Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginger_st_thomas

RECIPE: Might as well go with a smile on your face!

ginger_st_thomas
20 years ago

RICH CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE (serves 10-12)

1 1/2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs

1/4 tsp nutmeg

1/2 cup butter, melted

Two 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened

3/4 cup sugar

3 eggs

8 oz sour cream

Six (1 oz) squares semisweet chocolate, melted

1 TBL + 3/4 tsp cocoa

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped

Garnishes: additional whipped cream, sliced almonds, chocolate curls

Combine first 3 ingredients, mixing well. Press mixture into bottom of a 9" springform pan; chill. Beat cream cheese until light & fluffy; gradually add sugar, mixing well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in sour cream, melted chocolate, cocoa & vanilla; mix well. Gently fold in whipped cream; spoon into prepared pan. Bake in a preheated 300° oven for 1 hour. Turn off oven; allow cheesecake to cool in oven 30 minutes. Open door & allow cheesecake to cool in oven an additional 30 minutes. Refrigerate 8 hours. Remove sides of springform pan & garnish, if desired. Can be frozen.~~

From Food for Thought.

Comments (15)

• barbara52
    20 years ago

Ginger, I'm thinking of making this to take to my book group meeting on Monday. It sounds delicious. Have you made it? Is it tricky? I need something sure-fire! ;-)

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I didn't find it tricky at all. If you make it, let me know what you think. It's really rich.

• barbara52
    20 years ago

OK, I'm going to try it! Thought I'd do the crust tonight and do the filling tomorrow, as I have to bring it somewhere fairly early Monday morning, BUT first:

Wondering if I should grease the springform before patting the crumb-crust into it??????????

If I don't hear from you, I'll try a light greasing.

BTW, no chocolate wafers available here, but I'm using coconut-flavored biscuits as a sub. Fingers crossed.......

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I didn't grease the pan bottom first. The butter in the crust will be enough. The coconut biscuits should be great with it. Hope you like it.

• barbara52
    20 years ago

Wow, Ginger, I almost feel like you're right here with me, you answered so quickly!

Thanks, I'll report back on Monday.

• barbara52
    20 years ago

Ginger, just getting around to doing the crust now. Another probably silly question, but just in case you're up and able to answer:
    Should I take the directions literally and only put the crumbs on the bottom of the pan, and not go up the sides at all? If so, I assume the filling will be firm enough not to "fall" when the pan is opened after cooking, cooling and refrigerating? I guess once I get the crumb mixture all mixed up it might be obvious from the quantity whether it should just go on the bottom vs bottom and sides.
    Just wondering because I'm a cheesecake novice.

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I just put it on the bottom. The cheesecake firms up after being refrigerated.

• roselin32
    20 years ago

Ginger, it's that extra dab of whipping cream that puts a smile on my face!!
    RL`

• barbara52
    20 years ago

Speaking of that extra whipping cream...
    Guess I didn't get the whipped cream thoroughly folded into the batter (didn't want to overdo it and lose volume), resulting in a few white "blobs" on the surface of the cheesecake after it was cooked. So, I plan to do up some more whipped cream tomorrow morning and apply a thin layer to the top. No one will ever know! And I'll put some chocolate shavings on as well.

I used the coconut biscuit crumbs for the crust and added about a tablespoon of cocoa powder. It seems like it worked out well, but the proof is in the tasting. Will post an update tomorrow.

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I'm sure it will be fine.

• barbara52
    20 years ago

It was a big hit! Thanks Ginger, I'll definitely make this again.

{{gwi:1496157}}

• VickiV
    19 years ago

Oh my goodness gracious! This is a good cheesecake! My family has renamed it Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake because the folded-in whipped cream really lightened it up. I simplified the baking by: wrap the outside of the pan in aluminum foil. In a water bath, bake at 325F until sides are set, but it is still slightly "jiggly" in the center, 55 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven to cool on wire rack. Immediately, run a knife around the edge to loosen the cake from the sides (this will prevent the cake from cracking as it cools). Cool on rack for 30 minutes. Loosely cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate for 8 hours (overnight is best), plate and serve.

I have added this to my list of cheesecakes to die for! Thank you Ginger for the post.

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Glad you liked it. I've never tried freezing it but I think that's what I'll do next time. Even though it is made ahead of time, when I have guests my refrigerator is usually crammed with everything else.

• VickiV
    19 years ago

Ginger, I'm going to have to freeze some to keep out of it! It shouldn't be a problem, after all they are sold in the freezer case. I'll let you know how the freezing experiment works.

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yes, you're right but of course, I'd also have to try to find room in my freezer! I'd love to get one of those little chest freezers.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County