clm27

RECIPE: Marshmallow topping?

clm27
19 years ago

Does anyone know of a topping I can make that doesnt get

hard when you top ice cream? All thats available in stores

nearest to me is Kraft marshmallow and it gets brittle,even

softening it in the microwave. I want something that stays

soft and creamy when its poured over ice cream.

Comments (38)

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

This one might work since it says you can use it warm or cool over ice cream. I would imagine it would work fine without the crushed peppermint, but I'd add a bit of vanilla if omitting the peppermint.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peppermint Marshmallow Sauce

• clm27
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Ginger.....Thanks for the reply, but your recipe has as an
    ingredientMarshmallow creme... I want to make a topping from scratch and I want it to be maleable like ice-cream so
    that when I top my ice-cream it wont turn hard like candy.
    I used to have a marshmallow sundae at a shop thet no longer exists and the sauce stayed liquid like thick cream
    and this is what I'm looking for. Anyone?

• Virginia7074
    19 years ago

I have a circa 1940s Ohio State Grange Cookbook that I'm pretty sure has some recipes for marshmallow topping in it. I'll go pull it out and see what I can fin.d

• Virginia7074
    19 years ago

Well, I was wrong. That Grange cookbook didn't have any marshmallow topping recipes, but it had 2 marshmallow frosting recipes. Maybe you could tweak them to make them thinner. I've made boiled white icing before, which has a marshmallowy texture and uses the same technique of pouring and beating a thin thread of boiled syrup into beaten egg whites.

Marshmallow Icing

1-1/2 cups sugar
    2 egg whites, beaten stiff
    1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
    marshmallows

Beat cream of tartar and 2 tablespoons sugar, taken from 1-1/2 cup, into egg whites. Boil sugar with enough water to dissolve until it spins a threat. Beat hot syrup into egg whites. Add marshmallows, cut in fourths. Beat until nearly cool. (Maybe if you didn't beat it so long?)

Fluffy Marshmallow Frosting

2 egg whites, beaten stiff
    2 cups sugar
    1/2 cups hot water
    1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    10 marshmallows, cut in bits

Cook sugar, water and cream of tartar to soft ball stage. Remove from stove. Pour 6 tablespoons syrup gradually over egg whites. Return remainder of syrup to stove, boil until it spins a thread. While this is cooking, beat whites briskly. Add remaining syrup slowly, then marshmallows. When about cold, add flavoring.

• clm27
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Virginia, thank you but I've tried something like this and
    its not it. What I should ask is "has anyone worked in a soda shop and made marshmallow sundaes and was the topping
    made on the premises or bought, some one must know how its made?I dont want it to candy up when its put on ice cream.

• abgardeneer
    19 years ago

Are you thinking of something like Seven Minute Frosting (which always strikes me as being very like marshmallow cream, without the "rubbery"-ness)?

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

Scroll down to the last recipe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marshmallow Sauce Recipe

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

Here's an ice cream topping that uses whole marshmallows, not the marshmallow creme. (from makeicecream.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Marshmallow Ice Cream Topping

• clm27
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Ginger...I am going to try the one for sauce as it might
    just work...the other for topping has marshmallows in it
    so I dont think its it. I have to get to the store,I seem
    to be out of syrup and gelatin.Its pouring rain today so I
    might not get there today. I will post my results as soon
    as I try this. Thanks. DH also cleaned out the vanilla ice
    cream so have to pick it up also.

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

I'd like to hear how it comes out. I used to get sundaes with chocolate ice cream & marshmallow topping long ago & know the kind of topping you mean.

• roselin32
    19 years ago

A man that owned an old fashioned soda fountain in South Dakota told me to make it this way:
    Make a simple syrup-1c sugar to 3/4c water-cook til the sugar dissolves, cool and stir in one jar of marshmallow fluff. You have to mix it in very well but I've tried it and it is what I remembered also.
    RL`

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

I can't remember if the topping was warm when they put it on the ice cream, I just remember them spooning it from the built-in metal container.

