Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Cheesecake recipe (softer, creamier than most)

Posted by msrose (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 11, 12 at 12:26

I know this is probably a shot in the dark, but I thought I'd try. I used to go to a family owned Cajun restaurant about 30 years ago and they had their version of cheesecake. They made it in a 9x13 casserole dish and it was softer and creamier than normal cheesecake, kind of like pudding texture. I found a recipe recently that was in a 9x13 and had sour cream added to it, but it still had the same firm texture as cheesecake. Does anyone have a recipe that you think would be the one I'm talking about?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Cheesecake recipe (softer, creamier than most)

Look for recipes that use fewer eggs in proportion to the cream cheese (or Neufch�tel or ricotta or whatever "cheese" ingredient you're using) and very little or no flour. Eggs and flour are thickening and binding agents that will give a firmer texture. Also, try adding (or increasing the amount of) sour cream to the cheesecake mixture. I usually also add a tablespoon or two of fresh lemon juice. If the mixture is predominately cream cheese (and very little liquid), the cheesecake will be very firm when chilled.

Even more important than the specific recipe that you use, DO NOT OVERBAKE! The cheesecake will continue baking after you take it out of the oven, and it will become firmer when it's refrigerated. If you want a soft, creamy cheesecake, the center of the cheesecake should be jiggly when you take it out of the oven. Even the best recipe will be ruined if overbaked.

I've tried a lot of different cheesecake recipes over the years, and have gotten great results with nearly all of them. (Of course, I don't select recipes at random. Usually I try recipes that have been recommended to me or that come from serious cooks.) Unlike regular cake recipes which need to be followed precisely, cheesecake recipes are very forgiving. You have some leeway to adjust the quantities of the ingredients, as long as you don't make drastic changes.

One last tip -- I always use Neufchatel instead of cream cheese these days because it has 1/3 less fat than cream cheese. It often has fewer additives than cream cheese, which almost always have stabilizers added. I'm very fussy about ingredients, but I can't tell the difference in cheesecake. Don't use whipped cream cheese, though, because the quantities wouldn't be comparable.

Here is a link that might be useful: How long to bake cheesecake

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here