LOOKING for: easter desserts

deedeebaker
17 years ago

What do you serve for dessert on Easter... would love you to share!!! thanks

Comments (3)

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm always working on Easter but this is a really good recipe & Easter always means coconut to me:
    COCONUT CARAMEL FLAN (serves 6-8
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1/2 cup water
    2 1/4 cups whipping cream
    3/4 cup cream of coconut
    3 eggs + 3 egg yolks
    3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
    1 tsp almond extract
    1/4 cup sliced almonds, toaste
    1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted

Heat sugar & water in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat & boil until sugar caramelizes (about 10 minutes but make sure it doesn't burn.) Pour immediately into souffle dish. Swirl in dish to cover bottom & part of sides.

Bring cream & cream of coconut to a boil in a heavy saucepan; remove from heat & set aside. Beat eggs & yolks until thick. Gradually add to hot cream mixture. Stir in 3/4 cup coconut & almond extract. Pour into prepared souffle dish.

Place dish in a large roasting pan. Add enough water to teh roasting pan to reach halfway up sides of souffle dish. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool to room temperature; cover & chill. To serve, invert flan onto platter & sprinkle w/toasted almonds & 1/4 cup toasted flaked coconut. (You can toast the coconut in a nonstick skillet over medium low heat, watching carefully & stirring.)~~Food for Thought

• Terri_PacNW
    17 years ago

I'm with Ginger on the Coconut.
    I have a big batch of coconut filling in the fridge to make "Mound" eggs tomorrow.

Here's a recipe from the past.

Posted by Marlen (My Page) on Sun, Apr 13, 03 at 21:27
    Really quite good. If you want to be decadent (and I do!), drizzle some chocolate sauce over it before serving. Ice cream will do fine as well.
    Cuban Coconut Pound Cake
    2 sticks unsalted butter
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp. almond extract
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 cups sugar
    5 eggs
    3 cups flour, sifted
    1 cup milk
    7 oz. shredded coconut
    1 cup almonds, thinly sliced
    Preheat oven to 325 degrees
    Prepare a 10" non-stick tube pan. Line bottom with buttered parchment or wax paper (buttered side up), cut to fit.
    In the large bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter until it is soft and smooth. Add vanilla and almond extracts, salt and sugar and beat to mix. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until incorporated after each addition.
    On low speed alternately add flour in three additions, scraping bowl with a rubber spatula and beating only until incorporated. Remove from mixer and fold in nuts and coconut.
    Turn into prepared pan and smooth the top
    Bake for 1-1/2 hours until top is golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean. Let stand on a rack for 15 min. Then cover with a rack, turn the rack and cake pan over, remove the pan cover with another rack and invert again, leaving the cake right side up. Let stand until cool.
    When cake is cool, carefully peel off paper lining.
    Wrap cool cake in plastic wrap. If possible, refrigerate overnight before serving. Or place in freezer for about 45 min. It must be cold when sliced or it will crumble.

Last year I made this for my Easter dinner.

Here is the lemon cake roll recipe: Posted by Danain (Marilyn)
    Golden Lemon Cake Roll
    CAKE:
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoons salt
    9 egg yolks
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup water
    2 teaspoons fresh grated lemon zest
    Powdered sugar
    FILLING: 1/2 cup sugar
    pinch of salt
    3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
    3 egg yolks
    1 teaspoons fresh grated lemon zest
    1/2 cup whipping cream
    Heat oven to 375. Grease bottom only of 15X10-inch jelly-roll pan. Line with parchment paper and grease again. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup, level off. In medium bowl, combine flour, first 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks at high speed until a light lemon color. Add second 1/2 cup sugar and continue beating until thickened. Add cold water and 2 teaspoons lemon zest, mix well. Gently fold flour mixture into egg mixture, blend well. Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake 15 to 18 minutes until light golden. Remove from oven and immediately turn out of pan onto a towel sprinkled with powdered sugar. Quickly remove paper. Starting at short side, roll up in towel; cool completely. In a small heavy saucepan, combine sugar, salt, lemon juice and egg yolks. Cook over low heat until thickened; stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in lemon peel; cool. Whip cream to soft peaks and fold into cooled filling. Unroll cake, spread with filling and roll again without towel. Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours. (Inspired from recipe in "Pillsbury Bake-Off Classics III.) *One lemon yields 1 tablespoon (3 teaspoons) lemon zest and 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) juice. Marilyn

• deedeebaker
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Both of these sounds delicious and I LOVE coconut. Thank you for sharing these with me and I hope you have a nice Easter.