Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snowball_47

RECIPE: need a recipe for a Sponge cake

snowball
18 years ago

making a birthday cake (gonna try that set of books I got for Christmas) and try this cake really cute calls for a sponge cake...so I need a recipe. What is the difference in Sponge cake and Angel food? Its for my 2 year old granddaughter The cake is round frosted with whipping cream and green coconut so that it looks like a bank in the center is jello with a duck floating on it and the bank is decorated with "marshmellow" flowers (flatten and cut to look like big flowers) has a frog sitting near by really cute think instead of cutting a duck from the medium they suggested I'll use a bath tub ducky they are small the frog not sure never used "sugarpaste icing" before (the books are published in London) and some of the terms are some what different. What is a Flan pan? I only know the term flan as a mexican dessert. Hopefully some of you that helped out when I was asking about the terms before will see this and also respond.

Thanks again

snowball

Comments (4)

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

Angel cakes don't use any yolks.
    SPONGE CAKE
    6 eggs
    1 TBL lemon juice
    1 tsp grated lemon rind (no white part, only the yellow)
    1 cup sifted cake flour
    Pinch of salt
    1 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 325°. Lightly grease & flour the bottom, not the sides of a 10" tube pan.
    Break the eggs into the large bowl of a mixer, add the lemon juice & grated rind & beat the mixture at highest speed until soft peaks form, 12-16 minutes.
    while the eggs are being beaten, sift together the flour & salt onto a piece of waxed paper.
    Continue beating the eggs at highest speed (after soft peaks form) & pour the sugar in a fine stream over them, taking 2 1/2 to 3 minutes to add all the sugar.
    Change to lowest speed & sift the flour & salt over the surface of the mixture as the bowl turns, taking 2 1/2 to 3 minutes to add all the flour. Scrape the sides of the bowl & beat at lowest speed 1/2 minutes.
    Pour the batter into the prepared pan & bake 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
    Invert the cake pan & set it on a rack to cool. Prop it up if necessary so that the air can circulate between the cake & countertop. Let the cake cool at room temperature before removing it from the pan.~~from Craig Claiborne

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

Oh, forgot about this: the flan you're talking about is sort of like a tart with fruit. The other type is the custard kind.

• lindac
    18 years ago

The sponge cake you want is a "jelly roll" cake.

INGREDIENTS:

3/4 cup cake flour
    3/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    4 eggs
    3/4 cup sifted sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    PREPARATION:

Sift flour once, then measure. Combine baking powder, salt, and eggs in a bowl. Place bowl over a pan or bowl of hot water then beat with an electric mixer until egg mixture is thick and light lemon-colored

Remove bowl from the pan or bowl of hot water. Fold in flour and vanilla. Line a 15x10x1-inch jelly roll pan with greased wax paper or parchment paper. Spread batter in prepared pan; bake at 400° for 13 minutes or until just done. The center should spring back when lightly touched. Quickly trim crisp edges from cake. Turn out onto a clean dish towel which has beef liberally sprinkled with confectioners' sugar. Peel paper from bottom of cake.

The "flan pan" it calls for is also known as a tart tin....it's a shallow fluted edge pan, often with a removable bottom.

An algelfood cake is make with only egg whites and I don't believe it would work to bake it in a shallow pan.
    Linda C

• carmellia
    15 years ago

Linda C, when do you add the sugar? At the beginning with the eggs over the hot water?

Thanks. Carmellia

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!