Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: cream puffs

Posted by Janet_KS (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 26, 04 at 13:51

I'm in the mood for cream puffs -- haven't had them since I was a kid. Does anyone have a T&T recipe they'd like to share? Also, we always filled them with pudding, but I'm open to other ideas....

Thanks,
Janet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: cream puffs

This is a recipe I've always used & never had a flop yet. Got it from Craig Claiborne & posted it a while back for someone & they had good luck with it too.
CREAM PUFF SHELLS (10 large puffs)
1 cup water
1/4 lb butter
Pinch of salt
1 cup flour
4 eggs

Preheat oven to 450. Combine the water, butter & salt & bring to a boil. Remove from the heat & add the flour all at once. Stir vigorously until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan & forms a ball around the spoon. If a ball does not form almost immediately, hold the saucepan over low heat & beat briskly a few seconds. Cool slightly.
Add the eggs, 1 at a time & beat until the mixture is smooth & glossy after each addition.
Drop the mixture by rounded tablespoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet, leaving 2" between the puffs to permit spreading.
Bake 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 & bake until no bubbles of fat remain on the surface & the sides of the puffs feel rigid, about 30 minutes longer. Cool. Cut a cap off each puff & fill with pastry cream. (I use whipped cream.) Replace the cap.~~

PASTRY CREAM (about 3 cups)
1/3 cup sugar
3 1/2 TBL cornstarch or 6 TBL flour
6 lightly beaten egg yolks
2 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla

Mix sugar, cornstarch & yolks in a saucepan. Scald the milk & pour it gradually over the egg yolk mixture, stirring rapidly with a wire whisk.
Cook over low heat or in the top of a double boiler, stirring rapidly with the whisk, until the mixture is thickened & smooth. Do not allow to boil. Cool & stir in the vanilla.~~

o

Sounds perfect -- thank you Ginger!!

Janet

o

You're welcome! Hope you like them.

o

I use to make cream puffs with filling of prepared pistachio pudding with whipped cream folded in.

Sue

o

FANTASTIC!!!! Ginger I just got done making these for dessert for tonights Sunday dinner....Which is fresh Ravioli from my Italian Pork store Homemade Marinara (which smells unbelieveable) and nice Italian bread with a big tossed salad! I cant wait for dinner!!!!!!!!!!

PS This recipe is SO EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

With that dinner I don't blame you, Eileen. Could I come over? LOL Glad you liked the cream puffs.

o

Hey anytime you up this way your more than welcome!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here