Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dances_in_garden

LOOKING for: Rhubarb cream pie

dances_in_garden
18 years ago

Not Rhubarb CUSTARD pie. Think more like a pudding than a solid custard. My fathers favourite recipe used to be in the Betty Crocker cookbook binder (the one with the plaid, now the Good Housekeeping one looks the same but doesn't have that recipe).

I made a custard pie this weekend and he liked it - but it wasn't "The Pie". I thought it was gross! I don't like the texture of stiff custards with fruit in them - yuck.

Anybody have a rhubarb cream pie recipe to share?

Comments (10)

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

I have that Betty Crocker cookbook & there isn't a Rhubarb Cream pie in it. There's a Rhubarb Custard, though.

• dances_in_garden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Would you mind posting it for me? I am sure that is the right one. It must be a custard, but maybe not as firm or eggy as the others I have tried.

Please pretty please with rhubarb on top ;)?

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

This one's from my Mom's cookbook from 1944 but it has gelatin in it.
    RHUBARB WHIPPED CREAM PIE
    2 TBL unflavored gelatin
    1/2 cup cold water
    2 1/2 cups stewed rhubarb
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup heavy cream, whipped
    1 Cereal Flake Pie Shell (?)

Soften gelatin in water. Heat rhubarb & sugar to boiling; add gelatin & stir until dissolved. Cool; when mixture begins to thicken fold in whipped cream. Pour into pie shell & chill. Makes 1 9" pie.

(The cover's gone from this book but it's a green cookbook & was really common back in the 40's & 50's, so he might remember his mother using it.)

• dances_in_garden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you very much Ginger!

• linda1950smodel
    18 years ago

The 1950 Betty Crocker Rhubarb Custard Pie recipe that Ginger posted is my family's favorite pie recipe. My mother made one every spring, using tender hot house rhubarb and I have carried the tradition on in my family. We all love it!

• dances_in_garden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Linda! It's good to get another recommendation for it!

• marylmi
    18 years ago

Just now seen this post. I have a recipe for a custard rhubarb pie that is good. You bake the crust first, then make a custard filling. The rhubarb is cooked, sweetened, and thickened and you pour that on top of the custard filling and put meringue over that and brown. I think it's good. If your interested, I will post it. :)

• CA Kate z9
    18 years ago

This is an old recipe from my days in Wiscinsin... it's not a custard -- no eggs.

Country Rhubarb Pie

1 1/2 cups sugar
    2Tb flour
    1 c whipping cream
    3 c rhubarb

Mix sugar & flour, add cream, mix. Place rhubarb in perared pie shell.
    Pour liquid mixture over rhubarb.

Bake @425 for 5 minutes
    Reduce to 325 for 55 minutes

• rogercoe
    18 years ago

My Mother modified the Betty Crocker Rhubarb Custard Pie into what became our family's favorite. She simplified it - calling it her 1-2-3 Rhubarb Custard Pie. It's a deep dish covered fruit pie.

1 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    3 cups diced rhubarb

Put the rhubarb into the pie shell and cover it with the sugar. Beat the eggs thoroughly to make them a bit light, and pour over the rhubarb and sugar. Cover with rolled-out piece of pie dough, or make a lattice covering. Bake as you would a fruit pie, 400 deg. for about an hour. (Don't beat the sugar into the eggs or the consistency won't be anything like custard.)
    Enjoy!
    Roger