Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Apple Brown Betty & a great topping

Posted by rider (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 9:20

Hi all!

My dad recently came home from the hospital (had his shoulder replaced) and he requested a favorite dessert that his mother used to make: Apple Brown Betty. I don't have the recipe but found one that looks great from allrecipes.com.

One thing he did say was that the topping (crust) was really good, on the crunchy side I think. The allrecipes recipe doesn't indicate much about the topping though and I haven't tried it as of yet.

Any input would be great! Rider :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Apple Brown Betty & a great topping

By the way, this is the recipe I found at allrecipes @
http://pie.allrecipes.com/az/AppleBetty.asp :

APPLE BETTY
(Submitted by: Barbara Milam on allrecipes.com)

4 cups thinly sliced apples
1/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup butter

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9 inch pie plate.

2. Mound sliced apples in the pie plate. Sprinkle with orange juice.

3. In a medium bowl, mix the flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Scatter over the apples.

4 Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Serve warm.

o

Rider check out my reply on the Cooking Forum. If you do a search for "Brown Betty" you'll find loads of recipes. We used to make that in Home Ec class when I was in high school. LOL. The topping was usually just buttered crumbs.

SharonCb

o

That recipe from allrecipes does sound good. This is one I've made & liked. Has maple syrup in it.
APPLE BROWN BETTY (serves 4-6)
1 cup fairly coarse dry bread crumbs
2 TBL butter
2 cups peeled, cored & chopped tart apples divided
1/2 cup maple syrup, divided
Juice & grated zest of 1 lemon divided
1/4 tsp cinnamond, divided
1/9 tsp ground nutmeg, divided
1/2 cup apple cider

In a medium bowl, combine tthe bread crumbs & butter. Sprinkle a few crumbs on the bottom of a 10" pie plate or baking dish. Cover with 1/2 the apples, 1/2 the buttered bread crumbs & 1/2 the maple syrup. Sprinkle with 1/2 the lemon juice, zest, cinnamon & nutmeg. Repeat the laters. Pour the cider over all & bake in a preheated 350 oven for 30 minutes or until the apples are tender.~~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here