eileen_launonen

LOOKING for: how about a coconut cake....not pie

eileen_launonen
20 years ago

Share please....thank you

Comments (9)

• glenda_al
    20 years ago

My mom made this, I make this as well. It's is soooo moist, no one will ever know it is made with a cake mix.

Three day coconut cake

1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
    1 cup sour cream
    2 cups white sugar
    1 (14 ounce) package flaked coconut
    1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed

1 Prepare cake mix as per package directions for a two layer cake. Once cake is cool split layers with a thread to create four layers. ******If you choose not to split the layers, divide the mixture in to three cake pans. The cooking time will be shorter.
    2 Mix together sour cream, sugar and all but a portion of the coconut (some should be reserved for top).****You need to let, if you can, sit in refrig overnite, or at LEAST several hours, and stir a couple times.
    Set aside one cup of this mixture. Spread remainder between layers of cake.
    3 Combine whipped topping and the reserved sour cream mixture. Use this to ice the cake. Toast remaining coconut and sprinkle on iced cake. Store in the refrigerator for three days before cutting. The longer it is refrigerated, the better it is!

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

This one's from Nathalie Dupree & it's a keeper:
    COCONUT CAKE
    1 1/4 cups flour
    1 1/4 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
    1 TBL baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    3/4 cup soft butter
    2 large eggs
    1 tsp vanilla

Icing:
    3 egg whites, stiffly beaten
    2 cups sugar
    Meat of 1 fresh coconut, ground or grated
    1 cup coconut milk

For the cake, preheat the oven to 350°. Grease two 8" cake pans & dust w/flour. Place circles of waxed paper in the bottoms of the pans & grease & flour them.
    Sift the flour, baking powder & salt together. In a separate bowl, cream the sugar & butter, then add the eggs & vanilla & beat well. Add the dry ingredients & milk alternately, starting & ending w/the dry ingredients & beat until smooth. Pour the batter into the pans & bake 20-25 minutes. Cool on a rack, remove from the pans & peel off the waxed paper.
    To make the icing: Place the beaten egg whites in a saucepan & add sugar, coconut & coconut milk. Over medium heat, bring the mixture to a full boil & boil 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat & spread on the cake while both the cake & icing are still warm.~~

• eileen_launonen
    Original Author
    20 years ago

thanks!!!

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

You're welcome!

• danain
    20 years ago

Eileen, when I do a {{gwi:1496728}} I just add 1 cup grated (in the food processor) coconut to my white cake recipe or just use a white cake mix and add the grated coconut...it's just as good.

Then I make this frosting for it and put more coconut all over the outside. So simple but always wonderful!

{{gwi:1496729}}

1 cup milk
    3 tablespoons flour
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 cup Crisco shortening (white)
    1 cup fine grain granulated sugar

Combine milk and flour; cook over medium heat until boils and thickens. Cool completely and stir in vanilla. With an electric mixer; beat shortening and sugar until smooth and creamy. Beat in cooled milk mixture until light and fluffy. Good on any kind of cake or fill cupcakes.

Marilyn

• ruthanna_gw
    19 years ago

Eileen, I just put one on the Recipe Exchange called Easter Cocount Cake. It's really easy.

• eileen_launonen
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks

• eileen_launonen
    Original Author
    19 years ago

MILK?????

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

1 cup milk should be listed right after the 1 tsp vanilla in the cake ingredients. Hope this didn't mess you up! Press on, regardless!

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022