Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diykestrel

RECIPE: pre-baking pie crusts

For some reason whenever I try and pre-bake a pie crust the base remains uncooked inside even though the sides are flaky and golden. Even the surface of the base is a nice golden brown.

However, after I've baked the fillings in the crust, regardless of whether it's a quiche or a fruit pie, the base is still uncooked inside.

I've tried different thicknesses and even different recipes but always the same.

I (try to) pre-bake at 425 with the inside of the crust covered with aluminum foil and filled with dried lentils.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

Comments (11)

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Get some of those metal pie weights for pre-baking crusts. Do you use a glass pie plate?

• PRO
    Kestrel Shutters & Doors
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Ginger,

I do use glass pie plates. Have you noticed a difference with glass dishes?

Thanks,

Jim

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Maybe your oven isn't hot enough. Try baking on a lower shelf in the oven with the temp about 25° higher. If the edges start to brown too much, cover them with foil until the bottom browns more. I never have a problem with glass pie pans but I use the pie weights.

• lindac
    17 years ago

I use beans and have no problem...
    How thick is your crust? I notice no difference between the inside and the outside of my pastry crusts.
    I like a glass dish as they hold the heat better.
    At what temp and for how long are you baking your crusts?
    Remember a cooked crust is not necessarily browned....and if your crust is covered with foil, it won't get brown...but it will cook and become crisp.
    And what are you using for "grease"? Crisco? Butter, Lard? oil?
    Linda C

• PRO
    Kestrel Shutters & Doors
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Linda,

My crust is usually around 3/16" to 1/4" thick. I cook them at 425 for about 20 to 25 minutes. By that point they are brown.

I have used both oil and butter in my crusts. The crust near the top always turns out flaky and tasty but it's the base that is gummy inside.

I have also tried using an egg wash after they have cooled but before I out in fillings but with no difference.

I'm wondering if I should try a crust at a lower temperature but for a longer time.

Thanks again,

Jim

• lindac
    17 years ago

Roll your crust thinner.
    In my experience a butter or lard crust cooks better.
    Also...if your crust has browned on the edges but not completely cooked on the bottom, pop it into the microwave for a minute. It is possible to cook the crust entirely in the microwave ( in a glass pan of course) but foil and beans won't work to keep the crust in place as it warms....
    Are you taking the weights and the foil out of the crust after 10 minutes or so and then baking without the weights? The weights and foil keep the bottom from baking. You may have to cover the edges with foil when you put it back to bake the bottom.
    But remember, that even though the crust is baked to perfection, sitting for 24 hours with a wet filling or more will make the crust a little soggy.
    But I think rolling your crust thinner and returning to the oven after it's set without the weights should give a nice crisp crust.
    Linda C

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

You don't have to use foil with pie weights.

• lindac
    17 years ago

Every directions I have ever seen say to and I always do....makes it a lot easier to remove them, and you avoid dents in the raw dough
    Do you really put beans or the weights right on the pastry?
    Linda C

• ann_t
    17 years ago

I always preheat the oven to 425°F and place the pie on the bottom shelf and bake for about 20 minutes. I use parchment to line the crust. After 20 minutes remove the pie weights, prick the crust with a fork, raise the rack to the middle and put it back in the oven for another 10 minutes or so or until the crust is done.

Ginger, how do you remove the pie weights if you don't use foil or parchment?

Ann

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

I have weights that are like a string of beads only metal. I take tongs & pick up an end & remove.

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

See below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pie weights

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm