Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Flourless Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Glaze

Posted by LoriJean44 (My Page) on
Tue, May 18, 04 at 7:34

We had a small bake-off at the office yesterday. I was fortunate to win with the following recipe for a flourless chocolate cake. It was very easy and oh so rich!

Flourless Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Glaze
10 12 servings
Bon Appetit January 1999

Cake
12 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
cup (1 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
6 large eggs, separated
12 tablespoons sugar, divided
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Glaze
cup whipping cream
cup dark corn syrup
9 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped

Chocolate shavings or Gold-brushed Chocolate Leaves

For Cake: Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter 9-inch-diameter springform pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper or waxed paper, butter paper. Wrap outside of pan with foil. Stir chocolate and butter in heavy medium saucepan over low heat until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Cool to lukewarm, stirring often.

Using electric mixer, beat egg yolks and 6 tablespoons sugar in large bowl until mixture is very thick and pale, about 3 minutes. Fold lukewarm chocolate mixture into yolk mixture, then fold in vanilla extract. Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites in another large bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 6 tablespoons sugar, beating until medium-firm peaks form. Fold whites into chocolate mixture in 3 additions. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake cake until top is puffed and cracked and tester inserted into center comes out with some moist crumbs attached, about 50 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack (cake will fall).

Gently press down crusty top to make evenly thick cake. Using small knife, cut around pan sides to loosen cake. Remove pan sides. Place 9-inch-diameter tart pan bottom or cardboard round atop cake. Invert cake onto tart pan bottom. Peel off parchment paper.

For Glaze: Bring cream and corn syrup to simmer in medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Add chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth.

Place cake on rack set over baking sheet. Spread cup glaze smoothly over top and sides of cake. Freeze until almost set, about 3 minutes. Pour remaining glaze over cake; smooth sides and top. Place cake on platter. Chill until glaze is firm, about 1 hour. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover with cake dome; store at room temperature.) Garnish with chocolate shavings or leaves. Serve at room temperature.

Lori

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Flourless Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Glaze

Wow!thAT looks incredible!
Congratulations, I can't wait to try the recipe, thanks for sharing.
alice

o

Lori, congrats on winning with this recipe! I was doing a search for Flourless Chocolate Cake, and this came up. We're having our good friends over for dinner for their 25th anniversary, and she has celiac disease. She can't have any foods that contain gluten, so the flourless cake will be perfect. Thanks for posting the recipe.

o

Haven't checked over here in a while! Did you have a chance to try the cake, DebraAnne?

Lori

o

Thanks, LoriJean. This looks delicious. (I peeked at the photo you posted on Bon Appetit thread on the CF. All your other creations looked marvelous as well!) Will definitely try this once I get my hands on some corn syrup (not easy to get here).

o

Lori, that cake does sound delicious, and other than the corn syrup and the sugar (which I can substitute Splenda for in the recipe), it would be perfect for our low-carb diet. Would anyone have any ideas as to what I could possibly substitute for the corn syrup? I'd really like to surprise my hubby with it (he loves his dessert).

o

Donna, this site gives suggestions for substitutions for corn syrup. The Splenda website gives further tips for substituting Splenda for other sweeteners. Hope this works for you!

Lori

o

Lori, thanks for both sites. Hubby will definitely be pleased.

o

You're welcome, Donna. I'm anxious to hear how it turns out with the sweetener substitutions. Keep me posted! ;-)

Lori

o

That is beautiful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here