Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marylmi

RECIPE: Chocolate Wafers?

marylmi
18 years ago

I have several recipes that call for chocolate wafers and I can't find any. I wonder if they are like the vanilla wafers, only chocolate? I have looked for those and any other kind of a chocolate wafer but so far can't find anything even close to that. I'm looking at a recipe now that I got off one of the forums called 'Rich Chocolate Cheesecake' and the crust is made from chocolate wafer crumbs. I've asked at all the stores that I've looked in and they can't find anything that could be used either. Anyone know where I could find them? Thanks~

Comments (29)

• nancylouise5me
    18 years ago

I think the cookies the recipes are refering to are the Famous Chocolate wafers made by Nabisco. They are in a yellow box with a clear celophane (sp?) top. I think they come in a 9 ounce box. They are round and crispy and taste good on their own as well as being used in recipes. NancyLouise

• marylmi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for that information! I will try and find those tomorrow; I have never heard of those before. Grocery stores in my area are limited so I hope I can find them. Thanks so much.

• jenn
    18 years ago

My mom used to make the recipe that comes (came?) on the box. The box is square on the ends and is the length of one row of the cookies, the cookies being about 2-3" in diameter. I think I've always seen them in the same area as the sundae toppings or jars of marachino cherries, rather than the cookie aisle. Anyway, the recipe on the box went something like this: spread whipped cream on each cookie (using all the cookies in the box), stack them length-wise into a log shape, cover the whole log with whipped cream, then freeze. It was yummy!

Jen

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    18 years ago

This is what you're looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nabsico Chocolate Wafers

• lindac
    18 years ago

Hmm....I used to be able to buy something different.....not Nabisco. Don't know if I can still get them. They were in a green carton covered with cellophane....that is once you punctured the cellophane they were in just a cardboard tray.
    They were sooo good! I need to look further for them!
    Linda C

• marylmi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I looked today for them and no luck. :( I checked at Wal-Mart, Glen's Market, and a Carter's store and none of them had any. I asked the people stocking shelves and we looked all over with no luck and at the one store I asked the guy that did the ordering for the store, and he had never heard of them. I wonder, are they a speciality type cookie? I have one more store to check to see if they carry them....I'm keeping my fingers crossed! This last store is one that may try and order it if it's something they don't usually carry- at least that's what their ad says! By looking at the link that dishesdone posted, at least I had an idea what the pkg. looked like. I'll keep looking for them. I didn't know it was going to be this hard to find a little ole cookie! :) Thanks for all the info.

• marylmi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

dishesdone,
    That's a good site. The recipes sound good too. It's good to know I could always order them if I had to, but hopefully I can find them. I've been looking in the larger stores; maybe I should check the small ones too as sometimes you find things like that where you least expect them!

18 years ago

I haven't gotten them in a while but the regular supermarkets always carried them. and even the convenience stores. Check the ice cream section (they're good crushed up and sprinkled on ice cream, the baking section or the cookie aisle.

18 years ago

Mary, maybe Walmart carries Nabisco Oreo 100 calorie wafer cookies. I bet you could use those as a substitute for a crust if you can't find the Famous Wafers.

Here is a link that might be useful: 100 Calorie Packs Oreo Wafer Cookies

• marylmi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

dishesdone, When I checked today, I did look in the baking section along with the cookie and ice cream area. I did come across other types of cookies that weren't in the regular cookie section and thought for sure I'd find them there. Today I looked in a Walmart farther away from us but now that I know what to look for, I will look again in our local Walmart and I'll look for the 100 calorie pack too. Thanks for that link also. It sure helps to know what the pkg. looks like!

• jenn
    18 years ago

If you can't find them, there are other chocolate cookies without a cream center.

I wish I didn't see those Oreo wafer cookies!!!

• danain
    18 years ago

When a recipe calls for chocolate wafers I use the reduced fat Oreo's and crumb them in the food processor. That is what I use for my {{gwi:1496862}}. The cream center doesn't make a difference.

Marilyn

• marylmi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Marilyn, does that pie ever look good! Would you be willing to share your recipe? I'm glad to hear the Oreo's will work for a crust. I may have to do that. jenn, several days ago I bought some Dove Brand Chocolate Oasis Cookies. There is only 8 in a box (6oz.) There are nuts in them, but maybe they would be ok for the crust too. I'm getting more determined than ever to make that recipe, I sure hope it's good after all this searching! I'm sure it will be.

• danain
    18 years ago

Here's my chocolate pie recipe:

1 2/3 cups Oreo cookie crumbs (see below)
    1/3 cup butter; melted
    4 oz. cream cheese (room temperature)
    1 tablespoon milk
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 1/2 cups cold, heavy whipping cream
    3 tablespoons powdered sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
    2 1/4 cups milk
    2 (4 serving size) chocolate pudding mix

Spray a 9-inch pie plate with Pam. Combine cookie crumbs and butter and press in bottom and sides of prepared pie plate; refrigerate until ready to use.

