Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
recipe: pms espresso-chocolate-walnut brownies

Posted by Debbie814 (My Page) on
Sun, May 23, 04 at 6:35

Here's a fun recipe taken from the "Dressed to Grill" cookbook that I received from Claire in the cooking forum swap.

PMS Espresso-Chocolate-Walnut Brownies

(Light, gooey and very chocolaty, with just the right amount of buzz to counter a monthly mood attack. On the bodacious brownie scale, a 10!)

Vegetable-oil cooking spray

cups chopped walnuts

1 cup cake flour, or cup all purpose flour

cup unsweetened cocoa powder

teaspoon kosher salt

teaspoon baking powder

1 tablespoons finely ground espresso beans

3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped

cup (1 sticks) unsalted butter at room temp

1 cups sugar

3 large eggs, lightly beaten

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 x 8" baking dish with cooking spray. Line the pan with aluminum foil; then spray the foil with cooking spray.

Spread the walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in the oven until lightly browned, about 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Meanwhile, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder into a small bowl. Stir in the ground espresso and set aside.

Fill a medium saucepan one-third full with water and bring to a simmer. Place the chocolate and butter in a large heat proof bowl and set over the simmering water. Turn the heat to low. Melt the chocolate and butter, stirring frequently, until completely smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the sugar. Whisk in the eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture just until the flour is absorbed. Stir in the nuts.

Pour the batter evenly into the pan. Bake until a crust forms on top and the center is still somewhat gooey, but not "Baywatch" jiggly, about 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in the pan set on a rack. Refrigerate 2 hours. Cut into 1 inch squares to serve.

Makes 64 bite size brownies.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: recipe: pms espresso-chocolate-walnut brownies

Think you could use instant coffee?

o

Ginger, I'd give it a try with the instant if you can't get the espresso beans. I'm going to buy a very small quantity just for the recipe.

o

OK, thanks Debbie!

o

This sounds really great but for some reason I can't see any of the fractions, they all show as asterisks. *

Could you give the fraction amounts please? I'd love to try these.

o

3/4 cups chopped walnuts

1 cup cake flour, or 3/4 cup all purpose flour

1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

3/4 teaspoon baking powder

1 1/2 tablespoons finely ground espresso beans

3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temp

1 1/2 cups sugar

3 large eggs, lightly beaten

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 x 8" baking dish with cooking spray. Line the pan with aluminum foil; then spray the foil with cooking spray.

Spread the walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in the oven until lightly browned, about 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Meanwhile, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder into a small bowl. Stir in the ground espresso and set aside.

Fill a medium saucepan one-third full with water and bring to a simmer. Place the chocolate and butter in a large heat proof bowl and set over the simmering water. Turn the heat to low. Melt the chocolate and butter, stirring frequently, until completely smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the sugar. Whisk in the eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture just until the flour is absorbed. Stir in the nuts.

Pour the batter evenly into the pan. Bake until a crust forms on top and the center is still somewhat gooey, but not "Baywatch" jiggly, about 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in the pan set on a rack. Refrigerate 2 hours. Cut into 1 inch squares to serve.

o

I finally made these brownies tonight and they are just as the recipe states - light, gooey and very chocolaty. On the bodacious brownie scale, a 10!

o

Uh, does 'PMS' stand for what I think it does?

o

This just may be one of my Wednesday morning office offerings.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here