Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dances_in_garden

LOOKING for: Certain carrot cake recipe

dances_in_garden
20 years ago

When I was younger I used to make a killer carrot cake using a recipe found in my mother's Encyclopedia of Home Cooking. The book was tattered and she threw it away!

It was baked in a 9*13 pan, and called for a DRAINED small can of crushed pineapple, and did NOT call for coconut. The juice was not used in the cake at all. In fact, I considered it my reward after making the cake, to drink that pineapple juice - tee hee! I never iced the cake, we would just eat it as it was.

I remember there were two carrot cake recipes in the book, but they were slightly different. I always used the one that called for the drained small can of pineapple.

Anybody happen to have a copy of that cookbook and can share the recipe? Or have a recipe that might be a match?

{{gwi:336191}}

Comments (7)

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

Check out this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carrot cake

• Lisa_in_Germany
    20 years ago

Dances, I have the Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery. Is that the same one?

• colleenoz
    20 years ago

I've had this one for about 30 years, contributed to a community cookbook by one of the committee members. I have no idea from where she got it :-)

Carrot Cake

3 cups flour )
    2 teaspoons baking soda ) stir together
    2 teaspoons cinnamon )

1 1/2 cups oil or you can successfully substitute the same amount of apple sauce
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    2 cups sugar
    2 cups finely grated carrots
    3 eggs
    1 tin crushed pineapple, drained
    I add: generous handful chopped pecans
    generous handful sultanas/white raisins

Cream oil/applesauce and sugar, add vanilla and eggs. Mix in carrots and fruit/nuts. Stir in flour mixture and bake at 350F until done. The original recipe suggests using an angel food ring pan, I've used round pans, loaf pans, you name it. I see no reason why you couldn't use a 9" x 13" pan.

• dances_in_garden
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Ginger, that is close, but I don't think it's it.

Lisa, I am not sure if that is the same or not.

ColleenOZ...so far that looks like it might be it! I'll have to try it and let you know. The timing sounds about right, as well. Thanks!

{{gwi:336191}}

• colleenoz
    20 years ago

I should add that the community cookbook was "The American Women's Club Cookbook", a fundraising project of a club for American and Canadian women living in Perth, Western Australia, so it's likely the recipe originated in the US or Canada.

• roselin32
    20 years ago

This is not the carrot cake referenced above but it is an interesting recipe and a good cake.
    Pineapple Carrot Cake
    2 1/2c flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 (8oz) can crushed pineapple in syrup
    1 1/2c oil
    3 eggs
    2 c sugar
    2c finely shredded carrots (4 med.)
    Confectioner's sugar
    Stir together` flour, salt, soda, and cinnamon;set aside.
    Puree pineapple with syrup in blender. Pour into large mixing bowl, add oil, eggs, and sugar and beat well. Beat in carrots and then flour mixture until well blended. Pour into a greased 9x13" pan and bake in a preheated 350° oven for 45 minutes or til tests done. Cool in pan. Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar and cut into squares to serve.
    RL

• sharon_fl
    20 years ago

The recipe I used for many years (of my specialty wedding cakes..the carrot was most popular). My recipe was like Colleen's except no raisins added. Also-mine used JUNIOR baby food carrots instead of grated ones.

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax