Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: blackberry crisp or cobbler

Posted by ponderinstuff (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 5, 04 at 21:04

I would like to make this for my Dad for his birthday this Sunday. He loves it and I don't know what to even look for in a recipe to make it really good. My Mom use to make this all the time when I was a child, and I remember how delicious it was. Please help me out with a special recipe, I'd sure appreciate it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: blackberry crisp or cobbler

Ponderinstuff, This is the recipe that Annie posted for her Blueberry Crisp. I'm sure you could substitute blackberries for the blueberries. I have made this and I know that a number of other members of the Cooking Forum have as well and it is really, really good.

Ann

Home Cookin 4.9

Blueberry Crisp
================
annie1992 (My Page) on Sun, May 25, 03 at 1:50

Cindy Mac, this is the only blueberry crisp recipe I've ever used, the one my grandmother used. It's not very sweet, which I like because I like the flavor of the berries better than the flavor of the sugar, LOL. It's really good warm with vanilla ice cream, but it's also good cold for breakfast (it's a FRUIT, Mom).
Blueberry Crisp

3 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen, unsweetened
2 tbls lemon juice
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup quick oats
1/3 cup butter, softened
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt

Heat oven to 375. Arrange berries in ungreased square baking dish (8 inch)
and sprinkle with lemon juice. Combine remaining ingredients until crumbly.
(I use a pastry blender, grandma used two knives). Crumble topping over
berries and bake until topping is lightly browned and berries are hot, about
30 minutes. Makes 4-6 servings.

I double this and it still comes out good. Plus blueberries are low in
calories, have lots of fiber and no fat, contain antioxidants C, E and beta
carotene and have been found to be as helpful in urinary tract health as
cranberries. That's why I need ice cream with them, they are just too darned
healthy. LOL

o

The way my mother made blackberry cobblers was a layer of her excellent pie crust on the bottom of a deep dish, added the sugared wild blackberries, more pieces of pie crust, more berries & topped with crust with sugar sprinkled on top & baked. I don't have a specific recipe for it but it was wonderful. Here's a recipe my aunt used to make:
BLACKBERRY ROLL
2 cups blackberries, drained
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp lemon juice
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup shortening
2 TBL sugar
Water enough to mix well (stiff dough)

Blend blackberries, sugar & lemon juice. Combine flour, salt, shortening, sugar & water to make dough. Roll dough out smoothly. Spread with blackberries. Roll up the dough into a nice roll. Bake in a moderate 325 (preheated) oven 25-30 minutes. Serve with ice cream.~~

o

This is the one I make but Ginger, yours sound good too. I'm not crazy about oats in my crisps.
4c blackberries mixed with
1/2c sugar
1/4c water
Topping:`
Combine with fork until crumbly
3/4c flour
1c sugar
1/2c butter
dash of salt
Butter a deep baking dish and put berries and water into pan.
Combine topping crumb mixture and sprinkle over berries.
Bake at 350 til crust is brown and serve with cream.
May also use cornflake crumbs in place of flour in topping.
RL`

o

I just want to thank you so much. I am going to give them all a try. They sound delicious.

o

Hope you like them!

o

Have made this many times, and not a crumb left.

I have also made it with strawberries, so I feel certain you can sub with blackberries

1/4 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, rinsed
Topping
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cream 1/4 cup butter with 3/4 cup sugar; add egg and beat well. Into a medium bowl sift together 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt. Add sifted dry ingredients to butter mixture alternately with 1/2 cup milk, beating until smooth. Fold in blueberries. Pour into a greased 9-inch square baking pan. For topping, combine blend together ingredients.
Sprinkle topping crumbs over batter. Bake at 375 for 35 minutes.

o

I love Annie's grandmother's blueberry crisp. I have my own recipe, but Annie's is my new favorite. Blackberries work well as a substitute.

o

I found this blueberry crisp recipe on another cooking site. One of the members posted it suggesting to use 1 tsp. of lavender with the recipe. It is just incredible and easy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Blueberry Crisp

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here