Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Quick Fix for Hard Brown Sugar?

Posted by Cremin (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 9, 03 at 18:59

I have half a bag of Brown Sugar. Need it for a recipe. I'll probably just try to crumble it down (for a coffee cake topping so it's okay) but I read where it takes 8-12 hours w/a damp towel over it....any other ideas that are perhaps a bit faster?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Quick Fix for Hard Brown Sugar?

Microwave......covered 1/2 power about 30 seconds....then test and maybe give it more time.
Linda C

o

You can do it in a very low oven, too. 200-250 but watch it carefully.

o

Thanks so much!! :)

o

You can buy a sugar stone which a ceramic tile, that you soak in water and then you keep it inside the package of brown sugar. This will keep it from getting hard, but I not sure if it will soften it.

o

A slice of apple in the bag will soften it, but maybe not soon enough.

o

Microwaving works, but add an apple slice for extra moisture. Note, use the brown sugar when you remove it from the micro, because it will soon harden again.

o

I have foung that by buying real brown sugar instead of the molasses flavored stuff they call brown sugar, the problem of hard sugar solves itself. You have to do some label reading, but its much better to buy the real thing. I usually find it under the Domino label. Just keep it in a zip lock bag in the frig.

o

How about grating it? Might be a lot of work for 1/2 bag but might be able to do part of it if you need it for a recipe.

Lori

o

I stopped buying brown sugar years ago. I buy regular sugar and add molasses. Also, it is easier to work with.

o

Putting a fresh slice of bread in the bag will soften it up in a few hours.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here