Mix cream cheese, 1 tablespoon milk and 1 tablespoon sugar in a medium bowl with a wire whisk until smooth; set aside. Using a cold (preferably stainless steel) bowl and a wire whisk, whip heavy cream with 3 tablespoons powdered sugar and vanilla just until mixture forms stif peaks. (Do not over whip or youÂll make butter). Gently stir in 1 1/2 cups of the whipped cream (refrigerate the rest) into the cream cheese mixture and spread in bottom and up sides of crust; place in refrigerator while making pudding.

Cook pudding as directed on box except use only 2 1/4 cups milk (mixture will be thick). Lay plastic wrap directly on hot pudding, cool completely in refrigerator. Spread cooled pudding on top of cream cheese layer. Top pie with remaining whipped cream. Garnish with dark chocolate curls. Refrigerate 4 hours.

*Can be made with 2 (4 serving size) instant pudding and with 12oz. container of Cool Whip in place of the freshly whipped cream...but it won't be nearly as good.

**Pulse 20 Reduced Fat Oreos in the food processor to make crumbs. I like to use the reduced fat Oreos because they have less cream filling.

Marilyn

• rita10
    18 years ago

Publix here in FL keeps the wafer cookies by the icecream- my sister makes the recipe on the box- simple and amazingly good. I use chocolate graham crackers for crusts that I don't want the bits of oreo filling in. The kids eat the rest as coolwhip sanwiches.

• marylmi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Marilyn for that recipe. Now if I can just find those Oreos!! I'll be going shopping this weekend and will look again for the wafers.
    rita10, that's another thought, to use the chocolate graham crackers if I can't find the others.

• marylmi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I CAN'T BELIEVE I FOUND THEM!!!! Sorry to shout but can't help it! :) I looked at the one supermarket that I hadn't checked yet and right as I walked in, was the ice cream section with the various toppings, and lo and behold were those Nabisco Chocolate Wafers on the same shelf as the toppings! I bought two pkgs. of them. I went to Walmart before stopping there and they had the Oreo 100 calorie packs so I bought one of those. So now I'm all ready to try those recipes!! Thanks so much for all the help! If you all were closer I'd invite you for some dessert!

18 years ago

Glad you found them, Mary! Enjoy! Let us know how the cheesecake turned out!

• marylmi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Finally made the chocolate cheesecake...ummmmm.... good!! Those wafers are sure good with sherbet too, I'll have to buy more of the 100 calorie packs! Thanks again everyone.

• jannie
    17 years ago

I have a friend who makes a chocolate log cake every Christmas using Nabisco Famous Wafers and whipped cream. It is fantastic! I have a chocolate rum ball recipe that calls for these cookies crushed into crumbs. Another friend asked for the recipe,which I gave. She couldn't find the right cookies, so she used Oreos instead (regular sandwich cookies,with creme filling). She told me they came out terrible. Be very careful if you substitute! There's only one store near me that sells the Famous wafers, and I only see them around November-December. By the way, I recognize it by the picture of the chocolate log cake on the package.

• marylmi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

jannie,

Would you share that chocolate rum ball recipe? I think I'm hooked on these wafers now! :)

• rita10
    17 years ago

Found a recipe for the wafers- haven't tried it yet...I just jotted it down I'll look for the site if I can find again, looked possible tho, seemed like a lot of sugar?
    1 1/4 c flour
    1/2 c cocoa
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 1/2 c sugar
    1/2c + 2 TBSP butter(1 1/4 stick)room temp
    1 egg
    Process in food processor, drop, round & pat down on cookie sheets 375 for 9 min

• matador527
    17 years ago

I came across a recipe for "Booze Balls" on FoodNetwork.com that calls for these damned impossible-to-find chocolate wafers. They look like they would be so great...but the wafers are nowhere to be found. I tried to post the recipe, but I guess it's too long for here. Wish me luck in finding the wafers...I'll try WalMart again. NABISCO, IT'S PERSONAL NOW!!!

• marylmi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

matador527,

I couldn't find the Nabisco wafers at WalMart. I found them at one of our moderate-size grocery stores. I should get some more and freeze them. Hope you find them!

Good Luck!!

• ysop1016
    16 years ago

Pepperidge Farms just introduced Chocolate Chessmen cookies that would work.

• marylmi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

matador527, have you made those Booze Balls yet? I just looked up the recipe (glad this post got revived!) and will try them soon.

ysop1016, those cookies from Pepperidge Farms sound good; I'll see if I can find some of those!

• pvmj
    15 years ago

Has anyone ever made the Icebox Cake recipe with the wafers? My daughter fell in love with it when she had it at the Magnolia Bakery in NYC. She wants it to be her wedding cake. Any suggestions?

• nan8999_aol_com
    12 years ago

Keebler makes a chocolate graham cracker. I use them when I need to make a chocolate crumb crust. Very good.

• pjaxson
    12 years ago

if you find a good recipe, let me know mary! i would love to make the same thing

Sponsored