Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robynpa_gw

RECIPE: Buttercream Frosting

robynpa
15 years ago

Has anyone made this recipe before? We have a bakery here in Pgh that is famous for its frosting and the recipe is a secret. I found this by doing a Google search of the bakery name but I have not made it yet so I don't know if it is good or not. I will post after I make it this weekend but was hoping someone here had made it and can say if its good or not.

Frosting

¾ cup of butter, divided

¼ flour

1 cup milk

½ cup solid vegetable shorting

1 cup sugar

1 tea vanilla

Melt ¼ cup butter in small saucepan and stir in flour.

Cook 1 minute stirring constantly.

Add milk and stir with a whisk until sauce comes to a vigorous boil and thickens.

Remove from heat and cover surface with plastic wrap and cool to room temp.

Beat remaining ½ cup of butter and shortening in bowl until creamy.

Add sugar and vanilla and beat 2 minutes.

Gradually add the sauce and beat 2 minutes more or until light and creamy and sugar is dissolved.

Comments (5)

• Nancy
    15 years ago

I make something similar as a filling for a cake, tastes similar to a hostess cupcake. The amounts are a just a bit different but the method is the same. I wouldn't call it a buttercream, but it is tasty.

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Mix 1/4 c. butter & 1/4 cup flour & when mixed & smooth plus the milk you have white sauce used in creamed potatoes & peas etc. Browning the butter mixture at all would make it no longer very white. But flavor might be good. Cut all ingredients in half & try it. That way you arn't wasting so much if you don't like it, & could add about 1/2-1 c to taste of melted choc chips or peanut butter or butterscotch chips & use it between graham crackers or on 9 in. cake so you wouldn't have to throw it out. I often make a much smaller amount to see if I like it. Only thing that doesn't work with is candy! Did you check out the other post on buttercream. There are several receipes posted on it, maybe this one is on it. I don't have time to check. Have to be up early in morning. Jan

• robynpa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did as sunnyca suggested and made 1/2 a batch. It turned out pretty close to the bakery frosting so it's a keeper for me. I will make a full batch for DS birthday cake on Monday. I will put the sugar through the food processor first to get it a bit finer and I will not cook the butter flour mixture as long as I did this time. The vanilla was not clear so the frosting is not pure white but it tastes very good and is not too sweet.

• bybfbh
    15 years ago

Hi Robyn!
    Good luck with it! I'm glad your test batch turned out well.

Here is the other thread. I've been toying with Buttercream for some time now...trying to find one with a light(ish) texture, but will hold piping (large tip stars, etc).

I've managed to come up with a frosting that I can work with for now. I have combined several recipes together and put this together. I've adjusted flavorings to what seems to be my family's preferences. I'll keep tweaking, but for now:

A Buttercream I Can Work With!!

Â 2 cups butter (or 1 c butter 1 c shortening)
    Â 2 lbs powdered sugar (8 cups)
    Â 1/4 teaspoon salt
     1 ½ tablespoon meringue powder (optional)
     1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
    Â 1 teaspoon almond extract
    Â 4-6 ounces heavy whipping cream

Directions

1. Cream butter until fluffy.
    2. Add sugar, meringue powder and half the whipping cream. Cream until well blended.
    3. Add salt, flavorings and enough whipping cream to make the desired consistency.
    4. Beat at medium speed until icing is fluffy.

Notes:

1. I used all sweet cream, unsalted butter. I did NOT use clear vanilla. The frosting was nearly white.
    2. I saw some recipes said to add clear butter flavoring. I didnÂt have any, so I havenÂt tried adding it.
    3. I did use meringue powder. In fact, I increased the meringue powder above what most recipes called for. I tried 1/2, 1, and 1 1/2 Tbsp, and determined 1 1/2 Tbsp held up the best for me. The frosting was not crusty.
    4. Most recipes I found called for 1/2 tsp of salt. It tasted too salty to me, so I halved the salt.
    5. I found that adding heavy whipping cream did seem to lighten up the texture...just not quite to where I want it. I'll keep adjusting measurements.

Other Notes:
    Everyone who has tried my cupcakes with this frosting recipe seems to love this recipe hands down. I like the taste. ItÂs not too sweet. The texture isnÂt quite as fluffy as IÂm trying to achieve, but it produces a frosting that stays on the cupcake (I pipe it with huge pastry tips) and holds its shape.

I'm not completely there yet, but I think I'm finally on the right path. Thanks for following my journey. Let me know if you try it out and have any thoughts/comments.

Here is a link that might be useful: looking for: whipped frosting...not too airy

• robynpa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just a follow-up: This frosting (and the chocolate mayo cake) has gotten rave reviews from the 5 people who had the cake last night. I made it again today for DSs birthday cake for tomorrow night and will get more feedback then. I put the sugar through the food processor this time and the frosting came out very nice.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio