Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ponderinstuff_gw

LOOKING for: blackberry crisp or cobbler

ponderinstuff
20 years ago

I would like to make this for my Dad for his birthday this Sunday. He loves it and I don't know what to even look for in a recipe to make it really good. My Mom use to make this all the time when I was a child, and I remember how delicious it was. Please help me out with a special recipe, I'd sure appreciate it.

Comments (8)

• ann_t
    20 years ago

Ponderinstuff, This is the recipe that Annie posted for her Blueberry Crisp. I'm sure you could substitute blackberries for the blueberries. I have made this and I know that a number of other members of the Cooking Forum have as well and it is really, really good.

Ann

Home Cookin 4.9

Blueberry Crisp
    ================
    annie1992 (My Page) on Sun, May 25, 03 at 1:50

Cindy Mac, this is the only blueberry crisp recipe I've ever used, the one my grandmother used. It's not very sweet, which I like because I like the flavor of the berries better than the flavor of the sugar, LOL. It's really good warm with vanilla ice cream, but it's also good cold for breakfast (it's a FRUIT, Mom).
    Blueberry Crisp

3 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen, unsweetened
    2 tbls lemon juice
    2/3 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup flour
    1/2 cup quick oats
    1/3 cup butter, softened
    3/4 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp salt

Heat oven to 375. Arrange berries in ungreased square baking dish (8 inch)
    and sprinkle with lemon juice. Combine remaining ingredients until crumbly.
    (I use a pastry blender, grandma used two knives). Crumble topping over
    berries and bake until topping is lightly browned and berries are hot, about
    30 minutes. Makes 4-6 servings.

I double this and it still comes out good. Plus blueberries are low in
    calories, have lots of fiber and no fat, contain antioxidants C, E and beta
    carotene and have been found to be as helpful in urinary tract health as
    cranberries. That's why I need ice cream with them, they are just too darned
    healthy. LOL

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

The way my mother made blackberry cobblers was a layer of her excellent pie crust on the bottom of a deep dish, added the sugared wild blackberries, more pieces of pie crust, more berries & topped with crust with sugar sprinkled on top & baked. I don't have a specific recipe for it but it was wonderful. Here's a recipe my aunt used to make:
    BLACKBERRY ROLL
    2 cups blackberries, drained
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 tsp lemon juice
    2 cups flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 cup shortening
    2 TBL sugar
    Water enough to mix well (stiff dough)

Blend blackberries, sugar & lemon juice. Combine flour, salt, shortening, sugar & water to make dough. Roll dough out smoothly. Spread with blackberries. Roll up the dough into a nice roll. Bake in a moderate 325° (preheated) oven 25-30 minutes. Serve with ice cream.~~

• roselin32
    20 years ago

This is the one I make but Ginger, yours sound good too. I'm not crazy about oats in my crisps.
    4c blackberries mixed with
    1/2c sugar
    1/4c water
    Topping:`
    Combine with fork until crumbly
    3/4c flour
    1c sugar
    1/2c butter
    dash of salt
    Butter a deep baking dish and put berries and water into pan.
    Combine topping crumb mixture and sprinkle over berries.
    Bake at 350° til crust is brown and serve with cream.
    May also use cornflake crumbs in place of flour in topping.
    RL`

• ponderinstuff
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I just want to thank you so much. I am going to give them all a try. They sound delicious.

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

Hope you like them!

• glenda_al
    20 years ago

Have made this many times, and not a crumb left.

I have also made it with strawberries, so I feel certain you can sub with blackberries

1/4 cup butter, room temperature
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 egg
    2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup milk
    2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, rinsed
    Topping
    1/4 cup butter, room temperature
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    Cream 1/4 cup butter with 3/4 cup sugar; add egg and beat well. Into a medium bowl sift together 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt. Add sifted dry ingredients to butter mixture alternately with 1/2 cup milk, beating until smooth. Fold in blueberries. Pour into a greased 9-inch square baking pan. For topping, combine blend together ingredients.
    Sprinkle topping crumbs over batter. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes.

• Cindy_Mac
    20 years ago

I love Annie's grandmother's {{gwi:1496752}}. I have my own recipe, but Annie's is my new favorite. Blackberries work well as a substitute.

• april_bloom
    17 years ago

I found this blueberry crisp recipe on another cooking site. One of the members posted it suggesting to use 1 tsp. of lavender with the recipe. It is just incredible and easy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Blueberry Crisp

Sponsored
Third-Generation Family-Owned Masonry Supplier in Virginia