Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnyca_gw

RECIPE: Lemon Tarts for nana grandma!

sunnyca_gw
15 years ago

Lemon Tarts- crust-8 oz cream cheese 1 1/3 c. butter 2 2/3 c. flour Mix together well in mixer. Best to take ingredients right out of fridge & mix ,if they sit out dough is too soft. If you are making tiny tarts for a wedding or even 3 in tarts you can make little balls & just press them into the tart pans. If you are making larger tarts, I roll the dough between 2 sheets waxed paper the bottom sheet taped with masking tape to table or other smooth surface. I use a tiny bit of flour on bottom sheet swing the dough around in it flip over add top sheet & roll out to fit the piepan size you are using. I use oval, round,etc, some are lids others are from store bought pies but the trick is to only go up the side of pan about 1 inch. You will get 21-3 in tarts,15 tiny tarts & 1- 6 in pie pan from 1 batch- I go for easy so I use the oval or round 6-8 in pans & I get about 6 of these larger tarts. They freeze well with either pecan or lemon filling. Lemon filling-2 c. sugar 1/4 c flour, 1/8 tsp salt 2/3 cube of butter(softened) 1/3 c. lemon juice (from a lemon)rind grated off of 2 medium lemons about 3-4 in long 2- 2 1/2 in. thick be sure to only get the yellow part( wash lemon well- I use nylon scrubber) the white part under the rind is very bitter-don't use it.4 unbeaten large eggs, mix just until mixed together. pour into 4- 6 in tart pans that are lined with dough. About 3/4 in thick. I have to make 1/2 batch more of the lemon filling as I usually have 2 other pans that are dough filled & I love the lemon. Pecan filling I use is 3 eggs,beaten,1 c. light Karo,1/2 tsp salt,1/2 c lt br. sugar,3 Tbs butter, 1 1/2 tsp vanilla 1 Tbs. flour 1 c.chopped pecans. Melt butter. Combine eggs sugars & Karo, add rest. Bake these at 350 degrees 25-40 min depending on your oven. They should be med. golden browned on edges of tart& filling, toothpick should not be wet but have a little bit of lemon on it.It will have a little bit of browning on the lemon. pecan should be pretty "set" that means not soupy & toothpick not wet pecans should not be easy to move!( trying to help beginners here!LOL) They are delicious & everytime I've taken them for gettogether I come home empty handed, they eat them all!! Jan

Comments (6)

• lisbet
    15 years ago

To "sunnyca"......just want to thank you for the very nice recipe! However, had to re-organize it a bit so that it would be easier to follow.

Also, a Great Big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!!!

• sunnyca_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just tried to get it all out before the computer froze up!! I often tend to dump most ingredients together,do beat eggs 1st if says beaten eggs. People are always wanting to "buy" stuff I make or wanting me to go into business. Then it wouldn't be fun.I made lots of wedding & shower cakes for just the cost of ingredients as I had 2 kids & didn't work. I love giving it away & my neighbors tell me I "make" their Christmas. That's all I need to hear!! This computer won't let me make receipes in receipe form for some reason & can't make paragraphs, so everything is run together. I usually print off receipe from here & try & then if I like it I write it up & put in my receipe box & where I got it fromand yr. I find my tastes have changed some over the yrs & I have to cook more low sodium as parents BP spikes if they eat salty foods. Thanks for the birthday greeting! Some day to be born-tax day!!! Jan

• pauline13
    14 years ago

sunnyca,

I have two questions.

Regarding the crust, you say you get "1- 6 in pie pan from 1 batch- I go for easy so I use the oval or round 6-8 in pans & I get about 6 of these larger tarts." I'm not sure what you are saying. Are you getting one 6 inch crust (pie pan) or are you getting six 6 to 8 inch crusts?

My other question is what do you consider a "cube" of butter to be? Is it one stick or a fraction of a stick.

Thanks,

• sunnyca_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Pauline, My oven (after last quake) is smaller than the original 1 I had. I used to get 4 -9 or 10 in. pies in at once. This 1 I can only get 2- 9 in. (kitty-corner from each other) so I find odd sized old pyrex piepans work best. So I get about 6 of the 6 in crusts from 1 batch.I say about 6 as everyone rolls dough out differently. I don't like thick crust, I want to just have place for the wonderful lemon filling to be, & need crust to make nice slices.Because they are tarts you only go up the sides of pans about 1/3 of way. Butter=4cubes to 1 lb. or 1/2 cup butter per cube. Hope that helps!!

• pauline13
    14 years ago

Sunnyca,

Thanks for the clarification. The recipe sounds wonderful.

• gardenlover25
    14 years ago

Your recipe seems very delicious. Please upload some photos too. Thanks.