• roselin32
    19 years ago

No, I never had it warm. Only thing warm was the Hot Fudge.
    RL`

• ruthanna_gw
    19 years ago

I just viewed the index for the book Square Meals on the internet. They have a chapter on classic ice cream parlor treats and there is a marshmallow ice cream sauce listed. I have the book at home and will check it out as soon as I get there after work.

• roselin32
    19 years ago

Ruthanna,
    I have the cookbook too and there are two recipes:
    Marshmallow Sauce
    8 oz marshmallows
    2T water
    3/4c sugar
    1/4c milk
    1T light corn syrup
    1 tsp vanilla
    In top of double boiler, melt marshmallows with water. Leave in double boiler and set aside.
    In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, milk, and corn syrup.
    Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Pour this liquid over marshmallows and whisk until smooth.
    Sauce will thicken as it cooks.
    Remove from heat, add vanilla, and serve at room temperature.
    Makes enough for 4-6 sundaes

The other recipe is for a "Golden Marshmallow Sauce"-if anyone wants it, I'll be glad to post it.
    RL`

• ruthanna_gw
    19 years ago

Thanks, Roselin. If I had to narrow down my whole cookbook collection to 5 cookbooks, that would be one of them. I bought it when it first came out and it's so much fun to read.

• Lisa_in_Germany
    19 years ago

That stuff sounds delicious. I have never met a marshmallow anything that I didn't like! LOL
    Lisa

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

Oh, post the Golden Marshmallow Sauce recipe. PLEASE!

• roselin32
    19 years ago

Here you go, Ginger:
    Golden Marshmallow Sauce
    1/4c boiling water
    1c dark brown sugar
    1 c mini marshmallows or quartered large ones
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    Add boiling water to sugar and cook until a little less than softball stage is reached (about 220°) Pour in marshmallows beating steadily with an electric beater over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat, add vanilla and serve warm or at room temp. Enough for 4 sundaes.

You can probably keep Ruthanna and me busy just posting recipes from this cookbook!! Hot Fudge, Raspberry, Caramel, Butterscotch sauces anyone??
    RL`

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

Well, the caramel WOULD be nice. . .

I sort of like the idea of the brown sugar with the marshmallows.

• roselin32
    19 years ago

I had forgotten how enjoyable this cookbook is-thanks for reminding me, Ruthanna.
    Now this Caramel Sauce is a REAL "tuffie", Ginger
    30 caramel squares
    1/4c water
    Melt caramels and water in the top of a double boiler, stirring occasionally.
    Serve warm
    RL`

• clm27
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Ginger StThomas.....and all the other gals who tried to help... most of the ones I tried( yes Ginger,yours) were
    definitely not like what I'm trying to find and right about
    now "I quit" they were all like eating icing on icecream
    and I wont be able to eat another drop without getting ill.Thanks anyway.

• roselin32
    19 years ago

CLM, which ones did you try?
    RL`

• clm27
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Roselin.... On of the last ones I tried said to melt one
    cup of mallows & 2/3 cup of cream over hot water and beat,
    it seemed to be the creamest but still tasted like frosting
    I'm sorry but they all did and thats not the way I remember the marshmallow sundaes. But I will say that they all would be alright as cake toppings but over ice cream it
    is disgustingly sweet. I did not try the one with b.sugar.

• roselin32
    19 years ago

Okay, thanks.
    RL`

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

Ahh, too bad!

• Lisa_in_Germany
    19 years ago

I have also found that childhood favorites always tend to taste different to adult taste buds. There are several things that I have not eaten since I was a kid and when I try them now it just doesn't have the same effect it did then.
    Lisa

• roselin32
    19 years ago

I think that is true, Lisa, and things that you couldn't have paid me to eat as a kid now make a regular appearance on our table and we enjoy them.
    RL`

• clm27
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Lisa and Roselin....I have to agree with you up to a point,
    Things you remember can taste diff. to you now, as you do
    change your tastes but I remember diff. dishes that I loved and if I can accurately duplicate the ingredients and
    the way they were made, I find they are just as I remember
    them BUT I dont allways fancy them as I did. The toppings
    and sauces I tried came no where near what I remember and
    all tasted like sweet icing. Also you are both right as I
    eat and like things now I absolutely refused to eat as a
    child and then there are things I loved ,I wont touch now.
    I still hope I find that recipe but in the meantime I am
    orging myself on fresh strawberries and heavy cream, mmmmm!

• woodie
    19 years ago

Why did I ever come over to the dessert exchange????? Not only do I now absoslutely have to have a chocolate malted but I have to go back the next day and have a marshmallow sundae, another delicious childhood memory and something I haven't had in 100 years:)

Unfortunately, DH was playing golf this afternoon and I couldn't get to the ice cream store for the malted. So now my dilemma will be tomorrow - what'll it be - malted or marshmallow sundae?

• clm27
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Woodie! Just when I think I've laid ny marshmallow sundae
    cravings to rest,you come along and start them all over
    again! Please! Can you describe what you remember having
    as aMarshmallow sundae? What I remember is that it did not
    taste like cake frosting!!!It definetly is not the Kraft
    stuff that hardens when you put it on ice cream.My tum tum
    is still upset from tasting all the recipes I tried, I am
    sure I went into shock from all that sugar....think I'll
    go see if I can scare up a malted.......

• woodie
    19 years ago

OMIGOD, CLM, you poor little thing!!!!!! Sugar overload can be a scary thing:)

Maybe you should ask this question over on The Cooking Forum. There are some folks over there who probably don't read The Dessert Exchange. Come on over - you'll like it there! We all love to talk and talk and talk about food, how to cook it, how to serve it, how to purchase it, how to make it better, and there's nothing we all like better than a challenge.

I don't have a recipe, let's make that clear. What I remember is a soft, almost liquid, thick like hot fudge but cool, not warm, (maybe it started out warm), it stayed liquid, it didn't get hard, it tasted like sweet egg whites, like sweet meringue only liquid. I can just taste it and feel it in my mouth right this minute!

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

Any marshmallow sauce is going to be very sweet when you consider what marshmallows are made from.

• ruthanna_gw
    19 years ago

I called my 88 year old 2nd cousin Bobby, who used to own a pharmacy with a soda fountain and asked him if he remembered marshmallow sauce. He said as best he remembered, it was made out of water, clear corn syrup, vanilla and lots of powdered egg whites, although he didn't have any idea any more of the amounts of the ingredients.

He said it became popular during WW II because most of the chocolate was being used for the Armed Forces and the powdered egg whites were not subject to rationing like whole eggs were. After WWII, customers were happy to have chocolate syrup freely available but still liked the marshmallow sauce so it wan't until then that CMP sundaes made their appearance.

It doesn't really help in your quest for the sauce but it was an interesting history lesson. LOL

• clm27
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Ruthanna, I wish your Cousin Bobby could remember how the
    ingredients were put together,then maybe I could try to
    whip up something.
    Woodie2 described it very much like I remember it but all the recipes, I tried were very sugar icing tasting and yes
    Ginger ST.Thomas I know one would expect that to a point,
    but there was a distinct flavor to it that I am not getting
    with these recipes so maybe it has something to do with the
    eggwhites?

• ruthanna_gw
    19 years ago

I think I know the flavor you're describing because I used to get the same kind of marshmallow sauce on the banana splits at the Dairy Queen when I was growing up. I bet it is the flavor of the powdered egg whites. They do have them in the baking section of our grocery store and maybe you could just get a can and start experimenting.

• roselin32
    19 years ago

The other day, I made the recipe that I had posted above but used only 1/3c of the simple syrup. To date, it has not hardened and is just what I remember from way back when....
    RL`

• momto4kids
    19 years ago

CLM, Have you tried this one:

Marshmallow Sauce
    18 marshmallows
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    Heat marshmallows and cream in top of double boiler over boiling water, folding and stirring until marshmallows are almost melted. Add vanilla and continue cooking and stirring until completely melted and well blended with cream. Serve hot. Sauce will thicken as it cools.
    Makes just over 1 cup.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Food