Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookingrvc_gw

RECIPE: Now about that Joyofbaking.com site...

cookingrvc
20 years ago

Well, that site will be the reason some folks on Long Island (and Maryland) are going to put on a few pounds.

Ginger noted the site last week and there are some very nice recipes there. I made the Pecan Custard tart and the Apple Tart with a cream cheese filling.

Being the novice (read that: lousy) baker that I am, I didn't bring the tart crust all the way up the pan. When I poured the custard mixture in, it overflowed and went under the tart pan, spilling onto the cookie sheet below and, um, burning. The tart was good, but I had to leave the word 'custard' out of my little sign at the office.

The apple cheese tart was the first to go, quite delicious. I doubled the filling and cooked it a bit longer and at a lower temp since the crust started to um, burn and the middle was still jiggling a bit.

Because I had so many recipes laying on the counter, I managed to also make a two crust pate brisee that I didn't need. What is wrong with me! They're in the freezer for another time.

Definately try the site. Good stuff.

Thanks Ginger.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Joyofbaking.com

Comments (6)

• Cindy_Mac
    20 years ago

I tried the apple cream cheese tart after Ann mentioned the site last year. It was good, but not near as good as another apple cake recipe she shared for Torta Di Mele Al Burro (Buttery Apple Cake).

{{gwi:1496914}}

Source: Savoring Italy by Michele Scicolone

1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    3 Apples (Golden Delicious) peeled, cored, and cut into slices 1/4 inch thick
    2/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 whole eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cups granulated sugar
    1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
    confectioners sugar

Preheat oven to 375°. Generously butter a 9-inch round cake pan. In a large frying pan over low heat, melt the butter. Pour 6 tablespoons of it into a small bowl or cup and set aside. Add the apple slices to the butter remaining in the frying pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.

In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, beat the whole eggs and egg yolk until blended. Add the 6 tablespoons melted butter, the vanilla, the granulated sugar, and the lemon zest. Stir in the flour mixture and the apples. Spoon into the prepared pan, smoothing the top.

Bake until the cake is browned, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool in the pan for 5 minutes.

Invert the cake onto a plate and lift off the pan, then invert the cake again onto the rack and let cool completely.

Just before serving, place confectioners sugar in a small sieve and dust the top of the cake.

~AnnT

Cindy's Notes: I use a combination of Cortand and MacIntosh apples.

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

I've never had a bad recipe from there.

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

The absolute BEST cinnamon bun recipe I've ever made came from there. Beats any I've seen posted. Do try them, if you get a chance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cinnamon Rolls

• cookingrvc
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Ginger, I did try those and they were good. However, I ran across a Cinnabon Clone recipe that turned out unbelievable buns and was easy to make - even for a baking impaired person such as myself. I believe it's further down in this forum.

I like the joyofbaking site and plan to try more of her recipes. The apple cheese was a great combination of flavors and a huge hit. Thanks again.

Sue

• cookingrvc
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Oops, sorry, the CInnabon clone recipe is in the Recipe forum.

sh

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

Really? I'll have to try that one. Thanks! (Although, can any cinnamon bun recipe be terrible?)