Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: looking for: starwberry and ground black pepper topping

Posted by Momto4Kids (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 13, 04 at 7:19

About 15 years ago, I was in a restaurant that served a strawberry mixture over ice cream for dessert. The mixture was prepared at the table in a hot skillet. Some kind of syrupy glaze was made with orange and lemon juice (not sure of other ingredients). Then chopped fresh straberries were added. Just after turning off the flame to the skillet, the guy added fresh ground pepper to the horror of the dinner guests. He then spooned it over the dishes of vanilla ice cream.

I don't even like strawberries, but I'm a pepper-aholic! It was delicious and had a wonderful kick. Anyone know where I can find a recipe for this mixture?

Thanks. Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: looking for: starwberry and ground black pepper topp

This one uses Cabernet Sauvignon, not fruit juice but you could probably play around with it. I'll keep looking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Strawberry Sauce

o
RE: RECIPE: starwberry and ground black pepper topping

This one isn't cooked but has the ingredients you mentioned. Try the technique with the first recipe with the ingredients from this one & you might be close.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Pepper Strawberries

o
RE: RECIPE: One more: starwberry and ground black pepper topping

Here's another.

Here is a link that might be useful: Strawberries over ice cream

o

Ginger, these are great! Thank you! I did a search, but obviously not very well! I'm going to try all 3 and see what comes closest. They all sound good to me. I'll need to have someone else add the pepper! LOL! I'll get carried away!

o

I'd never think to put pepper on strawberries but then I never thought to put onions on a salad with mandarin oranges or strawberries either. Still haven't decided if I like either one.
RL`

o

I can't imagine it either but Deb kind of made me want to give it a try. I'd like to hear what you come up with so I can try it.

o

Here's a recipe that is different too-just found it on the McCormick's site. And says it can be used on salad with baby greens, strawberries, grape tomatoes, and toasted walnuts..
Vanilla Vinaigrette
1/3cup olive oil
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon McCormick® Tarragon Leaves
1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Black Pepper
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Combine all ingredients. Mix well.

2. Chill before tossing with salad.
RL`

o

Vanilla in salad dressing? Won't knock it, though. Might be terrific.

o

I know-I looked at that recipe several times but with the strawberries, it just might be a nice change. Don't think I would use it with the grape tomatoes though. If I can find some good strawberries, I just might try it.
RL`

o

I agree on the strawberries and mandarin oranges in green salads. I would have never tried either of those recipes, just didn't sound appealing to me. Last year was invited to a party and they had the mandarin orange salad, I got the recipe before I left and made it the next week. Then a couple of weeks after went to another party and they had the strawberry one, and of course had to come home and make it, both are deliciious and I bet this is also. I have some strawberries and may have to try it.

o

My DH has always liked salad made with mandarin oranges. My first reaction was "yech!" But it's actually pretty good. I can't go for those fruity pre-made salad dressings, you know, raspberry vinegarette, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here