Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Ice Cream recipe using Chocolate Milk

Posted by mama_mia (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 23, 06 at 18:13

by accident, my husband and I each bought a half gallon of Oberweiss chocolate milk on the same day ... our family barely gets through one half gallon before the expiration date, so I thought perhaps a good use of this would be to make Cholocate Ice Cream.

I have a Donvier hand crank ice cream maker. I've run some searches for recipes using chocolate milk (which has a good portion of sugar in it, but not as much as ice cream of course) but came up empty. By the way, this milk has 2% milk fat, so presumably I would add some cream to the mixture as well as sugar. For those unfamiliar with Oberweiss,it is a high quality, delicious milk, I'm guessing it would make really yummy ice cream.

Maybe I'm trying too hard to be frugal and save this 1/2 gallon of milk, but on the other hand, maybe someone out there has a recipe for me! thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Ice Cream recipe using Chocolate Milk

The one below uses chocolate milk if you don't have an aversion to Cool Whip.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ice cream

o
RE: : Ice Cream recipe using Chocolate Milk

Here's another using whipping cream.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chocolate ice cream

o

wow- two great replies with two extremes. thank you! the one from emerill adds whipping cream, evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk and chocolate syrup to the chocolate milk, the other "just" adds sweetened condensed milk and cool whip. very interesting. I might have to give them both a try...

o

I would be really interested in your results. I hope you post them.

o

I wouldn't doo too much to that oberiwiss milk....after all the object of this is to save something that might get thrown out.
I would just beat 4 eggs with about 3/4 cup sugar, add a cup of the milk and stir and bring to a simmer....so that it just thickens.... cool, mix with the milk and freeze...
But I think what I really would do...is just freeze the milk....doing nothing to it...
You will have to eat it quickly as it will get icy upon standing....but I'll bet that fresh out of the Doinvier it will be very nice!
Or...of course you could just freeze the milk.....and thaw when needed....
Linda C

o

Ok, I tried the About.com recipe, which was essentially chocolate milk, sweetened condensed milk and cool whip. (I added some Hersheys syrup to make it more chocolate-y).

It didnt turn out to be what I hoped for, and given the ingredients, I know why - its really more like ice milk than ice cream. It didnt freeze well in the ice cream maker, instead staying at a Wendys Frosty consistency and thats kind of what it tasted like, too (which isnt bad of course, just not what I was going for) When I put it in the freezer, it froze very solid, too solid. Taking it out of the container was like a granita.

the next time we're in this "predicament" of too much chocolate milk, I'll try a recipe with more fat, either from cream or eggs. Until then, I have a stash of this ice milk in the freeze which will make quite a few awesome milk shakes...

o

The other one with the whipping cream might turn out better. Every homemade ice cream I've made freezes really hard after it's stored. Enjoy your milk shakes though!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here