Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carla35_gw

LOOKING for: Dessert Ideas

carla35
18 years ago

I need to make a dessert for an outside dinner function for my church. The desserts need to be in individual servings and not need refrigeration.

I'm guessing most people will make brownie/Rice Krispie's treat type things, but I'm looking for something extra special (but not "too" hard) to make. --Maybe something esepecially for the kids...Any ideas? Thanks.

Comments (5)

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    18 years ago

These are always a big hit, you can do the recipe below, but I just use the shortcut, nestle tollhouse cookie dough on the bottom layer in a 9x13 pan, prepare Brownie Mix from a box for the top layer and bake according to the directions on the brownie box.
    --------------------------------------

Double Decker Brownie Cookie Bars
    Chocolate Chip Cookie Layer:
    12 tablespoons (1-1/2 sticks) butter, cut into tablespoon slices
    1 cup firmly-packed light brown sugar
    1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1 large egg, at room temperature
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Brownie Layer:
    12 tablespoons (1-1/2 sticks) butter, cut into tablespoon slices
    3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
    1-1/2 cups sugar
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    2 large eggs, at room temperature
    1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    3/4 cups all-purpose flour

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Place rack in the middle of the oven. Line a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with non-stick foil or grease with butter or shortening.

Chocolate chip cookie layer preparation:
    Melt butter over medium heat or slowly in the microwave.
    Remove from heat and whisk in brown sugar until smooth. Set aside to
    cool to room temperature, but still liquid.

Chocolate chip cookie top layer:
    Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Stir with a fork or dry whisk until evenly mixed. Combine flour mixture with cooled butter/brown sugar mixture until smooth. Whisk in 1 egg and vanilla extract, mixing again until smooth. Fold in chocolate chips.

Brownie layer:
    Melt butter over medium heat or slowly in the microwave. Remove from heat and whisk in cocoa powder. Scrape into medium-sized bowl with a spatula. Add sugar and salt, whisking to combine until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition until blended, adding vanilla extract with the last egg. Using a large spoon or spatula, mix in flour just until blended. Pour into prepared pan, and gently spread evenly over the cookie layer.

Bake about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with small gooey bits. Do not overbake. Cool to room temperature. Cut into bars to serve. Bars may be frozen up to 1 month. Double Decker Brownie Cookie Bars are good cold or at room temperature.

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

LEMON BARS DELUXE
    2 1/4 cup flour
    1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, plus additional for sprinkling
    2 sticks butter
    4 beaten eggs
    2 cups granulated sugar
    1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk together 2 cups of the flour & the confectioners' sugar. Cut in the butter until the mixture clings together. Press the dough into a 13x9x2" baking dish. Bake 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
    Meanwhile, beat together the eggs, granulated sugar & lemon juice. Mix the remaining 1/4 cup flour with the baking powder; stir into the egg mixture & pour over the hot baked crust. Bake for 25 minutes longer. Remove from the oven & sprinkle w/confectioners' sugar. Cool. Cut into squares.~~From Mountain Measures.

KILLER CUPCAKES (makes 20-22)
    Cupcakes:
    4 squares (4 oz) semisweet chocolate
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 sticks butter
    4 eggs
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 cup flour

Preheat oven to 350°. Line standard muffin tins w/paper cupcake liners. In the top part of a double boiler over simmering water, melt the chocolate w/the vanilla & butter. In a large bowl, beat the eggs until thick & add the sugar. Beat in the flour. Fold in the butter-chocolate mixture. Spoon into the prepared tins, filling the cups 2/3 full.

Filling:
    8 oz cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 egg, beaten
    Dash of salt
    3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Mix the cream cheese, sugar, egg & salt until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chips. Drop a rounded teaspoon of filling onto the top of each cupcake. Bake 30 minutes.~~

• bethe1
    17 years ago

I made Ginger's Lemon Bars a few days ago - they were delicious, but not quite lemon-y enough for me - I would suggest upping the lemon juice to 1/2c. - 2/3c.

• roselin32
    17 years ago

The lemon bars that I have been making for years has lemon zest in them also.
    RL`

• doucanoe
    17 years ago

A fruit pizza would be fun, as long as it doesn't have to sit out for hours and hours I think it would be a good choice. You could also make it in a rectangle on a cookie sheet and cut it in squares, just arrange the fruit to look pretty when cut into squares.

Fruit Pizza

Crust:
    1-1/2c flour
    1/4c sugar
    1/4c butter
    1/4c cooking oil
    3T cold water

Mix and press into 11 inch circle on pizza pan. Bake 12-14 minutes at 375F

Sauce:
    6oz cream cheese
    1/4c sugar
    1/2tsp vanilla

Beat until smooth and spread on crust

Strawberries, Kiwi, Grapes, Peaches, Pineapple, Blueberries, Raspberries, etc.
    Arrange your choice of fruits on top of sauce.

Glaze:
    1T cornstarch
    1T water
    1/4c fruit juice (any)
    3T powdered sugar

Whisk all ingredients together in small saucepan, bring to boil stirring constantly. Spread over fruit, chill well. Cut in wedges to serve.

Linda

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths