Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbara52_gw

RECIPE: chocolate mousse cake

barbara52
20 years ago

This is easy and delicious. It is from the magazine Mary Engelbreit's Home Companion.

CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE

serves 8

NOTE: Use the best bittersweet chocolate you can find!

7 ounces bittersweet chocolate

1 stick unsalted butter, plus some for greasing the pan

3 eggs, at room temp

2 TBS flour

2/3 cup sugar

optional (for garnish):

powdered sugar

freshly whipped cream

shaved chocolate

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 9x5x3 loaf pan (I use a pyrex one) and set aside. Warm about 4 cups of water and keep handy for a bain-marie (water bath).

Melt chocolate, butter, plus 2 tsp water in a double boiler. Remove and let cool briefly. NOTE: I was very wary of adding the water to the chocolate mixture -- thought this was taboo. But I checked with a friend of mine who is a professional pastry chef, and she assured me it would be all right, and it was.

With an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat eggs, flour, and sugar until light and pale colored. Add melted chocolate mixture and blend well. Mixture will be runny.

Pour batter into buttered loaf pan and place pan in a rectangular glass or ceramic baking dish. Place in oven and carefully pour warm water into the baking dish to a depth of one inch.

Check cake after 30 minutes. If it's getting too "done" on top, tent w/aluminum foil for the last 10 minutes of baking time (40 minutes total). The top will be crunchy but the inside will be very moist.

Remove loaf pan from bain-marie and place on a rack to cool slightly before serving. Can also be served at room temp.

Serve directly from the pan, cutting the cake into slices.

If you like you can sprinkle the top w/powdered sugar, and/or garnish w/whipped cream and shaved chocolate.

This is really quite scrumptious! The best thing is that it isn't a fussy recipe, and uses ingredients you're likely to have on hand.

Comments (11)

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

Sounds great! Does it rise & then fall?

• barbara52
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Ginger, it never rises very high, then it does fall just a bit. It will develop a few "cracks" in the top as it bakes, and be slightly crunch/crusty on top and delightfully soft/dense/gooey inside. It is so good!!

BTW, do you ever get over to Virgin Gorda? We vacationed there a couple of times and thought it was Paradise.

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

It's been a while but yes. Love the Baths except the last time I went on this boat & they anchored waaaaay out in deep blue water & I don't swim. Had to get to shore on a swimming raft. Deep water scares the begeebers out of me.

• barbara52
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I LOVE the Baths! The second time we went there we rented a villa quite close by. Heavenly! Did you get to Mad Dog's? We practically lived on their BLT's and pina coladas, and loved the friendly, informal atmosphere there. When we told Mad Dog (Colin) that we were leaving the next morning and asked what time he opened, he said "What time do you want us to open?" Incredible!

Too bad you aren't a swimmer. I'm not a great swimmer, but I do love the snorkeling there.

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

Didn't get to Mad Dog's but I'll keep it in mind next time I get a chance to go. I can't tell you the number of years I'd taken swimming lessons. Such a waste not being able to swim. I can float but never got the hang of turning my head to breathe & I'm deathly afraid of water when I can't see the bottom. I'm a great wader, though. LOL

• becky_ca
    20 years ago

I made this last night, and it was definitely a hit! I've made other cakes similiar to this, but this one was nice since it made a smaller one. Very easy - I used the chocolate chips I had in the cabinet since I'd already been to the store and it was excellent. Thanks for sharing :-)

• debbie814
    18 years ago

Hi Barbara,

I want to make this cake to serve 16. Do you think I could double your recipe with success?

• ann_t
    18 years ago

Barbara, this cake sounds amazing. Adding yet another recipe to my got to try soon list. Thanks.

Ann

• barbara52
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Debbie, Hope I'm not chiming in too late... have been busy with an upcoming move and not spending too much time at the computer these days.
    If I were doubling the recipe, I'd divide the batter between two pans, instead of putting it all into one big pan. Hope this helps!
    Barbara

• debbie814
    18 years ago

Good luck on your upcoming move Barb. This cake does sound like a hit. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

• lori316
    18 years ago

I made this on Sunday night and everybody loved it.

Simple , rich, and delicious.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz