Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: why did it happen?

Posted by snowball (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 25, 09 at 1:38

I'm the one that posted awhile back about cinnamon cake recipe for daughter's wedding...tried one atleast that you all posted bust wasn't where daughter could taste them anyway so didn't try any of the others. In women's world I found a recipe for a cake called a king's cake
1 box butter cake mix perferably duncan hines
1/2 cup butter
3 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
2/3 C water
please note i'm recalling from memoery and hope that what I've typed is what we did we did follow the recipe/box as instructed
it had after baking holes poked in it with a hot rum and butter mixture poured over it
I didn't want the alchol so used exract flavoring and put it into the water so the amount of water was as called for. the cakes fell!!! one thing I know we did wrong was put to many pans in the oven at one time...was that the only thing or what else. I wondered about high altitude directions but haven't in the past. When I've made cakes before I used Betty Crocker...I understand that homemade tastes better but the box mix seemed to be more firm not so crumbly...
we need to redo the cakes and am wondering what your ideas are so that the same mistake won't be made
thanks a bunch
sheila

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: why did it happen?

Who knows but check the site below for different reasons cakes fall. You can't wing it as much with cakes since it's pretty much science to be successful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Why cakes fall

o

I would imagine having too many pans could easily have been the only reason. I think you would have needed to bake a little longer for them to be completely done

o

I made 16 in cakes, 12 in & 8 in cakes for a wedding All Duncan Hines & all looked perfect. I went to flip them over unto cake boards & 1 after another they turned into pile of crumbs.(1970's I think) I called DH & they sent 6 pages of stuff on how not to have a flop with their cakes. I told them to go back to their old dependable receipe. They refused even tho cake bakers were writing "Maid of Scandinavia's national cake decorating magazine complaining. Duncan Hines flatly refused to change it back. They lost a lot of valuable customers. I've never bought another 1. Later Coke tried changing their formula & quickly saw error of their way & changed it back. I've had oven full of cakes, most bakers do can't get cakes done & have them fresh if only doing couple at a time. 1 reason your cake might have fallen, well 2- 1. did you try to move them around in oven or even pull the rack out(don't have any racks in oven but 1 cakes are on so you can test with toothpick by reaching in with hand) when part way done- that will cause a flop with any cake from scratch or otherwise. 2. did your toothpick come out clean as a whistle, with the water & that many eggs if it isn't done it will sink!! That would be my assessment!!Jan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here