Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for: please help! whipping cream won't whip!!

Posted by chery2 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 1, 08 at 18:26

I've tried everything I know. The unopened, unexpired container [small]has been in the cold fridge for weeks. I used a cold, metal bowl and cold beaters. I beat it fast, then slow. Nothing. I added a little Splenda. Nothing. I added cream of tartar. Nada. I finally added about 2 teaspoons of granulated sugar. Still no good. I've put the bowl of unwhipped cream in the feezer while I try to get an answer. Anyone?
ALSO. . .will you share your favorite recipe using a box-mix angel-food cake? THANKS!
chery2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for: please help! whipping cream won't whip!!

Well I thought this was an easy answer; but you seem to be doing all the right things, so I'm not sure why your cream won't whip. Are you certain you're using real whipping cream and not some low-fat/non-fat something? The sugar and sugar substitutes don't add anything to the whipping process. Even cold bowls aren't a requirement. If you're using metal bowls, make sure they're stainless or even better, copper. Sorry, not much help.

o

I had that happen once, and there seemed to be no explanation. I took the bowl and cream carton back to the store (right away, I needed whipped cream) and got a new carton of heavy cream, and this one whipped. Just one of those things, I guess.

o

You say the unopened container has been in the frig for weeks...is ti by any chance one of those "ultra pasteurized" products? If so that doesn't whip....don't know why....but it doesn't.
Linda c

o

There are different kinds of cream in your grocer's dairy case. *Read the outside of the carton thoroughly* The higher the percentage of fat...the easier and quicker it will whip. (Don't buy ultra-pasturized) Use Confectioners' Sugar because it contains cornstarch and will keep the cream from weeping when refrigerated after whipping.

I suspect that perhaps Splenda is the culprit that keeps the cream from whipping up properly. Guess you were careful enough to have the bowl and beaters freezer cold??

Other than the above, don't know what else to suggest!

o

Check this out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Creams

o

Also if there was the tiniest bit of grease in your metal bowl or on your beaters..it won't whip. Make sure you buy plain old HEAVY cream. I like to start it out at medium speed for a minute then hit it on High until stiff. I also add some confectionary sugar once on high, to keep the whipped cream stiff..I also sweeten w/pure vanilla, not sugar.

o

Sharon, you are thinking egg whites....they won't whip if there is any fat present....while heavy cream is ALL fat! LOL!
Linda C

o

Hey Linda! HA HA!! okay-no more answering questions while I'm on this strong antibiotic!! Makes me GOOFY! Thanks for the more than obvious reply about egg whites & merangue. Having baked cakes for 30 some years,professionally-Of couse I knew it was egg whites. MY BAD!

o

I caught this thread late but here are my thoughts for what it's worth.

First, I agree to sticking with heavy cream only, if possible, preferably fresh, not ultra-unpasteurized or "whipping" cream. In my area the stuff called "whipping cream" has less butterfat than heavy cream and has a bunch of chemical additives. Although ultra-unpasteurized may work, it sometimes doesn't perform as well and it has a punky stale flavor.

Second, good cream whips better as it gets older. I find that cream can be very usable when older, unless it's gone spoiled altogether. One caveat - if it comes in a cardboard container, it tends to spoil fast, so I transfer to a glass jar right away. Plastic containers seem ok too. Weeks old cream may clot at the top, but you can reconstitute it by shaking. Someimes the top layer goes a little sour, but you can pour some good cream from underneath.

Third, I never use powdered sugar - it adds a flinty taste. The idea that the cornstarch in powdered sugar keeps the whipped cream from going watery suggests that you're going to store it. Personally I'd rather whip cream than use days old stuff, plus it's easy once you know how. I use superfine sugar because it dissolves very fast while granulated sugar doesn't.

I agree that you don't absolutely need a chilled bowl but whipping goes faster it you use one.

Here's my method - no big news to anyone. Use a chilled bowl and whisk, good cream, as above, and superfine sugar. Pour some cream in the bowl, add some sugar on top of cream and beat until softly whipped. Taste for sweetness, add more sugar as needed plus some Vanilla extract, taste again. When it's good, whip more until you have the texture you want. Done. Five minutes, max.

You mentioned "beaters" not "beater" or "whisk". This suggests you may be using a Hamilton Beach type mixer with the old twin beaters. These never work as well as a whisk or Kitchen Aid type mixer with whisk attachment. I think they were designed more for mixing batter, but not for incorporating air as in cream or egg whites.

Finally, your profile says you live in Virginia, which may be good news for you. One of the best creams I've ever had comes from Lewes Delaware, and is available through a good part of Virginia, especially Northern Virginia. Check Balduccis or Whole Foods if you're near one. These stores and some others also used to have excellent cream from Pennsylvania - Oxford Cream.

o

I am currently having a similar awful issue. I beat the cream part way; soft peaks. Then I continued and it went back to liquid. I put everything back in the fridge and I hope a miracle will occur.

o

I had the same problem and found this page while I was trying to figure out what to do. However I kept my electric beater on and in the whipping cream and about 10 minutes later it started to whip up. I have never had whip cream take so long but to anyone having this problem don't give up for at least 15 minutes and then try something else! worked for me.

o

I try never to use ultra-pasturized cream for whipping because it is hard to get stiff. However, lately we have been buying it at Costco because it is so much cheaper than regular heavy cream. To get it to stiffen properly, I use unflavored gelatin -- you won't need much. Per each cup of heavy cream, dissolve about 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon(experiment) unflavored gelatin in about 1/2 Tablespoon of cold water. Beat it into the cream for about a minute. Then set your bowl in the fridge for about 5 minutes. Remove and finish whipping. You should get nice, stiff peaks this way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here