Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Cranberry Upside-Down Cake (pic)

Posted by barbara52 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 28, 04 at 12:47

This is a recipe from the Dec. 2002 issue of Country Home magazine. It is adapted from The Olives Dessert Table. (Olives is Todd English's superb restaurant in Charlestown, Mass.)

CRANBERRY UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE (8 servings)

1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
1/4 cup unsaled butter, softened
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chopped, toasted pecans
2 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
2 tsp. finely shredded orange peel
Sweetened whipped cream, if desired

Grease and lightly flour a 9" X 1 1/2" round cake pan. Line bottom with parchment paper; grease paper. Set aside.

In a medium bowl beat 1/4 cup butter, the 1/3 cup brown sugar, and the granulated sugar with an electric mixer on low to medium speed until well combined. Spread on bottom of prepared pan. Press cranberries into mixture. (NOTE: if using frozen cranberries, do not defrost before adding to recipe.)

Place 1/4 cup butter and the 1/2 cup brown sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well and scraping down bowl after each addition. (Mixture will have a curdled look.) Add flour, baking powder, and salt; mix until just combined. Fold in pecans and citrus peels.

Spread batter gently over cranberries. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack 15 minutes. Loosen cake from pan; invert onto plate. Remove parchment paper. Serve warm or at room temperature, with sweetened whipped cream, if desired.

I found that the taste improves the second day!

Here's what it looks like:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Cranberry Upside-Down Cake (pic)

Barbara, Sounds great and looks even better. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Ann

o

This looks so good. I will be saving this recipe. I have some cranberries in the frezzer but we are on a south beach diet so we can't have it right now.
Ilene

o

This cake is fabulous! However, there were several glitches in the recipe. The instructions didn't tell when to add the milk and vanilla. The 2nd amount of brown sugar (1/2 cup) isn't in the ingredient list. And the cranberry instrux are confusing. It says to use fresh OR frozen crans, and if using frozen ones, not to defrost before adding to recipe. I used fresh AND frozen crans, so wasn't sure whether to defrost. I partially defrosted them, and that seemed to work fine. So, lots of wondering, but it was finally worth it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here