Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethe1

LOOKING for: Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Chip Cookies

bethe1
17 years ago

Since Ghirardelli is no longer making the Double Chocolate Chips, I don't have the recipe! There used to be a recipe on the bag of chips for either Double Chocolate Chip Cookies or Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies. They were the best! If anyone still has a bag of these chips and can forward the recipe, I would greatly appreciate it!

Comments (20)

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Am I understanding correctly that the cookie itself is chocolate too? I just have the regular Ghirardelli chips in my refrigerator.

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

There's contact info for Ghirardelli below if nobody has the recipe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ghirardelli

• bethe1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The cookie uses the Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Chips and cocoa to make the whole cookie chocolate - If you have a bag of the Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Chips, the recipe should be on the bag. Please forward if you have this recipe. Thanks.

• roselin32
    17 years ago

All I found was the recipe for chocolate chip cookies but don't see why you couldn't just add 1/3-1/2c unsweetened cocoa to that recipe.
    The recipe for the regular ones is on the website Ginger posted above.You might take a look at the Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookie recipe-it has melted chips in the dough and also expresso powder but am sure you could leave the expresso out if you wanted to.

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Roselin's correct. If you'd like a good tried & true recipe, try this one & see if it's close to the Ghirardelli one:
    CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES (about 3 dozen)
    1 3/4 cup flour
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    2 sticks butter, softened (1/2 lb)
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 cup[ granulated sugar
    1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
    1 egg
    1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    2 TBL milk
    1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
    6 oz semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour & baking soda. Set aside. Using a mixer, cream teh butter. Add the vanilla & sugars & beat until fluffy. Beat in the egg. At low speed, beat in the cocoa, then the milk. With a wooden spoon mix in the flour just until blended. Stir in the nuts & chocolate chips.
    Drop the dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto nonstick or foil-lined cookie sheets. Bake 12-13 minutes. Remove from the oven & cool slightly before removing from the cookie sheets. Cool on a rack.~~Winning at the Table

• kleinsm
    17 years ago

bethe1,
    a friend swears she has this recipe and is going to give me a copy tonight. you can email me this weekend and I'll be glad to pass it along.

ninjaprincess73 [at] gmail [dot] com

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Why not post it so we can all try it?

• jenn
    17 years ago

Yeh, please post it! :-)

• lisbet
    17 years ago

Could this be the Recipe you are looking for ??

Here is a link that might be useful: Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Cookie

• bethe1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

lisbet: that's not it - thanks for the link - the one I used to have had cocoa in it, not melted chips. It didn't have nuts either. I emailed ninjaprincess, but haven't heard from her - if I do, I will be sure to post it - it's worth having!

• roselin32
    17 years ago

The recipe that Ginger posted (and I just found the identical recipe in another source) has cocoa in it and you could always just leave the nuts out. Was there something else in them that you haven't mentioned? This recipe is also called "Double Chocolate Chip Cookies".

• bethe1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ginger's posted recipe is probably the closest - I don't remember there being any milk in my recipe, and I think there were 2c. of chocolate chips....I'm remembering less and less as the months go by! :-)

• blizlady
    17 years ago

I found this recipe that someone posted saying it was on the back of a bag of ghirardelli white chocolate chips. Maybe you can substitute the double chocolate chips for the white.

"This recipe was in the cookbook which came in a Ghirardelli gift basket. I believe itÂs also on the back of their white chips. Not being a huge fan of white chips, I just used chocolate.

These are really good. TheyÂre not at all chewy, but I wouldnÂt call them cakey either. TheyÂre tender, bordering on fudgy, and puffy. The dough is basically a good transport system for the chocolate chips, so use really good chocolate chips. Oh, and Ghirardelli cocoa powder is really good."

Double Chocolate Cookies

1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
    2 cups granulated sugar
    2 large eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/4 cups Ghirardelli premium unsweetened cocoa
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    2 cups Ghirardelli classic white chips

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In bowl of electric mixer, beat butter with sugar at medium speed until creamy. Add eggs, beating at low speed until combined. Add vanilla. Add flour, unsweetened cocoa and baking powder to creamed mixture and fold until combined. Fold in chips. Roll into 1-inch balls and place on a baking sheet. Allow 3 inches between cookies. Bake at 300 degrees for 16 to 18 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before removing from baking sheets. Makes 3 1/2 dozen cookies.

• booly_moose-mail_com
    17 years ago

This is the recipe I have on the bag that I saved, for the same reason: most delicious cookies EVER! Not sure if it's exactly the same as the one you're remembering, but it's taken directly from a bag of Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Chips.

Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 bars (8oz) Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Baking bars, broken into 1" pieces
    3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
    1/4 cup butter, softened
    2 eggs
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    1/2 cup flour
    1/4 tsp baking powder
    1 cup Ghirardelli double chocolate baking chips

Preheat oven to 350. Place semi-sweet chocolate in a large bowl in microwave oven for 1 1/2 minutes. Remove & stir. If not melted, return to microwave and repeat heating step, stirring every 30 seconds. When small lumps remain, remove and continue to stir to complete melting. Stir in sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla. Stir flour with baking powder; add to chocolate mixture, mixing well. Fold in chocolate chips. Drop by 1/4 cup onto ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool 1 minute on baking sheet; remove to wire cooling racks. Makes 9 big cookies.

• maureen_me
    17 years ago

Just FYI: Ghirardelli didn't stop making the Double Chocolate Chips, they just tweaked the recipe and renamed them, and they weren't clear about that fact for a while. But now they mention it on their site, at the page for what are now called 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chips.

Apparently they didn't realize the potential for nationwide panic. I personally hyperventilated for a week until a friend set me straight. ;o)

I'm glad I peeked in here. Those recipes look wonderful.

Here is a link that might be useful: The chips formerly known as Double Chocolate

• maureen_me
    17 years ago

My FYI needs its own FYI. I just looked again at the link I posted above. Ghirardelli should hire a proofreader. The text says Cacao, but the label on the bag says Cocoa.

• bethe1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

To Maureen me: I wrote to Ghirardelli - it's a different recipe; it's been awhile so I can't quite remember all the differences, but(and it's a big but for me!), the 60% Cocoa chips are double the size! I don't really want my chips to be that big!

To Anita: thanks for that recipe - It looks wonderful and I might try it, but it's still not exactly what I remember! The ones I made way back when didn't require melting of chocolate bars; dry cocoa was used....

I have finally decided that Ginger St Thomas' recipe above is the closest to what I remember. I do use a lot more chocolate chips than her recipe calls for....call me crazy! I use 2 cups instead of 6 oz (which is probably close to a cup).

• ann_t
    17 years ago

bethel, Here is another Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe for you to compare.

Ann

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

Double Chocolate Cookies
    Yield: 24 cookies
    12 ounce(s) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
    11 1/2 ounce(s) 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
    6 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
    3 eggs
    1 cup(s) sugar
    1/3 cup(s) all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
    1 cup(s) chopped walnuts

Directions
    In double boiler over hot water, melt bittersweet chocolate chips and butter. In large bowl with electric mixer or whisk, beat eggs and sugar until thick; stir in chocolate mixture. In small bowl, stir together flour and baking powder; stir into chocolate mixture. Gently mix in semi-sweet chocolate chips and walnuts. On a sheet of plastic wrap, form dough into two logs, each 2 inches in diameter and about 8 inches long. Wrap tightly; refrigerate at least 1 hour or until firm. (Dough may be frozen; thaw in refrigerator before proceeding with recipe.) Heat oven to 375°F. Unwrap dough; with sharp knife, cut into 3/4-inch slices. Place slices 1 1/2 inches apart on greased or parchment-lined cookie sheet.

Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until shiny crust forms on top but interior is still soft. Cool on baking sheet; store in airtight tin up to 1 week

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ghirardelli.com/bake/recipe.aspx?id=1071

• Dee Vernier
    6 years ago

Might this be the recipe you are looking for???

Double Chocolate Brownie Cookie

6 Tbsp. Butter ¼ tsp. baking
    powder

1 11.5 oz. Bag Ghirardelli ¼ tsp. salt

Double Chocolate Chips 1 cup sugar

(divided)
    3 eggs

½ cup
    unsifted four 1½ tsp. Vanilla

2 Tbsp. Ghirardelli 1 cup chopped walnuts

Unsweetened Cocoa
    (optional)

Melt
    the butter and 1 cup of the chocolate chips in a double boiler over hot, but
    not boiling water. Stir occasionally
    until the chocolate mixture is smooth; set aside. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and
    salt; set aside. In a large mixing bowl,
    cream the sugar, eggs and vanilla. Stir
    in the chocolate mixture and flour mixture until blended; add the remaining
    double chocolate chips. Add walnuts if
    desired. Cover and chill for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Shape the dough into 1 inch balls, using
    cookie scoop. Bake on an ungreased
    cookie sheet 2 inches apart until puffed, about 10-12 minutes. Store in tightly covered container. Makes about 3½ dozen 2 inch cookies.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?