Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

RECIPE: problem with peanut butter cookies

jane__ny
19 years ago

I have tried various receipes for these using peanut butter (not chips) and they always come out rock hard. I've tried, receipes from many places. Am I doing something wrong or does someone have a solution. My daughters favorite and I want them for her birthday. Thanks, Jane

Comments (12)

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

Check out Dana's recipe on the previous thread here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peanut Butter Cookies

• loralee
    18 years ago

can you post what your recipe is? perhaps something is missing or the amount of one of the ingredients are wrong. mine come out good everytime and I have made them for more years than I care to count.

Loralee

• glenda_al
    18 years ago

I make these lots!!
    Copied and pasted the recipe, so you can read the comments.
    ------------------
    Flourless, 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup sugar (or 3/4 cup, if you prefer)
    1 large egg
    1 cup peanut butter (crunchy or smooth)
    Combine sugar and egg in mixing bowl, stirring until smooth. Add peanut butter and mix thoroughly. Roll into walnut-sized balls.

Place the balls on ungreased cookie sheet(s) at least 2" apart. Flatten with the tines of a fork, then turn the 90 degrees and use fork again t create cross hatches.

Bake 10 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit (or until done). Let cool in pan for 1 minute before removing to cooling rack. Leaving them on the sheet for too long will make them hard.

Yes, the cookies are soft after they come from the oven. I don't know how long they stay soft out in the open though, as I had a couple of cousins come over while they were baking and we all pretty much destroyed the cookies.

Still, if you plan on keeping them (or any other type of cookies for that matter) for a while, then put a slice of bread on the bottom of an air tight container and place the cookies on top. If you have any cookies left when the bread gets hard, replace the piece of bread.

• alicesRestaurant
    18 years ago

I've made cookies from the recipe posted by glenda_al and they are very good and very easy just like she says. I recommend.
    --Alice

• NYBokey
    18 years ago

These are by far the best peanut butter cookies I have ever made, and I make a lot of cookies. I always get rave reviews when I serve them. They are really over the top.

2.5 cups all purpose flour
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 lb. (2 sticks) salted butter (I use Cabot only)
    1 cup brown sugar, packed
    1 cup granulated sugar (I use Florida Crystals Natural Sugar)
    1 cup crunchy peanut butter (Jif), at room temp
    2 large eggs
    2 tsps. vanilla extract (suprisingly, CVS imitation vanilla is excellent)
    1 cup roasted salted peanuts

Preheat oven to 350. Grind peanuts in food processor until they resemble bread crumbs, about 14 pulses; set aside. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl; set aside.

Beat butter until creamy. Add sugars; beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down bowl as necessary. Beat in peanut butter until fully incorporated and then eggs, one at a time, then vanilla. Gently stir dry ingredients into peanut butter mixture. Add ground peanuts; stir gently until just incorporated.

Scoop into balls (I use cookie scoop) with about 1.5 Tbsps. dough per scoop and drop onto parchment about 2 inches apart. Press criss-cross design into the top of each ball using a fork dipped in cold water.

Bake 10-12 mins until cookies are puffed and slightly brown along edges but not on top. Cookies will not look fully baked! Cool on sheet until set, about 5 minutes; transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

The ground peanuts add a lot of flavor and surprisingly, do not add grittiness. I don't like peanuts in cookies as a rule, and I don't like crunchy peanut butter, but I love these cookies. When my mom makes them, she likes to make a glaze of powdered sugar with a little milk and a small amount of creamy peanut butter and drizzle it over the finished cooled cookies.

If you make them, let me know how you like them.

• wizardnm
    18 years ago

Bokay, that's the exact same recipe that I use, from "The Best Recipe" by Cook's Illustrated. I agree that these are simply the best.

I have often made up extra dough and shaped it into 2 1/2 " diameter logs. Store in the refridgerator up to 5 days or freeze. Shape and flatten when ready to bake.

Usually I use Jiff Creamy peanut butter and omit the roasted peanuts. The idea of a drizzel of peanut butter frosting sounds excellant, will try the next time I make them.

Nancy

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow, I can't believe my old post popped up again. It's funny because my SIL loves peanut butter cookies and I'm always trying to treat him to some. The last time was when I posted, I made Ina Garten's 'Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies.' The receipe calls for 1 cup smooth peanut butter and 1lb of good semisweet chocolate chunks. They turned out like rocks. The amounts are similar to Bokay's so I don't know where I went wrong. Then I've tried the receipe on the bag of peanut butter chips and the same problem. I'd love to try Bokays but I'm heading to my daughters tomorrow morning and don't have peanuts. Maybe I'll try Glenda's tonight.
    Thanks again,
    Jane

• Virginia7074
    18 years ago

Shortly after I got out of college, I used to make a recipe all the time that was basically a peanut butter cookie with chocolate chips and redskin cocktail peanuts. I don't remember if it was actually in the Betty Crocker cookbook, or if it was a hybrid of 2 or more recipes. If you're interested, I'll try to find it or recreate it. A lot of people thought they were very good.

• jenn
    18 years ago

Virginia -- I'm interested! :-)

• Virginia7074
    18 years ago

Sorry this took so long. I don't use exactly these amounts of peanuts and chocolate chips - just kind of dump in whatever amount looks right to me at the time.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Peanut Cookies

1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup butter
    3/4 cup peanut butter
    2 eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1-1/2 cups salted peanuts
    1-1/2 cups chocolate chips
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Heat oven to 375. Mix brown sugar, butter, peanut butter, eggs and vanilla. Stir in remaining ingredients. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto cookie sheet lined with parchment. Flatten slightly with greased bottom of glass dipped into sugar. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown; cool. Make about 6 dozen cookies.

• jenn
    18 years ago

Virginia, I just now saw your response. Thanks so much for posting the recipe. I hope you will see this and not think I asked for it and then ignored your reply. They sound terrific.

Thanks again,
    Jen

• Virginia7074
    18 years ago

LOL, Jen. I just happened to be trolling around and stumbled across this. Was thinking of making peanut butter choc chip cookies tonight, too!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor