Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_seedboy

LOOKING for: how to make rice pudding

the_seedboy
14 years ago

i love rice pudding but i do not know how to make it if some1 knows how please let me know thanks so much

Comments (5)

• jimisham
    14 years ago

After doing a lot of searching for a rice pudding I really liked, I came across this.
    Cooking time will depend on your crockpot. I found 2 to 2 1/2 hours on low with our Rival 3 1/2 quart crockpot worked for me.

OLD FASHIONED RICE PUDDING

2 1/2 c. cooked rice
    1 1/2 c. evaporated milk
    2/3 c. brown (or white) sugar
    1/2 c. raisins
    3 tbsp. soft butter
    2 tsp. vanilla
    1/2 tsp. nutmeg
    3 eggs, beaten

Combine ingredients thoroughly. Pour into greased crock pot. Stir during first 30 minutes. Cook high, 1-2 hours; low, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

• the_seedboy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you so much i have to give it a try

the_seedboy

• dawnp
    14 years ago

Heree's the recipe I've always made. It's a traditional version. It's very popular with my immediate and extended family and is often requested.

Adapted from the Good Housekeeping Illustrated cookbook.

Creamy Rice Pudding

6 cups milk (I use whole milk)
    1 cup white rice
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 cup whipping cream

1. Add milk rice, sugar, and salt to a 3 qt saucepan.

2. Over medium heat heat milk mixture until tiny bubbles
    form around the edge, stirring mixture frequently.

3. Reduce heat to low, cover, simmer 1 hour or until rice is very tender, stirring occasionally.
    4. Stir in vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, about 3 hours.
    5. In small, cold bowl beat with mixer 1 cup heavy or whipping cream into soft peaks. With rubber spatula, fold cream into pudding. Spoon into dessert dishes. Sprinkle with cinnamon.

You could probably cook this recipe in a crock pot as well.

• lisbet
    13 years ago

A good "How To" for reading on the subject:

http://www.finecooking.com/articles/how-to/creamiest-rice-pudding.aspx
    ----------------------------------
    Old Fashioned Rice Pudding
    This recipe is taken from How to Cook Book One and has also appeared in Sainsbury's Magazine (Dairy Collection)._

4 ounces (110 g) pudding rice
    14½ ounces (410 g) evaporated milk
    1 pint (570 g) golden granulated or caster sugar
    1 whole nutmeg
    1 ounce (25 g) butter
    ¼ teaspoon salt

Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 2, 300°F (150°C)
    You will need a round ovenproof dish with a diameter of 9 inches (23 cm), 2 inches (5 cm) deep, lightly buttered.
    This is simplicity itself, because all you do is mix the evaporated milk and whole milk together in a jug, then place the rice and sugar in the ovenproof dish, pour in the liquid and give it all a good stir. Grate the whole nutmeg all over the surface (it may seem a lot but it needs it), then, finally, dot the butter on top in little flecks.
    Next just carefully pop the dish in the oven on the centre shelf and leave it there for 30 minutes, then slide the shelf out and give everything a good stir.
    Repeat the stirring after a further 30 minutes, then pop the dish back in the oven to cook for another hour, this time without stirring.
    At the end of this time the rice grains will have become swollen, with pools of creamy liquid all around them, and, of course, all that lovely skin! This is wonderful served warm with Plums in Marsala.

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

This is absolutely the best rice pudding I have ever tasted. If it's made with skim milk it still tastes like it was made with cream. I would never go back to baked rice pudding.

CREAMY RICE PUDDING

4 cups milk
    pinch of salt
    1/2 cup long grain rice
    1/2 cup sugar
    3/4 tsp. vanilla
    1 1/2 tbsp. corn starch
    1 egg (beaten)
    1/2 cup raisins

Put raisins in a cup and pour boiling water over them and leave them to soak while you make the pudding. This will plump them up.
    In a large saucepan mix milk, rice, salt, and sugar. Bring to a boil and boil gently on medium low heat for 3/4 to 1 hour, stirring often. Taste the rice if it's cooked it's ready.
    Mix corn starch with a little milk and add to above. Beat egg, add a little of hot mixture and stir. Add this to the pudding( this prevents egg from cooking on contact--otherwise you may end up with bits of cooked egg in the pudding. Stir and cook until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and drained raisins. Stir, cool slightly and serve--an occasional stir while it's cooling will prevent a skin forming.
    Serves 4

Sponsored
VA's Foremost Professional Roofing & Siding Craftsmen