Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mara1331

LOOKING for: A Great Dessert served in crystal martini glass

mara1331
19 years ago

I'm having a dinner party for 10 and would like to use these beautiful, heavy crystal martini glasses. They're big and would make a great dessert dish. Anyone have something spectacular??

Thanks,

Maggie

Comments (7)

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I haven't made this but it comes from a cookbook I trust completely:
    CHAMPAGNE PEACH SHERBET (serves 5)
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup water
    5 ripe peaches, peeled, pitted & cut in 1" pieces
    1 TBL fresh lemonjuice
    Well-chilled champagne, divided
    1 egg white

Combine sugar & water in a 2 cup glass measuring cup. Stirring once, cook on high in microwave for 1 1/2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.
    In a processor fitted with the steel blade, process peaches until smooth, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides of bowl. Add syrup & lemon juice & process for 5 seconds. Cover & refrigerate until well chilled. Stir 1 cup champagne into peach mixture.
    Process in an ice cream freezer according to the manufacturer's directions. When slushy but not quite frozen, mix in the egg white & finish freezing.
    Just before serving, scoop sherbet into champagne glasses. Pour champagne over sherbet & serve.~~ From You're Invited.

This I have made & you could easily serve it in martini glasses.
    CHOCOLATE MOUSSE W/RASPBERRY SAUCE (serves 6-8)
    2 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
    1/2 cup powdered sugar
    1 cup hot milk
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    1 envelope unflavored gelatin
    1/3 tsp salt
    1/2 cup water
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 cups whipping cream, whipped (measure first, then whip)
    1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds

combine chocolate & powdered sugar in saucepan. Gradually add hot milk, stirring constantly. Place over low heat & stir until mixture almost reasches the boiling point but do not boil. Remove chocolate mixture from heat. Combine granulated sugar, gelatin & salt in a small saucepan. Stir in water & place over low heat until gelatin is dissolved, stirring constanly. Add gelatin mixture & vanilla to chocolate mixture. Chill until slightly thickened. Beat with a roatary beater until light & fluffy. Fold in whipped cream. Spoon into a 2 qt mold or serving dish. Garnish with toasted almonds. chill 2-3 hours. Serve with Raspberry Sauce.~~

For the Raspberry Sauce, all you need to do is thaw a pkg of frozen raspberries, put in a processor until liquid, add some sugar to taste & strain the seeds out.

This is my old stand-by dessert. I've never served it without somebody asking for the recipe. After it's made & you're ready to serve, use an ice cream scoop to serve it in your glasses. I'd put the raspberry sauce on the bottom, top with the chocolate scoops & top with whipped cream or whipped cream with a few fresh raspberries on top.

SLICES OF SIN (serves 10-12) MUST MAKE AHEAD
    8 oz semisweet chocolate (use good chocolate)
    1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
    2 sticks butter
    1 cup sugar
    4 eggs, beaten
    1 cup heavy cream
    2-3 tsp brandy (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Line a glass loaf pan with foil; butter the foil. In the top of a double boiler, melt the chocolate in the coffee. Add the butter & sugar, stirring until the butter is melted. Cool the mixture for 10 minutes. Bake until a crust forms on top, approximately 35-45 minutes. Let the pan cool until just warm to the touch. The dessert will rise & fall as it cools. When cool, wrap the pan well & refrigerate at least 2 days or up to 2 weeks. When ready to serve, beat the cream until stiff. Stir in the brandy, if using. Unmold the loaf & slice into individual servings (or scoop into your glasses.) Garnish w/dollops of whipped cream.~~ From Capital Classics.

• mara1331
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Some nice ideas, thank you Ginger !

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

You're welcome. I'm sure thre will be other ideas posted.

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    19 years ago

Here's one I seved in glasses, just scoop it out and top with a little frsh whipped cream, I used challah or brioche bread.

Chocolate Bread Pudding

2 cups heavy cream
    2 cups milk
    1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise, seeds scraped
    3 cinnamon sticks (optional)
    1 loaf brioche(about 1 pound, or you may substitute white bread)
    12 ounces chopped Valrhona or other bittersweet chocolate, plus 1/2 ounce or 1/4 cup
    shavings for garnish
    8 large egg yolks
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 container(8 ounces) Creme Fraiche

Heat the oven to 325°. Place the cream, milk, vanilla seeds and pod, and cinnamon sticks, if using, in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover with plastic wrap, and let sit for 30 minutes to infuse flavors.
    Cut the brioche into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Cut slices into quarters, setting aside the rounded top pieces. Fill a 9-by-12-inch gratin dish or a deep oval roasting dish with the quartered pieces.
    Return the milk mixture to a boil, remove from heat, and discard vanilla pod and cinnamon sticks. Add chocolate, and whisk until smooth. Combine egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl, and whisk to combine. Pour chocolate mixture very slowly into egg-yolk mixture, whisking constantly, until fully combined.
    Slowly pour half the chocolate custard over bread, making sure all the bread is soaked. Arrange the reserved bread on top in a decorative pattern, and press firmly so bottom layer of bread absorbs chocolate mixture. Spoon remaining custard over bread until completely covered and all cracks are filled. Place a piece of plastic wrap over the dish; press down to soak bread thoroughly. Remove plastic, wipe edges of the dish with a damp towel, and allow to sit for 30 minutes. Place gratin dish in a larger pan; fill outer pan with hot water halfway up the sides of the gratin dish. Bake until set, about 35 minutes. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes.
    Whisk the crème fraîche until soft peaks form. Serve pudding warm, garnished with crème fraîche and chocolate shavings.

NOTES :
    A nine-by-thirteen-inch glass baking dish may be used in place of a gratin dish.
    -------------------------------------------------
    I've never made this but it looks nice served in a martini glass.
    I love zabaglione!

Zabaglione with Strawberries (serves 4)

8 large egg yolks, at room temperature
    3/4 cup dry marsala
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 pint strawberries, sliced

Put the egg yolks, the marsala, and then the sugar into a large stainless-steel bowl. Set the bowl over a large saucepan filled with 1 inch of barely simmering water. Using a hand-held electric mixer on low speed or a whisk, beat the egg-yolk mixture until it is hot and the mixture forms a ribbon when the beaters are lifted, 5 to 8 minutes. Don't cook the zabaglione for too long, or it will curdle.

Put the strawberries in stemmed glasses or in bowls. Top with the hot zabaglione and either serve the dessert immediately or refrigerate it for up to an hour.

NOTES : Serve the zabaglione hot, when it's just made, but if you want to prepare the dish ahead of time, mix the zabaglione with whipped cream and refrigerate it as described in the first variation below.

Variations
    For a zabaglione that will last up to six hours in the refrigerator, add whipped cream. Beat half a cup of heavy cream just until it holds firm peaks. When the zabaglione is done, remove the bowl from the heat and continue beating until it's cool. Fold the cooled zabaglione into the whipped cream. Put the strawberries in bowls, top with the zabaglione, and refrigerate.

Substitute blueberries, raspberries, or sliced peaches for the strawberries.

Test-Kitchen Tip
    What you need to make zabaglione is, in effect, a double boiler that's wide enough to accommodate an electric mixer. This is easy to rig up with a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan. Food and Wine Magazine

-------------------------------------
    I've made this one, but I used a baking dish instead of ramekins. It could be scooped out and served in glasses.

Caramel Apple Bread Pudding

2 Granny Smith apples, unpeeled and cut into matchsticks
    Juice of 1 lemon
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
    1 day-old 8-ounce loaf brioche
    1 1/4 cups heavy cream
    3 large eggs
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Caramel Bourbon Vanilla Sauce:
    2 cups sugar
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
    2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 tablespoon bourbon

Heat oven to 325°. Place apples in a small bowl, and toss with lemon juice; set aside. Butter six 8-ounce ramekins or custard cups; place in a roasting pan. Cut brioche into eight slices, then quarter each slice; set brioche aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together cream, eggs, sugar, salt, vanilla, and nutmeg. Add brioche, and toss to coat.

Place 1 tablespoon caramel sauce into each ramekin. Add approximately 1/3 cup apple mixture, then 1/3 cup bread mixture. Add a second layer of sauce, apple, and bread.

Carefully place the roasting pan on the center oven rack. Fill roasting pan with hot water to within 1/2 inch of ramekin tops. Cover pan with aluminum foil. Cook 20 minutes. Remove foil; cook 20 minutes more. Remove roasting pan from the oven, and transfer ramekins to a wire rack to cool 5 minutes. Using a towel, invert ramekins onto serving platter. Serve warm with remaining caramel sauce on the side.

CARAMEL VANILLA BOURBON SAUCE:
    Combine sugar and 1/2 cup water in a 2-quart saucepan set over medium heat. Without stirring, cook mixture until dark amber in color, swirling the pan carefully while cooking, about 20 minutes.

Reduce the heat to low. Slowly add cream, stirring with a wooden spoon. Scrape the vanilla seeds into the pan, and add the pod. Add lemon juice, butter, and bourbon. Stir to combine.

Cover, and store, refrigerated, up to 1 week. Bring sauce to room temperature, or warm over low heat, before using.

NOTES : My notes- I used a large baking dish and kept it covered for 30 minutes and then baked it for about 30 minutes more without the foil.

• woodie
    19 years ago

Wow, you have 10 heavy crystal martini glasses! Lucky you!

• ruthanna_gw
    19 years ago

When I want a lighter dessert, I make this:

FRUIT WITH CANNOLI CREAM (4 servings)

1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
    1/3 cup sugar
    3/ 4 tsp. orange zest
    3 Tbs. orange juice
    2 Tbs. mini chocolate chips
    1 apple, cored and cut into 8 wedges
    1 pear, cored and cut into 8 wedges
    1 plum, pitted and cut into 8 wedges
    1 pint strawberries, hulled

In a blender or food processor, combine the cheese, sugar, orange peel and orange juice and process until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and fold in 1 Tbs. of the chocolate chips. Place the fruit on a platter and spoon the ricotta mixture over it. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips, and serve. Note: You can also arrange the fruit in four large goblets or wine glasses and top each portion with some of the sauce and chips. Other fresh fruits can be substituted. Apricots, raspberries and blueberries are all good in this recipe.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    19 years ago

I like this layered: crumbled chocolate cake (homemade), drizzle with kahlua, chocolate mousse (Julia's), stiff whipped cream with some liquor flavoring, dust with cocoa or grated chocolate shavings or curls. Stick a tulle cookie in the side.
    I've served this as a dessert for 35 and it's a big hit.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths