Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Annie, need a WT consult

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

I wasn't sure if it was hijacking to post this on your thread.

But there are two photos form your post that are a little like what I want to do in my DR at the ocean.

Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 23:02

and

Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 11:56

Here is the DR again (furniture stays, all else to be determined). Do you think this style will work? The alcove will be spanned by a window seat, so the WT cannot go to the floor in that area... I want as little view obstruction as possible.

{{!gwi}}

Thanks in advance ... oh Window Treatment Whisperer. : )

Comments (52)

• ppbenn
    10 years ago

Oh Oh Oh can I try?!
    I know you asked for Annie and she has given the most logical solution...
    I would add crown (wide) to the room and mount the WT just under the crown. Then on the end wall I would do the panels to the outside, corners only. Same for the bay windows. Fullish panels to the floor on each side of the window seat.
    Not sure about the valences. Totally depends on the fabrics you choose. But my knee-jerk is no. But I would make all fabric the same.
    What are you thinking for fabric?

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

I'm with Pal. Think of other options for bringing in color/pattern.Those wonderful side windows deserve their own showcase.

Do you ever shorten the table and have less chairs? The room is large enough to add a small seating area in front of the fireplace if the table is smaller and moved in front of the breakfront. They could be chairs for moving to the head of the table when open. Or plenty of dinner parties at your end needing to keep the table current status?

Know you love patterns and always enjoy your evolution of home.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie,
    Good points, of course. Divide and conquer with two styles of WT. I really liked the rods near the ceiling as in one of your pics above. But I suppose I can't do that with roman shades, so I can't do it on the other window, either...

Pal,
    I would love not to use WT, both to save me a a boatload of money, and to save every inch of the ocean view. But I thought I needed them to help define the windows? If not, good riddance!
    So, knowing that this room leads from the LR (separated only by pocket doors which I doubt we will close), what would you do with the wall color? I thought of taking the blue color from the LR wallpaper, and using the cream on the woodwork. Then upholstering the chairs in those linen skirts with ties (that can be taken off, bleached and washed), and doing the window seat and pillows in blue and white Quadrille fabrics. Thoughts?

LOL, PBenn, of course. I don't think I would add crown tot this room, as it is a 1906 house and the molding is all original. I think more crown will make it look 2010. As for valances, I only like them in very light fabrics, sheers even. I feel that heavy fabric in a short valance looks unbalanced. In re fabrics, I seem totally stuck on the fabrics from Quadrille. Having ruined thousands of dollars in pillows with the sunlight in a WT-free room here in my primary home, (it's an octagon with windows seats on 5 sides and lots of pillows) I am strongly considering outdoor fabrics for the windowseat.

Techincolor,
    We just bought this house and were in it just one weekend before reno started. However, the room is deceiving you ... it's not wide enough for what you suggest. And, from experience at our lakehouse, I can tell you we like big long tables for guests, games, reading the paper, etc.

Here is my rough layout sketch:
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: for sun protection in the windowseat

• mdrive
    10 years ago

i think i agree with PAL ...the view and woodwork and windows themselves are just stunning....adding fabric seems to be gilding the lily...

using sunbrella type fabric on your window seats is an excellent idea ...if it felt needful to have *some* type of window covering on occasion, i think i would go with roman shades or bamboo blinds kept fully open 99% of the time

ps...i'm assuming the lattice work outside will be going once the bay window is installed? it seems to be blocking the beautiful view!

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Absolutely just skip the window treatments! Once the window seat is in and 'dressed' you will be bringing some extra attention to the windows, and you'll also do that by keeping the trim white and painting the walls a color (I didn't see your post about wallpaper in the living room, so I don't have color suggestions).

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Desert,

I am so glad, since WT-free is my typical style. I do like the look of bamboo, but can I put them them up above the glass, without any WT to hide the sides?

PS. We aren't installing anything. The "bay" or I guess alcove, already exists. I couldn't get the whole thing in the photo, but you see it on the floorplan. The only thing being built is a windowseat.

As for the lattice, you don't really see it when you are at the DR table, because you are looking straight out, the ocean is directly in front of you. (As depicted in my blue mark up below).

I think the PO put up the lattice for privacy vis a vis the neighbor to the North. However, I think it is very silly as the neighbor is quite far away and their house is lovely and quiet. Also, the house is pretty far away and set back (you can see their roof in the window all the way to the far left, in the DR shot below). And, even though the lattice on our verandah does not block the ocean view directly in front, given the curvature of the coast, the lattice does "block" some of the oceanview to the left when you are sitting on the verandah.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 18:19

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Another who votes for no window treatments. Use a lovely fabric elsewhere. I would vote a loud no to valances - just not a fan.

You have beautiful windows and molding - I would play that up.

tina

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I notice there's no ceiling light over the table. Choosing the right one (perhaps with fabric shades) would provide the softening of the room that you feel you need. In my little lake house I chose to put no wt but did put aged shutters on the two sides at the ends of the strip of windows. They're chippy faded french blue. That little detail is what people are drawn to the most. The soft color transitions the eye from the shutters to the water as the colors are so similar.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yaya, that sounds wonderful! Too bad I don't have room for it. I think it might also be too informal for the house. I did do something like that for my middle daughter's nursery. It had shutters on the inside of the windows, and it also had windowboxes. The windowboxes were filled with stuffed animals! great fun

As for the lighting, yes, we are putting in a chandy of somesort. I bored everyone with a long post on that about a month or so ago! Final decision making on that once I have chosen the LR and DR decor

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I tend to think the country is lacking in good window treatments but this is a house where I would skip them.

I might be tempted to put a simple roller blind on each window that I could pull down at night if I were feeling particularly spied upon.

As for the wall space, I would probably lacquer them to emphasize the windows themselves. Expensive done correctly, but you don't have a lot of wall space to work with

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gorgeous room. But will laqcuer be too formal with a windowseat?

ANd how do you touch up lacquer? I have clay walls here in CT and I have learned the hard way that if you get too cute with your walls (it was a custom off white clay), touch up can be impossible.

I also wonder if my GC knows how to do this!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Quick google search just ruled out lacquer I think

1. solvent odor. I want low VOC
    2. Not recommended on existing walls better on new drywall
    3. Will show cracks from settlement

• mdrive
    10 years ago

mtn...i misspoke...i meant the window seat...as to the idea of natural blinds...original thought was to do an inside mount and make them as unobtrusive as possible, but studying your window framing, it may not work, so i would still vote for no window coverings...(i would at least check with your local drapery/blind company to see if an inside mount would work though)

for me the view is always the thing to accentuate, and you have such a beautiful view...the room isn't small, but doesn't look overly large either and i do wonder if window treatments would seem like 'too much' (especially considering the decor elements that you will eventually incorporate into your room design)...i would also consider using white bamboo or white roman shades (to avoid the 'valence' look)

and i would consider losing the lattice...to my eye, looking through the windows, it looks 'busy' and sort of interrupts the 'flow' of your lovely bay windows...bottom line is i would not be in a hurry to have WT (like drapes) made....you can always add them later, if after the room is 'finished' you still think you need to add something to soften the look...i think it is just beautiful naked though! -vbg

Here is a link that might be useful: [inside mount bamboo looks[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/bamboo-shades-phbr0lbl-bl~l_1330)

• roarah
    10 years ago

I have always loved this dining room accent wall color. Maybe have a color matched to the blue in your lovely LR paper.
    I can not wait to see your finished home! I am so glad you have stewardship of this lovely property. I know you will do it right! BTW thanks for saving the dark wood work! I loved your mock up! The wood work comes alive in your vision!

[Traditional Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2107) by Southport Architects & Designers Austin Patterson Disston Architects

• SunnyCottage
    10 years ago

I'd be inclined to go with simple cafe sheers in the same shade as your wall color. You'd still have your lovely view out the top portion of the windows, but the fabric would provide a more cozy feel to the room IMO.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

While I'm not a fan of no treatments, less is more in this case. Putting the full length drapes up to the ceiling I think will become overwhelming only because there are so many windows which is why I prefer treating the windows differently.

Perhaps leave the windows untreated by the buffet and add printed fabric shades in the bay.

• peony4
    10 years ago

With a window seat/fabric cushion, perhaps consider black window panes (sans curtains). I've been considering this for french doors over which I do not want curtains... but which need "something." Black panes tend to frame the view.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Farrow and Ball's Brilliant finish is waterborne, not solvent borne so the appearance of high sheen is possible without solvents.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

I've used this sheer treatment(top/bottom rods)in my kitchen eating area with a black/gold/ivory formal sort of valance. It gives privacy but still allows a visual of the view.

Here is a link that might be useful: sheers

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

I a curious now, is the gold color I see on the walls your new color or is the white I see in the other photos.
    Will you be spending the holidays up in maine.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lyban,
    The walls are white from the PO, it's the camera. AS for spending the holidays in Maine, this year we are going to Jackson Hole for a week after Christmas. In the future,
    I don't know. We have traditionally spent holidays in our lakehouse, and this house replaces the lakehouse, the sale of which is due to close tomorrow. But at the lake we would sled, xcountry ski, or downhill ski nearby. Not sure what we'd due in Southern Maine in offseason.

Patty, We don't need any privacy. But i like those sheers you posted. IN my first apt I got things like that from Rue De France, which no longer exists. Are yours custom?

Hmm, Pal, you know I am a sucker for Farrow and Ball. What color?

Peony, You must mean muntins, no? Panes are the glass part. Our DR here in CT in almost all windows, and we used Hampshire Grey for the muntins, to make the windows recede. I agree that darker muntins can enhance the view. But bad 80s colonial decor has killed off bleu woodwork IMHO, and I am staying w blue and white.

Annie, I think your last iteration is right. If I do anything, prob just on the windowseat side, and roman shades. I can decide that when it's done.

Sunny, that may be too casual?

Roarah, What kind words. Thank you!

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Yes they are, from a local 'work room', no formal show room. I knew exactly what I wanted and choosing fabric was easy, just a semi-sheer with a slight texture in an off-white. A sheer linen would also be good.

I used the same treatment in my condo in Ca, more for privacy, but needed the light since it was a dark room. With the top portion of the window uncovered, I didn't need lights on in the daytime anymore. I used the sheers with 12' ceiling to floor panels.

• bananafana
    10 years ago

Might you like old-timey creamy paper roller shades mounted at the bottom of the window? They pull up in the center with a thin rope mounted to a locking pulley at the top. It's such an awesome old fashioned look.

I can't find Ralph Lauren's New Bohemian online anymore, but he did it in the bedroom and it was great. I've done it with cream-colored thick linen-y paper shades. Also with paper-bag colored nice paper.

Or mounted at the top with a crocheted dropped ring pull. It's a super old fashioned "original" look that I can't resist.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Cook's,
    Stone
    or Stiffkey

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i would leave the windows bare!! i would not want to block my ocean view at all!! that is window dressing enough! :)
    it looks quite private, but then again, i don't feel the need for a lot ofprivacy in the dining room... i would probably only consider any type of WT if i needed sunight control...
    if i hung panels, i would definitely want them to go to the floor- you could use roman shades, but they look best, imo, if they're not drawn up too far ...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Patty cakes.

Banana, Sounds wonderful. Do you have any pics?

Pal, hmm ... maybe Cook's Blue.

Busy, thank you. It is totally private, i would only use WT for decorating purposes. The sun is only strong at sunrise, a little seen time of day for us.

• ratherbesewing
    10 years ago

I know you said you don't need privacy or sun control, but considering this isn't an everyday home, I prefer to close blinds when I leave the house for an extended period. In any case, your mockup with panels on the windows and window seat feels a bit too fussy (formal) for a weekend home. Or, if you are like me, I have been known to thumbtack fabric to the top of the window trim to simulate the look of a panel. Mockups don't always give the entire story. Thanks for the photos--I love seeing your home!

• massagerocks
    10 years ago

i'm a non-decorator, but i love decorating and am addicted to this site. So FWIW, from a non-professional pov-to my eye your room will be blessed with beautiful furnishings, fabric,accessories, and outdoor views. What would window treatments add? To my untrained eye, WT would be a waste of fabric, looked "planned", and have no function. I vote for no WT. That said, I've always lived a city life and feel exposed at night in rooms with naked windows. If anything I'd like something like this...the woven blinds are neutral, but remind me of the ocean and nature.

[Transitional Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2112) by Sierra Madre Interior Designers & Decorators Talianko Design Group, LLC

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Maybe if you want to add softness in the room, you might consider translucent inset roman shades....

[Traditional Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2107) by New Providence Interior Designers & Decorators Creative Wallcoverings & Interiors

Or if you want the shades to hang longer but block the window less, you can over mount, hang 'em high (apologies to Sergio Leone) and let just the bottoms skim the top of the window. These shades could be out of a more solid fabric or a print or pattern.

[Traditional Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2107) by Minneapolis Interior Designers & Decorators Herrick Design Group

• User
    10 years ago

I've glanced at the pictures but have not read any replies, so pardon if this hasty post is a duplicate of something already said, suggested and/or rejected.

Long panels at the short end of the room, absolutely. No long panels if they are going only to the window seat to be built in the alcove.

Love the blue painted wall pictured above.... Build the window seat, paint the wall bits of the alcove the blue of the rest of the room but stronger, more saturated, higher gloss, a few shades darker--- something to distinguish it--- and do soft roman shades above the windows in that bank in the same curtain material you use for the long panels. A slightly different/darker color or one that reflects light differently will give depth to the alcove.

I am surprised you are even considering curtains for this room, but I think they will bring another element to a very large, open room that will have mostly wood dining furniture and not much else--- no interest of smaller tables, lamps, pillows, etc. The room itself is a beautiful starting point !

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I'd go without long curtain panels. If you want something, maybe blinds (can you mount them inside?) or valances attached high, so they just skim the window.
    {{!gwi}}

• Janice742
    10 years ago

I vote for naked windows and let your beautiful chandy be your main accent....

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, all.

Since my aesthetic preference is always no WT, and since we do not need WT for privacy or to control light, and since the fabric line I am using (to coordinate with the LR) is not something you want to buy yards and yards of for 9 windows if you don't have to, my current plan is to nix the WT and bring in softness via:

1. upholstery and pillows in the new windowseat
    2. white linen short-skirted slipcovers on the DR chairs

When all of it is done, I will then decide if I need more fabric in the room. The only issue might be continuity. When you come in the front door, you will see the LR on the left, which will be fairly swathed in fabric in an effort to tone done the dark wood paneling. You will also see the DR on the right. For the DR windows to be naked may look odd.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I look odd when I'm naked too, but DH doesn't complain.
    ;)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh no, Annie, not another one of THOSE posts. I got in trouble last time, LOL.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Ha ha ha Annie.
    Mtnrdredux, I'm coming to this late, but I think you've made the right decision. We had a similar situation in our home as I love WTs, but our sunroom/dining room has only roman shades. I'd planned on long panels like you wanted, but after hubby installed the wood trim I couldn't bare to cover it up even a little bit.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I agree with going commando! Your room and house is so beautiful!

Here is a link to a blog. They do not use window treatments in their dining or living and I love it. I am usually a wt kind of gal but sometimes it can be too much. Especially if you have a killer view like you do!

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This isn't exactly about WT, but I wanted to keep it in the same thread to reduce my e-footprint a bit : )

So the dining room is separate but adjoining the LR. In the LR I am using ikat wallpaper and the fabrics shown all the way at the bottom of this post.

For the dining room we need fabric for the windowseat and pillows. I am not sure about the rug in there, or if I will even have one. I plan to have white linen slipcover/skirts on the chairs (short, kwim?) . The chandelier will be the one shown below. I was thinking of one of these choices below for the windowseat. It's about 20" deep, 16 feet long.

DR chandelier (for those who recall the saga with the custom made one, I decided that the size and shape of it really required a higher ceiling to look right). I opted for this, which i've always liked. The shades are optional.

For reference, here are the LivingRoom fabrics, with a sisal rug, ikat wall paper and a fair amount of white duck.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

In order of my preference, 6, then 1, then 2. I'm really not into octopi no matter how intelligent they might be....

• User
    10 years ago

For window seat, #1 then #6. But I have to protest against the curtainless room.... I think long beautiful curtains on white faux bamboo rods against whatever beautiful blue you are painting the room would be completely. fabulous. Really!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

KSWL, I am going to have to reread my own thread to find out why we ended up nixing W/T.

I am finally coming around a tiny but to the need/desirability of W/T in sometimmmmmmes. I ordered them for my breakfast room here in CT, just this morning. Roman shades in this fabric below, which I already already have on the Swedish bench in there. It's a very common fabric but Ive had it on the bench for a year and quite like it.

Geez I am going through a blue phase! Maybe blue is the gateway color for colorphobes ....

• User
    10 years ago

Love that fabric and can't wait to see the shades in your breakfast room... They will finish it with a lovely softness!

The reason I think you need curtains in your Maine house is that the room is crazily proportioned and has so many disparate elements it is a big jumble. Different windows, on the same wall, no regularity to the size or placement of them throughout the room, several woods and all those blue fabrics you're planning to use in pillows and cushions and chair seats may make it even more higgeldy piggledy. You need a unifying principle in that room...maybe yards of unlined white muslin banded in blue grosgrain at the hems and leading edges...if white, hang them on mahogany or walnut finish faux bamboo rods tho. Or swath the room in a toile--- there are plenty of American toiles and you might even find some of whaling ships or clippers, how cool would that be, and use it everywhere, curtains, upholstery, etc. Anyway, I have given my opinion twice so I guess that's my four cents :-)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, KSWL.

As for the W/T ... you may be confusing the LR with the DR?
    Or maybe mixing the two? There are no fabrics in the DR other than what I use on the window seat.

The LR will have WT, and they are an off white muslin type fabric with a very thin, fine, widely spaced, blue stripe. The room has matching windows to either side of the fpl, a french door, and picture window. All will have W/T.

• User
    10 years ago

No I am thinking of the DR... You will have fabric on the window seat cushion, plus whatever upholstery is on the DR chairs, plus pillows on the window seat, right? Not a lot of fabric per se but a lot of different fabrics in a room where nothing repeats architecturally.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ohh, the DR chairs are going to be white linen, the windowseat and pillows will be the same or coordinating.

And I am not sure what you mean about not repeating architecturally? All of the windows are the same in the bay. At one end of the room, two matching windows flank a larger, clerestory window.

If anything, I think W/T could make it LOOK higgledy-piggledly, since they can't all be to the floor?

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    10 years ago

Late to this discussion, but the first thing I thought of was roman shades in a great fabric or bamboo roman shades and fabric panels at either end. If you do roman shades I'd make them the width of the windows plus the trim and hang them up high, like 6" from the ceiling to add height. You could also do roman shades in the bay and panels just on the 2 windows on the other wall and leave the center one bare.

Roman shade like this-

Here's a room with roman and panels, same fabric different treatments,

• User
    10 years ago

Mtn, I am sorry, I thought the windows on either side of the clerestory were different sizes, and also different from the soon to be window seat windows! I did not look very closely, and I'm looking in my phone so they're tiny to begin with. I am all over using all white upholstery and a pretty blue on the walls. Or were you at some point talking about wallpaper? I need to keep up better!

I would still use panels at the far end windows and non closing, decorative panels (to the floor) on each end of the window seat to frame it. I am a dyed in the wool curtain person :-). The truth is that the house has good bones and history and will look good regardless, curtains or no. But I promise not to opine if all I've seen is an iPhone sized picture, lol!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

KSWL, Actually, my main take away KSWL, is that I am glad I am not the only person that checks GW on their iphone!

• User
    10 years ago

I can't believe I admitted it. (insert embarrassed smiley face here)