Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cuffs054

RECIPE: church teens coming for dessert

cuffs054
18 years ago

I have volunteered (?) to have 16-20 "youth" come to my house this Sunday for dessert after a progressive dinner. I need some ideas. I'm thinking easy to make and serve!

Comments (8)

• woodie
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This disappeared quickly when I made it for a group of young people one time and it looks pretty with the Chessman cookies on top.

NOT YO' MAMA'S BANANA PUDDING
    Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

2 bags Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies
    6 to 8 bananas, sliced
    2 cups milk
    1 (5-ounce) box instant French vanilla pudding
    1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
    1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping thawed, or equal amount sweetened whipped cream

Line the bottom of a 13 by 9 by 2-inch dish with 1 bag of cookies and layer bananas on top.
    In a bowl, combine the milk and pudding mix and blend well using a handheld electric mixer. Using another bowl, combine the cream cheese and condensed milk together and mix until smooth. Fold the whipped topping into the cream cheese mixture. Add the cream cheese mixture to the pudding mixture and stir until well blended. Pour the mixture over the cookies and bananas and cover with the remaining cookies. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

• judy5a
    18 years ago

How about an ice cream sundae "fix it yourself" bar? - have like chocolate and vanilla ice cream, a bunch of different toppings/nuts and syrups, etc. then they can make their own!

• glenda_al
    18 years ago

This sounds good. Got rave reviews

--------------------------------------

Chocolate Trifle

Submitted by: Wayne

"At church functions, folks line up for this trifle. And it is so easy to make!" Original recipe yield: 12 servings.
    Prep Time:30 MinutesCook Time:25 MinutesReady In:8 Hours 55 MinutesServings:12 (change)

INGREDIENTS:

1 (19.8 ounce) package brownie mix
    1 (3.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
    1/2 cup water
    1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
    1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
    1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
    1 (1.5 ounce) bar chocolate candy

DIRECTIONS:

Prepare brownie mix according to package directions and cool completely. Cut into 1 inch squares.
    In a large bowl, combine pudding mix, water and sweetened condensed milk. Mix until smooth, then fold in 8 ounces whipped topping until no streaks remain.
    In a trifle bowl or glass serving dish, place half of the brownies, half of the pudding mixture and half of the 12 ounce container of whipped topping. Repeat layers. Shave chocolate onto top layer for garnish. Refrigerate 8 hours before serving.

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

LEMON BARS DELUXE
    2 1/4 cup flour
    1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, plus additional for sprinkling
    2 sticks butter
    4 beaten eggs
    2 cups granulated sugar
    1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    Preheat oven to 350. Whisk together 2 cups of the flour & the confectioners' sugar. Cut in the butter until the mixture clings together. Press the dough into a 13x9x2" baking dish. Bake 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
    Meanwhile, beat together the eggs, granulated sugar & lemon juice. Mix the remaining 1/4 cup flour with the baking powder; stir into the egg mixture & pour over the hot baked crust. Bake for 25 minutes longer. Remove from the oven & sprinkle w/confectioners' sugar. Cool. Cut into squares.~~From Mountain Measures.

RICH CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE (serves 10-12)
    1 1/2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 cup butter, melted
    Two 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
    3/4 cup sugar
    3 eggs
    8 oz sour cream
    Six (1 oz) squares semisweet chocolate, melted
    1 TBL + 3/4 tsp cocoa
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
    Garnishes: additional whipped cream, sliced almonds, chocolate curls
    Combine first 3 ingredients, mixing well. Press mixture into bottom of a 9" springform pan; chill. Beat cream cheese until light & fluffy; gradually add sugar, mixing well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in sour cream, melted chocolate, cocoa & vanilla; mix well. Gently fold in whipped cream; spoon into prepared pan. Bake in a preheated 300° oven for 1 hour. Turn off oven; allow cheesecake to cool in oven 30 minutes. Open door & allow cheesecake to cool in oven an additional 30 minutes. Refrigerate 8 hours. Remove sides of springform pan & garnish, if desired. Can be frozen.~~
    From Food for Thought.

KILLER CUPCAKES (makes 20-22)
    Cupcakes:
    4 squares (4 oz) semisweet chocolate
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 sticks butter
    4 eggs
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 cup flour

Preheat oven to 350°. Line standard muffin tins w/paper cupcake liners. In the top part of a double boiler over simmering water, melt the chocolate w/the vanilla & butter. In a large bowl, beat the eggs until thick & add the sugar. Beat in the flour. Fold in the butter-chocolate mixture. Spoon into the prepared tins, filling the cups 2/3 full.

Filling:
    8 oz cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 egg, beaten
    Dash of salt
    3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Mix the cream cheese, sugar, egg & salt until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chips. Drop a rounded teaspoon of filling onto the top of each cupcake. Bake 30 minutes.~~

This one should be made at least a day ahead up to 4-5 days before serving:

SLICES OF SIN (serves 10-12)
    8 oz semisweet chocolate (use a good brand)
    1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
    2 sticks butter, (1/2 lb)
    1 cup sugar
    4 eggs, beaten
    1 cup heavy cream
    Preheat oven to 350°. Line a glass loaf pan w/foil; butter the foil. In the top of a double boiler, melt the chocolate in the coffee. Add the butter & sugar, stirring until the butter is melted. Cool the mixture for 10 minutes. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Bake until a crust forms on top, approximately 35-45 minutes. When cool enough to handle, set the loaf pan in enough cool water to come halfway up the pan. The dessert wil rise & fall as it cools. When cool, wrap the pan well & refrigerate for at least 2 days or up to 2 weeks. When ready to serve, beat the cream until stiff (can flavor with 2-3 tsp brandy, but I just used vanilla & a little sugar). Unmold the loaf & slice. Garnish w/cream.~~

