Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeaves101197

LOOKING for: Looking for some creative ideas (bakesale)

jeaves101197
15 years ago

Hi. I couldn't find a place to ask this question so I thought this place might be a good one. My Relay for Life team is having a bakesale and I've read alot about how packaging is key to making good sales. Some of the women are wanting to sell whole cakes and also cakes by the slice. What I was wondering is what is a nice and creative way to package whole cakes? I have tried to get our local bakery to donate some disposable cake containers but haven't heard back from them yet. Also, they aren't very pretty so I'm kinda wondering if we should even use them. Just can't think of any other way to package them nice and neat. Any advice would be appreciated. With all these wonderful recipes, I'm sure there is an AVID bakesaler out there somewhere with great ideas!!!

PS...We could really use some great bakesale recipes.

Thanks again,

jeaves

Comments (10)

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

If the bakeries don't donate the cake boxes (you might offer to have their business cards on display or a signs saying the boxes were donated by XYZ Bakery) you can purchase the boxes.

Not sure why you'd want to do too much because the cakes themselves are the selling point & wouldn't be boxed until after they're sold, I assume. Do you have stickers about the event itself such as "Relay for Life"? If not, print the logo out & it could be glued to the tops of the cake boxes. If the event has a color theme in the logo, coordinate the colors with raffia available at any craft store & after boxing the cake, tie it closed with the raffia, which is very cheap, by the way.

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

LEMON TORTE
    Cake layers:
    1 cup butter
    2 cups sugar
    3 cups flour
    2 TBL baking powder
    1 cup milk
    8 egg whites

Filling:
    2 cups powdered sugar
    8 egg yolks
    1 TBL butter
    Grated zest of 1 lemon
    Juice of 2 lemons

For the cake layers:

Cream butter & sugar until light & fluffy. Sift together flour & baking powder & add to butter mixture alternately w/milk. Beat egg whites until stiff; fold into mixture. Grease three 9" cake pans & divide the mixture evenly between them. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool layers.
    For the filling: combine all filling ingredients in the top of a double boiler & heat over boiling water, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat, cool & spread between layers. Frost top & sides w/White Icing, if desired.~~ Food for Thought

White Icing
    1 3/4 cups sugar
    2 egg whites
    1 TBL light corn syrup
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup chopped marshmallows

Beat first 5 ingredients at high speed for 1-2 minutes. Pour into top of a double boiler. Add marshmallows & cook over rapidly boiling water for 5-8 minutes. Pour into a bowl & beat until spreading consistency.~~

• jeaves101197
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the reply. The reason we were wanting to box them beforehand is because the bakesale will be held outside and we were afraid of bugs flying around. All of the other items will be wrapped in plastic wrap or put into cello bags. I just didn't want to put a cake on a paper or plastic plate and then plastic wrap it also. The icing would get all smushed...LOL. I definately like the idea of the raffia. That would be super cute!! The relay's main color is purple, so that's definately the color we'd go with. This is my first bakesale and we are really wanting it to be something special. It's also the day before mother's day so if you have any good mothers' day treat ideas, I'd love to hear. Thanks for your advice! It's much appreciated.

PS...the recipe you gave sounds scrumptious!!!

Jeaves

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

This is really good & you can bake it in loaf pans or mini loaf pans if you adjust the baking time.
    ROSELIN'S COLD OVEN POUND CAKE
    1 c margarine, softened
    1/2c butter, softened
    1 (8 oz) pk cream cheese
    3c sugar
    2 tsp vanilla
    6 large eggs
    3c cake flour
    dash of salt
    Combine margarine, butter, cream cheese, and sugar. Beat well; add salt and vanilla. One at a time, beating well after each, add eggs. Add flour and mix thoroughly. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10" tube pan or 2 greased and floured loaf pans. Place in cold oven, set oven at 275° and bake for 1 ½ hrs. or until tests done. Cool in pan and remove. RL`

• deedeebaker
    15 years ago

Chocolate covered pretzels are always a big seller. And if you really want to get creative top them with mini m&m's, reese's pieces, toffee pieces,or non-paerils. Place in a cello bag and wrap with purple curling ribbon & your logo sticker. Good Luck...

• pat_t
    15 years ago

You have got to see these. These are the perfect answer to your bake sale dilemma.

• deedeebaker
    15 years ago

I just checked out the site that Pat t recommended and it was great. I agree with her, it is the perfect answer to your bake sale dilemma. And it looks easy enough to do. And so eye appealing. We eat with our eyes first. LOL As a matter of fact, I think I'm gonna give them a try. Thanks for sharing :)

• Bev Cashen
    14 years ago

deedeebaker,

Are you referring to the dough/baked type pretzel or the regular snack type in the bags?

DO you have a photo of them?

I think your idea is wonderful!

• auntnete
    14 years ago

I just checked out that site also! I just love PW! I cook at least something of hers once a week.

• deedeebaker
    14 years ago

Hi lizzynola, I'm referring to the regular snack type pretzels in a bag. The only photo I have is on my website ddscandies.com if you are interested in looking. They are always a popular selling item especially the ones done in the non-paerils because you can coordinate the colors with the theme of the party, wedding, shower, etc.... and they are easy enough to do.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County