Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goostergw

Trying to successfully mix stair runners and area rugs

Gooster
9 years ago

I'm looking (again, sorry) for feedback on how to successfully mix stair runners and area rugs. Our current runner is wearing on the leading edge and we'd like to update it with a less traditional pattern. Thus, I've been looking at patterned broadloom as well as non-oriental transitional runners. (Editorial: great products in the UK, far and few between in the US). I tend to like rugs down the main hall and entry to help preserve wear -- and runner up the stairs for safety (and the dog). Also due to the darling prince, we can't have any loops in the carpet (nail snags).

With all the odd shapes I'm left with:

1. Doing custom rugs from patterned broadloom
2. Combining runner or broadloom with pre-made runners and rugs.

Oh, and we're bucking the trend and moving monochromatic here. Thus the degree of difficulty rises, I think.

Thus, to combine the patterns as in 2 I'm thinking I must stay in the same tones and then watch my patterns carefully. I'm looking at examples in Houzz and they are far and few between. (Usually a sign you should not be doing something, hence, I am checking here).

Thus in the photo below, I think to use D I must select a rug that either plays off the ovals or something like a large format print or even a stripe (playing off the lines). What I should avoid is another geometric. (Other choices are broadlooms that we might use). Am I off base?

{{gwi:2142735}}

Comments (8)

• amykath
    9 years ago

I love D. Will the lighter edges get dirty though? If that is not a concern, I really like it.

You could use a rug such as this. It is patterned but I love it. It would go with D as well.

• Gooster
    Original Author
    9 years ago

aktillery: I don't think the lighter edges will be an issue. The existing runners have ivory edges and they are staying fine -- advantages of a more urban enviornment, I guess.

That's a beautiful rug. Do you mean with the runner? I was thinking of a print to coordinate with the runner, to mix things up. Attached is an example -- I don't know if the colors coordinate IRL, though....

The manufacturer also has some complementary patterned broadlooms that could be mixed with the runner border to create area rugs.... but the price starts to escalate a lot.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I see. The rug you have posted will compliment it well. I would definitely want to see it in person to ensure the beige is not pinkish. You never know with monitors!

• Gooster
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, definitely -- on guard vs. pinky beiges. That is the challenge with mixing and matching. Lots of samples that need to be ordered. The easy way out would be to get the runner cut and capped into runners and area rugs. Or, getting a regular runner chopped and pieced together as stair runner.

Maybe something that plays up the circles instead...

• amykath
    9 years ago

That one is gorgeous!

• chestnut3
    9 years ago

I like A and D. Could you use D on the stairs and A for the area rugs?
    But I like the one Aktillery posted the most. Could you both please share the manufacturer and style of these rugs?
    I agree with you about looking on Houzz. Many of them are sisal and that is a look that I like but won't work in my house.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Chestnut, I found it at Homedecorators.com

Here is the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rugs

• Gooster
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Chestnut "A" is broadloom by Shaw Tigress, marketed under a bunch of names like Sudbury . "D" is Stanton Atelier Barrett. Both are nylon.

I went shopping again yesterday and I'm thinking "D" will be it, but I still need to find area rugs. I am drawn to the one Arktillery posted as well, it may go with the runner and add enough interest (the online reviews are so-so). My concern with the Dec 12 15:20 rug is that it may be too plain (Surya, Candice Olsen collection, wool). I feel like if I did that I may need to add some wallpaper to the staircase to liven things up a bit.

Here's another (on the busy side, suzani) :

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths