Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol_schmertzlersiegel

RECIPE: Lemon Custard Cakes

I made these today. They're very light! I could have eaten all six of them!

Lemon Custard Cakes

Unsalted butter, room temperature, for custard cups

3 large eggs, separated

1/2 cup granulated sugar

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 to 3 teaspoons grated lemon zest (1 lemon)

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

1 cup milk

1/4 teaspoon salt

Confectioners sugar, for dusting

Preheat oven to 350°. Set a kettle of water to boil. Butter six 6-ounce custard cups and place in a dish towel-lined baking dish or roasting pan.

In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar until light; whisk in flour. Gradually whisk in lemon juice, then milk and zest.

With an electric mixer, beat egg whites and salt until soft peaks form. Add to lemon batter and fold in gently with a whisk (batter will be quite liquid).

Divide batter among prepared custard cups; place baking dish in oven and fill with boiling water to reach halfway up sides of cups. Bake until puffed and lightly browned (but pudding is still visible in bottom), 20 to 25 minutes. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature, dusted with confectioners sugar. from Everyday Food

Comments (30)

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

I love good lemon desserts. Thanks for posting this one.

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    Original Author
    19 years ago

You're welcome, Ginger! DH loved them! He liked it better cold from the fridge rather than warm. I'm definitely making these again, they were very easy.

• JessyFeldm_speakeasy
    19 years ago

I wonder why a dish towel is used.

Looks like these could be called MLCs - molten lemon cakes!

Original Author
    19 years ago

I didn't notice the dish towel part until you mentioned it (I usually screw up some part of a recipe like reading 2 eggs when it's supposed to be 3 because the reading glasses are upsatirs!) I'd guess you put the towel on the bottom so the custard cups don't slip around (yup, that's what happened, they slid, but I saved it, barely!)

The bottom was sort of molten, the top more like a souffle. They puffed up really nice in the oven but deflated when they cooled. My kids didn't love them, they LOVE chocolate. I used meyer lemons I was able to get at the supermarket!

Here is a link that might be useful: lemon custard cake

• woodie
    19 years ago

Thanks Carol, I just LOVE lemon desserts.

Original Author
    19 years ago

Woodie, I love lemon desserts, also. and every once in a while I'm able to get a bunch of meyer lemons. I freeze the juice and the rind so I have it whenever I need it. Luscious Lemon Desserts by Lori Longbotham, has loads of nice recipes. I'll post some later!

• woodie
    19 years ago

Thanks, have you ever had Traceys lemon sponge pie? It really is 'easy as pie' and its great.

Posted by TRACEYS (My Page) on Wed, Jul 16, 03 at 9:36
    This is my favorite pie. I use my moms pie crust recipe that uses lard but you can use whatever you prefer. If I can make a pie anyone can.

LEMON SPONGE PIE

1 9" pie shell unbaked
    2 Tablespoons flour
    1 Tablespoon melted butter
    1 Cup sugar
    2 Eggs separated
    1/8 Teaspoon salt
    Zest and juice of 1 lemon
    1 Cup milk

Beat egg whites until stiff.
    Combine butter, egg yolks, salt, lemon juice and zest, and sugar then and in flour and beat(I usually just use a whisk). Add milk and mix well. Fold in egg whites and pour into pie shell.

Bake 10 minutes at 425 degrees. Turn oven down to 350 degrees and bake for additional 30 minutes.

Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for Tracey's recipe! I'll give it a try this weekend, we're having friends over Saturday night!

From that Lemon book, I haven't tried this one yet but it looks really good!
    LEMON AND BLUEBERRY TIRAMISU
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup water
    3 strips lemon zest, removed with a vegetable peeler
    One 7-ounce package imported Italian ladyfingers (savoiardi)
    3 batches Blueberry Sauce (about 4 cups)(recipe follows)
    1 1/2 cups Lemon Curd (recipe follows)
    One 8-ounce container mascarpone cheese
    1/2 cup heavy (whipping) cream

Bring the sugar, water and lemon zest to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Pour the mixture into a small bowl and cool to room temperatur. Discard the lemon zest.

Cocer the bottom of a 9 X 13 inch glass baking dish with the ladyfingers. Brush them with the cooled sugar syrup. Pour the Blueberry Sauce over the ladyfingers.

Whisk together the Lemon Curd, mascarpone, and heavy cream in a medium bowl until smooth. Pour the mixture over the Blueberry Sauce and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Refrigerate, covered, for at least six hours or overnight.

Serve in stemmed glasses or bowls.

LEMON CURD
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
    3 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
    pinch of salt
    6 large egg yolks

Melt the butter in a heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat.

Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the sugar, lemon juice, zest, and salt. Whisk in yolks until smooth.

Cook the mixture, whisking constantly, until it thickens and leaves a path on the back of a wooden spoon when a finger is drawn across it; do not allow the mixture to boil.

Immediately pour the Lemon Curd throuhg a strainer into a bowl. Let cool to room temperature; whisking occasionally. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve. (Lemon Curd keeps for a month in the refrigerator and for about 3 months in the freezer.

BLUEBERRY SAUCE
    1 pint fresh blueberries, picked over
    1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
    2 tablespoons water
    1 to 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

Cook the blueberries, sugar, and water over medium heat, stirring occasionally, in a large saucepan, for 5 minutes, or until the berries are softened and a sauce is formed.

Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the lemon juice to taste. Serve warm or cold. Cool to room temperature before refrigerating. (The sauce will keep for 1 week, covered, in the refrigerator. Reheat gently.)

• Terri_PacNW
    19 years ago

Gosh everything sounds so good.
    I really need to get another set of custard cups.

• jamie_mt
    19 years ago

Thank you for posting that Lemon Custard Cake recipe!! I made them last night for dessert...I love them! DH liked them, though chocolate is more his "thing", but I really enjoyed them, and will be making them often. Can't wait to snack on the rest through the week... :-)

Original Author
    19 years ago

you're welcome, Jamie! I thought they were great, too. I also made Tracy's lemon sponge pie to serve for company this past weekend. Really easy, very lemony. It was really good, even if I couldn't cut it in pretty slices :) Thanks for posting it, Woodie!

• riverrat1
    18 years ago

My DH was passing by the computer as I was looking at your photograph of the custard cake. He read the recipe and said it looks just like something his mom used to make. I'll make this tommorrow since he seemed very excited about it! Thanks for my DH's trip down memory lane. This must be an old recipe!

• ann_t
    18 years ago

Carol, I made these tonight and they are

. I can't believe how light they are. I'll be making these often. Thanks

Ann

Original Author
    18 years ago

They are nice, aren't they, Ann! I'm glad you enjoyed them. Now I think I have to make them again, too! Your picture looks delicious, so it's on the menu for tonight!

River, I found that recipe in the Martha Stewart magazine, Everday Food. I'm glad it brought back nice memories for your DH :)

• ann_t
    18 years ago

Carol, I had one for lunch today and it was just as good. I zapped it in the microwave just long enough to take the chill off of it.

Ann

• jenn
    18 years ago

Those sound and look so light and delicious. Will be making those for sure. A good way to use some of the lemons on our tree.

• jessyf
    18 years ago

OK who wants to venture an opinion on how substituting Boyajian Lemon oil would do instead of the zest. Keep in mind that stuff is powerful.

Original Author
    18 years ago

I would use very, very little of that stuff! It may be too strong for these custards.
    I have a small bottle and used it to substitute zest in a cranberry sauce recipe and it was way too overpowering. What do you use it in, Jessica? It's just sitting in my fridge for a long time, I never used it after that.

• jessyf
    18 years ago

ooops never got back here.

Try using it very very sparingly. Like a drop or two for a batch of muffins. I use it in place of zest. And it will last forever in your fridge!

Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks, Jessica! I must have used at least a teaspoon, if not more!

• jessyf
    18 years ago

Oh lord no. Just a drop or two. Literally, especially for that small a batch.

• grammabonnie
    18 years ago

I don't have any custard cups. Would it be possible to make this recipe in a loaf pan or a 9x9" pan?

• ann_t
    18 years ago

Do you have little ramekins? That's what I made them in last week.

Ann

Original Author
    18 years ago

or maybe you can even use oven-proof mugs if you don't have reamekins or custard cups? I saw that in a magazine somehwere, and it was a nice presentation in the mugs.

• jimisham
    18 years ago

grammabonnie

We've got a recipe that's a lot like this one called Puff Pudding and one of the ingredients is Grape Nuts.
    It's baked in a 1 quart baking dish.
    Here's what the directions say for baking.
    "Pour into greased 1 quart baking dish. Set dish in pan of hot water. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes. The baked pudding will have 2 layers. Serve warm or chilled."

• abiroo
    18 years ago

Thanks for the recipe, I took them to work, in the ramkins for V day and everyone enjoyed!!!!

• john4
    18 years ago

Thank you all for these recipes. I hope to try them soon. My Meyer lemon tree has an abundance of lemons on at present and I am keen to try out new ways of using them.

Could we do a deal? I can ship the lemons over to you guys in the Northern Hemisphere and you ship me back luscious desserts ready to eat! I know I would consider it a winner from my end! LOL

John, in Oz

• bubbeskitchen
    18 years ago

Carol,

Those look and sound so appealing.
    I'm saving this post too! I love lemon desserts!

Good thing that you're tall with that sweet tooth of yours.

Bubbe (who has not been around here for ages)

Original Author
    18 years ago

John, check out the link for some wonderful recipes to use up those meyers :)

Bubbe, we've missed you, glad to see you back! You will love the custard cakes, very light! ah, LOL, my sweet tooth, is catching up with me, the height won't help :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Favorite lemon recipes...

• bubbeskitchen
    18 years ago

Thank for the link, Carol.

I've saved it in my recipes-to-try file.

Renée