Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
campbellut

LOOKING for: Peanut Butterfingers - old school recipe

CampbellUT
20 years ago

Hi! I have been searching for this recipe forever and cannot find it. When I was in school, one of our favorite desserts was Peanut Butterfingers. They were three layers--an oat cookie crust, a peanut butter layer and chocolate on top. I remember making this with one of my friends and her mom and we spread the peanut butter layer on top of the cookie as soon as we took it out of the oven then sprinkled chocolate chips over the whole thing, then we waited a few minutes and spreak the chocolate evenly over the cookie. And I keep remembering it being made in a jelly-roll pan instead of a 9x13 pan.

Has anyone seen a recipe like this? Thanks for the help!

Comments (7)

• roselin32
    20 years ago

Try this one-it might be close to what you are looking for:
    Cream together:
    1/2c butter
    1/2c sugar
    1/2c brown sugar
    Blend in:
    1 egg, unbeaten
    1/3c peanut butter
    1/2 tsp soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    Stir i:
    1c flour
    1c rolled oats
    Spread in a greased 9x13" pan. Bake 20-25 minutes at 350°.
    After baking, sprinkle with 1 6oz pk chocolate chips. Let stand 5 minutes.
    Combine
    1/2c sifted conf`. sugar
    1/4c peanut butter
    2-4T evaporated milk
    Spread chocolate evenly. Drizzle with icing mixture.
    Cool and cut into bars.
    RL`

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

Are you sure you didn't put the chocolate chips on the cookie base first? I would think if you put the peanut butter on first, the chocolate chips wouldn't melt.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peanut butter

• CampbellUT
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Well, it was a LONG time ago so I will just have to try these recipes and see how they taste. I may not remember how we made them but I'll never forget how they tasted! Thanks for the help!

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

They do sound good. Let us know if either is similar. Maybe you put it back in the oven for a little while to melt the chocolate if the chocolate really was on top?

• CampbellUT
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Well, I made these yesterday.

I decided to use Roselin's because it had a little bit more peanut butter.

If I didn't pay attention to the texture, the flavors were exactly right. But I remember there was a creamier topping on top--but I have no idea what it was! DH tried it too and he thought it was pretty close, but we both agree that the flavor is the most important so it is a keeper for us. I drizzled the peanut butter frosting on top of the chocolate while it was still warm and pulled a knife across it back and forth--it was beautiful! Very rich tasting and will definitely satisfy a peanut butter craving.

Thanks for all the help!

• roselin32
    20 years ago

So glad to hear you liked them even if they weren't the exact recipe you were looking for. Maybe you can experiment with it a bit and come a lot closer to the one you remember?? If you do, let us know what you came up with.
    RL`

• anna280
    17 years ago

I found a recipe that is suppose to be the same and its simple, but the school used shredded, dehydrated sweet potatoes. To my knowledge you cant get them anymore. That's why they dont taste the same.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!