Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chery2

looking for: please help! whipping cream won't whip!!

chery2
16 years ago

I've tried everything I know. The unopened, unexpired container [small]has been in the cold fridge for weeks. I used a cold, metal bowl and cold beaters. I beat it fast, then slow. Nothing. I added a little Splenda. Nothing. I added cream of tartar. Nada. I finally added about 2 teaspoons of granulated sugar. Still no good. I've put the bowl of unwhipped cream in the feezer while I try to get an answer. Anyone?

ALSO. . .will you share your favorite recipe using a box-mix angel-food cake? THANKS!

chery2

Comments (23)

• annie1971
    16 years ago

Well I thought this was an easy answer; but you seem to be doing all the right things, so I'm not sure why your cream won't whip. Are you certain you're using real whipping cream and not some low-fat/non-fat something? The sugar and sugar substitutes don't add anything to the whipping process. Even cold bowls aren't a requirement. If you're using metal bowls, make sure they're stainless or even better, copper. Sorry, not much help.

• momj47
    16 years ago

I had that happen once, and there seemed to be no explanation. I took the bowl and cream carton back to the store (right away, I needed whipped cream) and got a new carton of heavy cream, and this one whipped. Just one of those things, I guess.

• lindac
    16 years ago

You say the unopened container has been in the frig for weeks...is ti by any chance one of those "ultra pasteurized" products? If so that doesn't whip....don't know why....but it doesn't.
    Linda c

• lisbet
    16 years ago

There are different kinds of cream in your grocer's dairy case. *Read the outside of the carton thoroughly* The higher the percentage of fat...the easier and quicker it will whip. (Don't buy ultra-pasturized) Use Confectioners' Sugar because it contains cornstarch and will keep the cream from weeping when refrigerated after whipping.

I suspect that perhaps Splenda is the culprit that keeps the cream from whipping up properly. Guess you were careful enough to have the bowl and beaters freezer cold??

Other than the above, don't know what else to suggest!

• khandi
    16 years ago

Check this out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Creams

• sharon_fl
    16 years ago

Also if there was the tiniest bit of grease in your metal bowl or on your beaters..it won't whip. Make sure you buy plain old HEAVY cream. I like to start it out at medium speed for a minute then hit it on High until stiff. I also add some confectionary sugar once on high, to keep the whipped cream stiff..I also sweeten w/pure vanilla, not sugar.

• lindac
    16 years ago

Sharon, you are thinking egg whites....they won't whip if there is any fat present....while heavy cream is ALL fat! LOL!
    Linda C

• sharon_fl
    16 years ago

Hey Linda! HA HA!! okay-no more answering questions while I'm on this strong antibiotic!! Makes me GOOFY! Thanks for the more than obvious reply about egg whites & merangue. Having baked cakes for 30 some years,professionally-Of couse I knew it was egg whites. MY BAD!

• deanna24
    14 years ago

I am currently having a similar awful issue. I beat the cream part way; soft peaks. Then I continued and it went back to liquid. I put everything back in the fridge and I hope a miracle will occur.

• mkirbach_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I had the same problem and found this page while I was trying to figure out what to do. However I kept my electric beater on and in the whipping cream and about 10 minutes later it started to whip up. I have never had whip cream take so long but to anyone having this problem don't give up for at least 15 minutes and then try something else! worked for me.

• kitfranz-retirement_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I try never to use ultra-pasturized cream for whipping because it is hard to get stiff. However, lately we have been buying it at Costco because it is so much cheaper than regular heavy cream. To get it to stiffen properly, I use unflavored gelatin -- you won't need much. Per each cup of heavy cream, dissolve about 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon(experiment) unflavored gelatin in about 1/2 Tablespoon of cold water. Beat it into the cream for about a minute. Then set your bowl in the fridge for about 5 minutes. Remove and finish whipping. You should get nice, stiff peaks this way.

• angelasun2624
    8 years ago

That happened to me just today and I just put a tablespoon of confectioners sugar and it whipped!!!

• colleenoz
    8 years ago

The UHT cream we have in Australia is brilliant for whipping, in fact it is almost impossible to over whip it. I use it all the time, especially for cakes as it holds its shape well for days and doesn't go all weepy over time as regular cream does. Plus I think it has a better mouth feel than regular cream. I wonder why they are different?

• Toni Coletti
    7 years ago

Seeing as the post is almost a decade old, I'm not sure how much my experience will help the original poster... But I'm going to share my experience in case any future bakers need help with this.
    I generally use a whisk when making whipping cream, but I just bought a new beater earlier this week so I thought I'd give it a try. After 5-7 minutes of using the beater, I realized the cream was not thickening.
    I'm too stubborn to give up, or just put the bowl in the freezer like someone else had commented.. I was still hoping I could salvage it; so I used a whisk instead. And what do you know? It worked!
    So that would be my advice... when it doubt, just bust out the good ol fashioned whisk :)

• frankiethedog
    6 years ago

Every time I buy the store brand (of which ever grocery chain I'm shopping in) heavy whipping cream, it doesn't whip. Only national brands work. At least that's my experience.

• Jim Mat
    6 years ago

Frankie, any national brands to recommend?

• frankiethedog
    6 years ago
    Land O Lakes and Borden have always worked for me. What hasn't worked for me is Krioger, Albertsons and as of yesterday, Meijer. I recently moved to a bit of a food desert, northern lower Michigan, so my only choice was Meijer brand. It only partially whipped. By this morning, its almost completely liquefied
  • Jim Mat
    6 years ago

Thanks, No Borden in my area, we have LoL Butter, I will look for their cream

• Elise Morgan
    6 years ago

Is there such a thing as over-whipping the cream? :confused:

• Jim Mat
    6 years ago

Elise, yes over whipped cream may turn into butter.

• Jessica Siao
    3 years ago

I had this happen to me I bought a $2.50 Sunnyside farms ultra pasteurized heavy whipping cream and tried hand whipping it with a whisk and even my strong husband tried to help me whip it. We were at it for an hour and it just barely thickened. I did everything right:ice bath,gradual sugar and fast whipping. I gave up, and threw it in the fridge hoping I could salvage it. Next day, the top strangely grew thicker but bottom half was all liquid. I tried this time to use my electric hand mixer and mixed 1 tbsp of cornstarch to 1tbsp of hot water to dissolve and poured it in my whipping cream and started whipping on low then high speed and wow it worked and reached stiff peaks in about 1-3min !

• colleenoz
    3 years ago

You have to refrigerate the UHT cream for at least 24 hours before you can whip it. I’ve used it for years.

Sponsored
Cumberland Custom Homes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Green Residential Builder & Renovator