Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmama_gw

RECIPE: Recipes using buttermilk

cmama
14 years ago

I am looking for dessert or bread/muffin recipes which use buttermilk. Thanks.

Comments (8)

• lindac
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here's one:
    Carrot cake Julie Ts
    3 eggs
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    3/4 cup buttermilk
    2 cups sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    2 cups flour
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    2 tsps cinnamon
    1 8 oz can crushed pineapple, drained
    2 cups grated carrots
    1/2 cup raisins chopped with 1 Tablespoon of flour
    Buttermilk glaze
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1/4 cup buttermilk
    1/4 cup butter
    1 Tblsp light corn syrup
    1 tsp vanilla
    Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
    1/2 cup softened butter
    4 oz softened cream cheese
    1 tsp vanilla
    3 cups powdered sugar
    1 tsp orange juice
    1 tsp grated orange rind
    Preheat oven to 350
    With a mixer Beat eggs, add oil and buttermilk, sugar and vanilla. beat to combine. Stir together flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda and stir into batter. stir in pineapple, carrots and raisins.
    Pour into a greased 8 by 13 pan or 2 greased round 9 inch cake pans. Bake 35 to 45 minutes until set in the middle. Remove from the oven and immediatly spread with the buttermilk glaze. Cool completely and frost with the cream cheese frosting.
    Buttermilk glaze:
    In a medium sauce pan ( don't use a small pan) combine all ingredients but vanilla. Bring to a boil and cook 3 minutes stirring often...it will bubble a lot. It should be a light caramel color, stir in vanilla and pour over the cake
    Cream cheese frosting:
    Beat cream cheese and butter until light add vanilla powd. sugar and juice and rind...beat until smooth and frost the cooled cake.

And another.
    Buttermilk Refrigerator Rolls
    1 Package dry yeast
    1/2 cup warm water
    1/2 cup melted butter
    4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon soda
    2 cups buttermilk
    Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large mixing bowl. Let sit 5 minutes. Stir in butter
    Combine dry ingredients; add to yeast mixture along with buttermilk.
    Stir well. Turn dough out on a floured surface, knead gently a few times and shape into a ball. Place in greased bowl, cover, and refrigerate until needed. Keeps for one week.
    Break off a soft ball sized lump of dough and roll into a circle about 1/4" thick. Cut into pie shaped wedges and roll up from the wider edge into crescent shapes. You do not have to let them rise again.
    Bake on greased baking sheet at 400 for 8-10 minutes
    I'm glad you liked the rolls Emily. I'm about to make 300 of them for an upcoming event. I should have mentioned that the dough is very sticky after stirring. I scrape it onto my board and very gently knead in another 1/2 to 1 cup more flour. Just firm enough to handle. The flour is coating the outside of the gluten ball. Later, when punched down, I use enough flour to roll them out..it's actually more of a streching the ball into a flattish round. I try not to disturb the gluten sack. I do roll a bit, however.
    I'm not explaining it very well, but bread doughs can be managed by using flour on the outside and not incorporating it into the dough itself. This makes a lighter roll.

• ginger_st_thomas
    14 years ago

GINGERBREAD
    1 1/2 cup flour
    1 cup sugar
    2 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp sinnamon
    1/2 cup butter (1 stick) or shortening (margarine would work)
    1 egg, well beaten
    3 TBL molasses
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 scant tsp salt
    1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk mixed with a bit of vinegar)
    Preheat oven to 350°. Combine flour, sugar, ginger & cinnamon. Cut in butter or shortening. Reserve 1/3 cup of this crumbled mixture for topping. Add beaten egg to flour mixture. Stir in molasses. Dissolve soda & salt in buttermilk. Add to the other mixture. Pour into a greased 9" pan, sprinkle w/the reserved topping & bake 30 minutes.~~
    Serve with whipped cream.

• ginger_st_thomas
    14 years ago

BUTTERMILK PEACH PIE
    Pie crusts for 2 crust 9" pie
    1 cup sugar
    2 TBL flour
    2 eggs
    1/3 cup buttermilk
    2 TBL butter, mleted
    1 tsp vanilla
    3 cups peaches, peeled, sliced, fresh or frozen

Prepare pie crusts using a 9" deep dish pie plate. Combine sugar & flour in a large bowl; mix well. Stir in eggs, buttermilk, butter & vanilla. Add peaches, stirring well. Cover top of pie with remaining pie crust, fold edges under & flute (cut a few vent holes in top.)** Bake in a preheated 400° oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° & bake an additional 45-50 minutes or until crust is browned.~~And Roses for the Table
    **Can also cut the top crust into 1/2" wide strips & make a lattice design on the top of the pie.

• ginger_st_thomas
    14 years ago

Roselin posted this from Quick Cooking & it's really good.

Banana Snack Cake (Roselin)
    1/2c shortening
    3/4c packed brown sugar
    1/2c sugar
    2eggs
    1c mashed bananas (2-3 med)
    1 tsp vanilla
    2c flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2c buttermilk
    1/2c chopped nuts
    Frosting:
    1/2c brown sugar
    1/4c butter
    6T milk
    2 1/2-3c conf. sugar
    Mix shortening and sugars. Add eggs one at a time
    beating well after each. Add bananas and vanilla.Combine
    dry ingredients and add alternately with buttermilk.
    Stir in nuts and spread in a greased 9x13" pan.
    Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes til tests done.
    Cool and frost:
    Combine in a small saucepan brown sugar,
    butter, and milk. Boil and stir for 2 minutes.
    Cool to lukewarm and add conf. sugar until
    of spreading consistency. Frost cooled cake
    12 servings.

• gardendoc
    13 years ago

I have a question related to this. What's the best substitute for Buttermilk? Buttermilk is not available in my country.

I have come across what seems to be good recipes - only to balk and turn the page when I see that it calls for buttermilk.

Thank you!

G'Doc

• roselin32
    13 years ago

Just use a cup of milk mixed with a little vinegar or lemon juice.

• svenetos
    13 years ago

Here is a Buttermilk Scone Recipe with Raisins:

Ingredients

* 3 1/3 C. flour
    * 3 Tbs. sugar
    * 1 Tbs. baking powder
    * 1/4 tsp. salt
    * 3 eggs, lightly beaten
    * 3/4 C. buttermilk
    * 1 stick (4 oz.) chilled butter, cut into pieces
    * 1/2 C. golden raisins
    * 1/2 C. coarsely chopped walnuts.

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease a large baking sheet. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside 2 Tbs. of the beaten eggs for glazing the scones. In a small bowl, stir together the remaining eggs and the buttermilk; set aside.

Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the raisins and walnuts, and make a well in the center. Pour in the egg mixture and stir just until blended. Continue stirring the mixture until it forms a dough that can be gathered into a ball.

Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead it until smooth, 3-5 minutes. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out the dough to a 3/4 in. thick round, 9-10 inches in diameter. Using a sharp knife dipped in flour, cut the dough into 12 wedges. Transfer the wedges to the prepared baking sheet and brush the tops and the cut edges with the reserved beaten egg. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the scones are puffed and golden brown. Serve hot.

Yield: 1 dozen

• ann_t
    13 years ago

Here are a few recipes that I make using Buttermilk. As mentioned above, if you don't have buttermilk just add a little fresh squeezed lemon juice to your milk. Let it sit for a minute or two to thicken.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Almond Cake From Albufeira, Portugal
    ====================================

Bon Appetit, November 1977

1 cup all purpose flour
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 egg
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/3 cup melted butter cooled to room
    Temperature
    2/3 cup sliced almonds
    Hot Almond Syrup (recipe follows)

Hot Almond Syrup

3/4 cup granulated sugar
    6 tablespoons water
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    . Preheat oven to 350* F. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking
    soda and salt. Set aside. Beat egg, buttermilk and vanilla extract
    together until smooth. Stir in melted butter. Add flour mixture and mix
    with spoon until nearly smooth. Turn into a buttered 9" springform pan.
    Bake until center of cake springs back when lightly touched, about 35
    minutes. Remove from oven. While is hot, cover top with sliced almonds.
    Slowly pour Hot Almond Syrup even over, letting syrup soak into cake.
    Broil about 6" from heat until almonds are lightly toasted. Cool on
    rack 15 minutes. Using knife or spatula, loosen sides between pan and
    cake, then cool completely before releasing springform pan.

Almond Syrup

In 1-qt saucepan combine sugar and water. Boil until mixture reaches
    220* F on candy thermometer*. Remove from heat and stir I almond
    extract.

Edited: January 22nd, 2006

Be careful not to over cook the syrup or it will harden on top of the
    almonds rather than get absorbed into the cake. I don't use the
    thermometer. I just bring the syrup to a boil and cook for about one
    minute. There is so little syrup that it doesn't take long.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Oatmeal Pancakes
    ================

Http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/001893dees_oat meal_pancakes.php

Do you love oatmeal? Do you love pancakes? You should try them when they are one and the same. Seriously. Dee Johnston whipped up her favorite family recipe for a recent gathering of friends and this is now my new favorite pancake. Great smothered with butter and maple syrup (of course) and also leftover strawberries from strawberry shortcake. A little advanced planning is necessary as the oats must soak in buttermilk overnight. Yummmmm....

2 cups oats (the regular kind - Old Fashioned or Quick, not steel-cut and not instant)
    3 cups buttermilk
    3 eggs, well beaten
    1/2 cup flour
    1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    Dash salt
    1 tablespoon peanut oil
    Butter or extra vegetable oil for the griddle

Optional
    A basket of strawberries - stems removed, sliced, and macerated with 2 Tbsp of sugar for an hour, then slightly mashed
    Maple syrup
    Butter

1 Put oats into a large bowl, add the buttermilk. Let the oats soak in the buttermilk overnight.

2 Mix in the eggs, flour, baking powder, salt, and peanut oil.

Oatmeal-pancakes-1.jpg oatmeal-pancakes-2.jpg

Oatmeal-pancakes-3.jpg
    3 Then proceed as with any pancake recipe. Heat a flat iron surface - griddle or large pan - to medium high heat. Oil the pan with either a Tbsp of butter or vegetable oil. Ladle the pancake batter onto the griddle to the desired size, usually about 5 or 6 inches wide. When air bubbles start to bubble up to the surface at the center of the pancakes (about 2-3 minutes), use a flat spatula to flip them over. After a minute, peak under one for doneness. When golden or darker golden brown, they are done. Note that cooking the second side takes only about half as long as the first side. And the second side doesn't brown as evenly as the first side. Serve immediately or keep warm in the oven until ready to serve.

Serves 4-6.

Serve with butter, maple syrup, and macerated strawberries.

Country Biscuits
    ================

2 cups of flour
    1 Tablespoon of baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup shortening, lard, Crisco or butter (I use butter)
    1 cup of milk (cream) or buttermilk
    if using buttermilk add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda)

Optional. Add a little sugar if you prefer sweet rather than savory.

Mix the flour with the baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter/shortening until it resembles coarse meal. Stir milk or cream in to flour mixture. Mix quickly with fork until dough comes together. Using hands gently pat the ingredients together. Fold over once or twice or even three times if necessary. Do not over-handle.

Pat out to about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick on a lightly floured board. Cut with biscuit cutters and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake for approximately 12 to 15 minutes at 450°F.

TIP: Using your finger push a little dent into the middle of the biscuit. This helps the biscuit rise straight and prevents it from tipping over as it rises.

If making cheese biscuits add the mustard and cayenne to the dry ingredients and add the cheese after the shortening has been cut into the flour.

Tip: An easy way to cut the butter into the flour is to use a box grater. The large side of the grater makes the perfect size pieces of butter.

Options:

You can use any favourite cheese. Gorgonzola and other blue cheeses are wonderful with the addition of black pepper. Cheddar cheese is good with chives or green onions. Sometimes I add dry mustard and cayenne pepper. Or bacon or ham.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES