Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mboston_gw

RECIPE: German Chocolate Cake

mboston_gw
16 years ago

My DH loves this cake and the only perosn who I know that makes it from scratch doesn't measure anything when she bakes it. I tried the recipe she gave me with her estimates but it didn't come out right.

Does anyone have one that is tried and true? DH's birthday was Friday but he had minor surgery on Thursday so we postponed his celebration.

I would need the icing recipe too.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• khandi
    16 years ago

This one is not tried and true, but looks good! It's from the show Sugar on Food Network Canada.

Here is a link that might be useful: German Chocolate Cake

• khandi
    16 years ago

Here's a recipe from Betty Crocker cookbook.

German Chocolate Cake

(Betty Crocker)

½ cup boiling water
    1 bar (4 ounces) sweet cooking chocolate
    2 cups sugar
    1 cup butter or margarine, softened
    4 egg yolks
    1 tsp vanilla
    2½ cups cake flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    1 cup buttermilk
    4 egg whites, stiffly beaten
    Coconut-Pecan Frosting (below)

Heat oven to 350F. Grease 2 square pans, 8x8 inches or 9x9 inches, or 3 round layer pans, 8 or 9 inches. Line bottoms of pans with waxed paper.

Pour boiling water on chocolate in small bowl, stirring until chocolate is melted; cool. Beat egg whites until stiff.

Mix sugar and butter in large mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time. Beat in chocolate and vanilla on low speed. Mix in flour, baking soda and salt alternately with buttermilk, beating after each addition until batter is smooth. Fold in egg whites. Divide batter among pans.

Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes for 8-inch square layers, 40 to 45 minutes for 9-inch square layers, 35 to 40 minutes for 8-inch round layers, 30 to 35 minutes for 9-inch round layers. Cool. Fill layers and frost top of cake with Coconut-Pecan Frosting.

Coconut-Pecan Frosting

1 cup sugar
    1 cup evaporated milk
    ½ cup butter
    3 egg yolks
    1 tsp vanilla
    1-1/3 cups flaked coconut
    1 cup chopped pecans

Mix sugar, milk, butter, egg yolks and vanilla in 1-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 12 minutes. Stir in coconut and pecans. Beat until frosting is of spreading consistency.

• mboston_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks!

• snowball
    15 years ago

not a recipe but a question
    My sister in Law has mentioned several times that she is having a problem with her german choc cake uses the recipe on the back of the chocolate (german). For years it did great then it started falling. She has tried many things and it still falls. Any idea of the problem? I want to try and make it for her but don't want it to fall. I'm thinking that she makes it in a oblong pan but not sure of that and she frosts it with 7 min frosting not sure why I love the coconut/pecan frosting
    Sheila