Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Apple Pinwheels in Syrup, Oh My

Posted by cookingrvc (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 2, 04 at 16:35

Cindy had posted a recipe for Apple Pinwheels in Syrup a while back. I made a couple of changes, using what I had on hand. They were very good, although the pan may NEVER come clean. DH had it with vanilla ice cream, sis ate them naked.

I used puff pastry instead of pie crust, and only had enough apples for one sheet of pastry. I should have reduced the syrup by half, since these fit into a 8x8 Pyrex and I needed only half the syrup.

Here is the recipe with the changes. It is a rib-sticking dessert, perfect for these cold months.

Sue

Apple Pinwheels in Syrup

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 Sheet Puff pastry
3 Cups Grated apple
2 teaspoons Cinnamon
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon Salt
2 Tablespoons Butter
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
1/2 Cup Warm water

Preheat oven to 400
Roll pastry into 14x12 rectangle
Combine apples and cinnamon, spread over pastry even;y, then roll up from the short side.
Place (swirl side up) in a 8 x 8 pan.
Bake for 20 minutes.

Combine remaining ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a full boil.
Pour over apple pinsheels and retrun to oven for 20 minutes, basting twice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Apple Pinwheels in Syrup, Oh My

Apple Pinwheels made with puff pastry? How decadent is that?! Nice "tweak", Sue!

Lori :-)

o

Sue, next time add a bit of heavy cream to the syrup as well. Makes the sauce even more decadent than it all ready is. I have some puff pastry in the freezer that might just be destined for this. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ann

o

Sue,
Sounds like a good idea! I'll try it that way the next time.
Cindy

o

Ann T,

I did use cream in the syrup! Do you mean add it after it finishes cooking?

Sue

o

Sue, Cindy's original recipe didn't call for cream, but when I made it I substituted a cup of whipping cream. I just noticed that you adjusted the recipe as well.

Ann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here