• lindac
    18 years ago

WEll, if I know teens, and I believe I do, they will love something that they can have "one more" of and not have someone have to cut another piece of pie or make another parfait......and that means cookies and bars.
    My favorite "easy":
    Blond Brownies
    sift together:
    2 2/3 c. flour
    2 t. baking powder
    1/2 t. salt

melt and cool: 2/3 c. butter and 1 lb. bwown sugar
    add 3 beaten eggs, then the flour mixture and one 7oz. pkg choc. chips....and 1 c chopped pecans if desired. Spread in a greased 15 X 10 jelly roll pan, bake 25 min. at 350, cool slightly and cut in squares.

And another:
    These chocolate cookies were sooooo good, I had to pass along the recipe.
    The recipe is from last month's Cooking Light

COCOA FUDGE COOKIES

1 cup flour
    ¼ tsp baking soda
    1/8 tsp salt
    5 Tbsp butter
    7 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
    2/3 cup sugar
    1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    Cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 350°
    2. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine
    flour, soda and salt; set aside. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium
    heat. Remove from heat; stir in cocoa powder and sugars (mixture will
    resemble coarse sand). Add yogurt and vanilla, stirring to combine Add
    flour mixture, stirring until moist. Drop by level tablespoons 2 inches
    apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
    3. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until almost set. Cool on pans 2-3
    minutes or until firm. Remove cookies from pans; cool on wire racks.

Yield: 2 dozen cookies.

And here's another....a little more labor intensive:
    Here's a recipe for Triple-Layered Lemon Bars from Mrs. Fields Cookie Book.

Crust:

1/2 cup salted butter, softened
    1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
    1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
    1 cup all-purpose flour

Cream Cheese Filling:

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
    1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
    1 large egg
    1 tsp. pure lemon extract

Lemon Curd:

4 large egg yolks
    1 Tbsp. cornstarch
    3/4 cup white sugar
    3/4 cup water
    2 medium lemons grated for 2 tsp. lemon peel, and squeezed for 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    2 Tbsp. salted butter, softened

Topping:

2 Tbsp. confectioners' sugar

Preheat oven to 325.

To prepare shortbread crust: Cream butter and sugar in medium bowl with electric mixer set on high speed. Add vanilla and mix until combined. Add flour and mix at low speed until fully incorporated. Press dough evenly into bottom of an 8 x 8 inch baking pan. Refrigerate until firm, approximately 30 minutes. Prick crust with fork and bake for 30 minutes or until crust turns golden brown. Cool on rack to room temperature.

Prepare the cream cheese filling while the crust is baking. Beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth in medium bowl with electric mixer set on high speed. Add egg and lemon extract and beat on medium speed until light and smooth. Cover bowl tightly and refrigerate.

To prepare the lemon curd: Blend the egg yolks with the cornstarch and sugar in medium non-aluminum saucepan. Place over low heat and slowly whisk in water and lemon juice. Increase heat to medium-low and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat. Add lemon peel and butter and cool for 10 minutes.

To assemble bars: Spread chilled cream cheese filling evenly over cooled shortbread crust with spatula. Spread lemon curd evenly over cream cheese filling. Place pan in center of oven. Bake 30-40 minutes or until edges begin to turn light golden brown. Cool to room temperature on rack. Chill in refrigerator 1 hour before cutting into bars. Dust top with confectioners' sugar. Yield - 12 servings

• jenn
    18 years ago

I hope I'm not too late. This is very popular in our family and at work where I originally got the recipe. Very easy, very good!

Dump Cake

This is like a cherry cobbler.

* 1 20-oz. can crushed pineapple (in syrup) -- undrained
    * 1 21-oz. can cherry (or blueberry or blackberry) pie filling
    * 1 yellow cake mix (NOT one with pudding in the mix)
    * 1 cup chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, or almonds - we use walnuts)
    * 1 stick butter (do not substitute margarine)

Lightly spray 9 x 13 pan (preferably glass) with Pam (or a light coating of other vegetable oil).

Spread crushed pineapple and cherry pie filling in bottom of pan, gently stirring to mix evenly.

Sprinkle cake mix in an even layer on top; gently "level" with hand, taking care not to poke into fruit layer.

Sprinkle nuts evenly over the top of the cake.

Slice the butter into very thin slices (this works best when the butter is very cold). Place butter evenly over entire top of cake, covering as much of the surface as possible. (NOTE: You may need a little more than one stick of butter, depending on the size of the pan you use.)

Bake at 350F for 45-55 minutes, until top is lightly browned and fruit is bubbling.

May be served warm or cold, but it's best served warm with vanilla ice cream.

• cuffs054
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks one and all! It went off without a problem last night. They were well behaved and respectful. I made the blond brownies, not your mama banana pudding, and a turtle frozen dessert made with ice cream sandwiches.

• doucanoe
    18 years ago

oh, Woodie, you just solved my dilemna of what to make for Tim to bring to his family's Easter get-together tomorrow! Simple, make ahead and they will love it.

Banana pudding for all!

Linda

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz