Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Authentic Lebkuchen - question

Posted by Cindy_5ny (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 1, 05 at 16:02

I received a gift from Austria - a tin of large Lebkuchen - they are delicious! There is a layer of "crunchy paper" on the bottom of each cookie. Is this edible or should it be peeled off?

Thanks,
Cindy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Authentic Lebkuchen - question

I suspect it is parchment that was on the baking sheet. I would peel it off.
Linda C

o

Thanks Linda - it's not parchment, it breaks rather easily and the topping of the cookie is sort of wrapped around the edges of it. It's probably edible, but for me it takes away from the enjoyment of the cookie - I don't want to be eating a "paper" kind of thing on the bottom! :)

Cindy

o

Parchment that has been in the oven becomes brittle and very crispy,,,peel it off. LOL!
Linda C

o

Alrighty then!

o

I think the "papery thing" is rice paper, which is completely edible! Don't mean to bring any religion into this discussion....but this is also what you get when you take communion in church.

I have bought European almond macaroons that have the same that you found in Lebkuchen cookies.

They sell it at "Food-Crafter's Supply Catalogue" (cooking & baking supplies). You can see it here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Rice Paper

o

It is edible and part of the cookies-they use that in all of their Lebkuchen. The name escapes me at the moment but I brought some back when we lived there for just that reason.
RL`

o
RE: LOOKING for: Authentic` Lebkuchen - question

They are German baking wafers called "oblaten". The cookie dough spreads out and covers them.

o

Thanks everyone - makes me feel better to know it's edible, but it still feels strange to be eating it LOL.
Cindy

o

Cindy I have in front of me a lovely metal painted biscuit tin which contained German Lebkuchen from Nrnberg. It's so attractive I use it as a decorative item. The label is still on the bottom of the tin describing the ingredients in German and English. The white wafer on the bottom of this lebkuchen is described as being made of 'wheat flour, starch, water'.

I had also thought it was rice paper on the bottom and had a discussion with our German friend who gave us this tin of lebkuchen at the time. He insisted that the oblaten wafer was being made in Germany many years before rice was seen or available in that part of the world. Of course it is meant to be eaten along with the gingerbread on top.

SharonCb

o

Sharon, I was wrong - mine are also from Nrnberg. Here is a pic of my tin (which I will also keep). Thanks for the info.

I also looked up some history about Lebkuchen and it says "The use of wafers for Lebkuchen may indicate monasteries as their origin."

All I know is that they are wonderful! Thanks again everyone.

Cindy

o

Glad to hear you are enjoying them-I always did too. Now I make something similar but not the same. If you have a German store close by or one that sells German items during the Christmas holidays, chances are they will carry these.
RL`

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here