Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Rhubarb cream pie

Posted by Dances_in_Garden (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 05 at 14:10

Not Rhubarb CUSTARD pie. Think more like a pudding than a solid custard. My fathers favourite recipe used to be in the Betty Crocker cookbook binder (the one with the plaid, now the Good Housekeeping one looks the same but doesn't have that recipe).

I made a custard pie this weekend and he liked it - but it wasn't "The Pie". I thought it was gross! I don't like the texture of stiff custards with fruit in them - yuck.

Anybody have a rhubarb cream pie recipe to share?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Rhubarb cream pie

I have that Betty Crocker cookbook & there isn't a Rhubarb Cream pie in it. There's a Rhubarb Custard, though.

o

Would you mind posting it for me? I am sure that is the right one. It must be a custard, but maybe not as firm or eggy as the others I have tried.

Please pretty please with rhubarb on top ;)?

o

Happy to. This is a complete reprint cookbook of the 1950 Betty Crocker.
RHUBARB CUSTARD PIE (9" pie)
Fill pastry-lined pie pan with rhubarb custard filling. Use:

Beat slightly. . .
3 eggs
Mix together & stir in. . .
2 cups sugar
4 TBL flour
3/4 tsp nutmeg

Mix in. . .
4 cups cut-up pink rhubarb

Dot filling in pan with. . .
` TBL butter

Cover with lattice top. Bake until nicely browned. Serve slightly warm. (Preheated 400 oven for 50-60 minutes.)

Seems pretty eggy to me unless the rhubarb gives up a lot of juice during baking. Let me check another old cookbook I have & see if there's a cream recipe.

o

This one's from my Mom's cookbook from 1944 but it has gelatin in it.
RHUBARB WHIPPED CREAM PIE
2 TBL unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup cold water
2 1/2 cups stewed rhubarb
1 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream, whipped
1 Cereal Flake Pie Shell (?)

Soften gelatin in water. Heat rhubarb & sugar to boiling; add gelatin & stir until dissolved. Cool; when mixture begins to thicken fold in whipped cream. Pour into pie shell & chill. Makes 1 9" pie.

(The cover's gone from this book but it's a green cookbook & was really common back in the 40's & 50's, so he might remember his mother using it.)

o

Thank you very much Ginger!

o

The 1950 Betty Crocker Rhubarb Custard Pie recipe that Ginger posted is my family's favorite pie recipe. My mother made one every spring, using tender hot house rhubarb and I have carried the tradition on in my family. We all love it!

o

Thanks Linda! It's good to get another recommendation for it!

o

Just now seen this post. I have a recipe for a custard rhubarb pie that is good. You bake the crust first, then make a custard filling. The rhubarb is cooked, sweetened, and thickened and you pour that on top of the custard filling and put meringue over that and brown. I think it's good. If your interested, I will post it. :)

o

This is an old recipe from my days in Wiscinsin... it's not a custard -- no eggs.

Country Rhubarb Pie

1 1/2 cups sugar
2Tb flour
1 c whipping cream
3 c rhubarb

Mix sugar & flour, add cream, mix. Place rhubarb in perared pie shell.
Pour liquid mixture over rhubarb.

Bake @425 for 5 minutes
Reduce to 325 for 55 minutes

o

My Mother modified the Betty Crocker Rhubarb Custard Pie into what became our family's favorite. She simplified it - calling it her 1-2-3 Rhubarb Custard Pie. It's a deep dish covered fruit pie.

1 cup sugar
2 eggs
3 cups diced rhubarb

Put the rhubarb into the pie shell and cover it with the sugar. Beat the eggs thoroughly to make them a bit light, and pour over the rhubarb and sugar. Cover with rolled-out piece of pie dough, or make a lattice covering. Bake as you would a fruit pie, 400 deg. for about an hour. (Don't beat the sugar into the eggs or the consistency won't be anything like custard.)
Enjoy!
Roger

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here