Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

My Narcissus Aren't as Fragrant as Last Year's

User
9 years ago

I have been forcing bulbs for about three and a half weeks and now have five pots of single bulb paperwhites and a few doubles and triples in larger pots. Some are loaded with blossoms and others are just barely showing the white flowers but none of them have much fragrance. I bought them from the same great nursery used did last year and pretty much duplicated last year's growing conditions.

Anyone else having this trouble, are your bulbs not producing the lovely scent they used to? Visually they're good, just missing one of the most important components!

Comments (8)

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I'd love to find some that weren't fragrant because the scent is lovely but overwhelming to me.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's my mother's position, Olychick, she loves the scent but it is overwhelming to her and she can't have any in her room or in the dining room for meals, or even just one in the library if she is there. I don't think it will be a problem this year :-(. I've actually wondered if the plants were being bred for decreased fragrance to increase sales. I'm really disappointed, (I am one of those people who find the smell of lilies the nicest part of a funeral.)

I have three pots of amaryllis bulbs this year and none has flowered yet but they look very strong and healthy. I'm hoping for blooms next week. And this year I purchased two additional bulbs coated with wax with a metal ring on the bottom so they'll stand up without needing a vase, and these are the loveliest amaryllis I've ever grown. I say grown, but the wax coated bulbs do not need water and we are now on our second set of blooms since the week before Thanksgiving! I don't remember how much they cost, I bought them at Lowe's, of all places. And they sold out very quickly; I went back to get more but there were none. Even though I have all manner of vases and containers, I love the simplicity of the wax coated bulb, and the fact that it is a pretty red wax adds to the look, Imo.

Next year I may get paper whites from the florist already grown, and just do these coated bulbs.....I am certainly getting LAZY! I used to do masses of these in inexpensive glass containers and give them away to anyone who came to the house during Christmas. The coated bulbs would be a lovely present, although probably too expensive to give away like Halloween candy.

• Hogette-gw
    9 years ago

Just checked mine, absolutely different than years past. Bought them at the nursery as well, and I can barely detect any fragrance from them. Not sure if I am disappointed or not, because it can get a bit overwhelming. Usually there is seven or more in one container, this year I only made two containers, that many could get rather intense, so possibly this is better?

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The scent is part of my Christmas memories and I hate losing that. Maybe next year someone will Have bred an extra heavy scented variety for the likes of people like me
    O

• deegw
    9 years ago

i love the look of narcissus. I'm not crazy about the fragrance but I tolerate it because they are so pretty. DH and my girls hate the smell so I don't bother buying bulbs anymore. I may run to the store and try them again.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

Yes, my local nursery is carrying a less scented narcissus this year. I am thrilled! They are quite nauseous to me if I have multiples in the house.

It is my understanding that you may still purchase the old variety.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

I only grow them outside in the ground, they naturalize here; I have many blooming or ready to bloom and the smell is.....so bad that I only grow them by the street ;-) I bet that the lack of scent is intentional.

• porkandham
    9 years ago

DH would be thrilled! He hates the way they smell. Maybe I can try them again now that there is a less fragrant variety.