Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How high from top of vanity to bottom of mirror

Posted by gaw1 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 16, 07 at 23:38

I have a vanity in my powder room: wood with marble top and no back splash. I am getting a mirror made at a frame shop and trying to finalize measurements. I have figured out where the top of the mirror should be.

But how high above the vanity top should the BOTTOM of the mirror be, 4", 6", 7", 9" etc.? Any good rules? Do I need to take into account the height of the faucets?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How high from top of vanity to bottom of mirror

Yes you should take into account the height of the faucets. Normally a mirror would begin above them. (Think of what you want to reflect....lots of plumbing or the viewer?) You want to be low enough that a person who is 5' tall can easily see their entire face and chest. Typically that's going to be right above the faucet.

My powder room mirror is pushing the height limits at 45" above the floor. You don't want people to have to stand on their toes to see their face and chest. Mine is 4" above the faucet (so it's not crowded since mine opens). I'm sitting in a hotel right now and the mirror is right at faucet height (you don't see the faucet reflected in the mirror). I'd say it's about 38" off the floor. It's quite comfortable to use.

My higher mirror is a powder room mirror as well. I did a lot of research on the subject (suprising how much you can find on the internet) and the general concensus was that you should look to the short folks in society and cater to them for the bottom height, and the tall folks for the top height, so that someone 5' tall and someone else 6'4" will both feel comfortable in the room.

o
RE: How high from top of vanity to bottom of mirror

igloochic - Surprisingly, I hadn't considered the functionality of the mirror and its lower height! I was just worried about the space between the vanity top and bottom of mirror. With your ideas, I was able to validate with a 5'1" friend that she could still see in the mirror at the highest height. So thank you for bringing up those points.

In all your research did the recommend a distance between the vanity top/faucet top and bottom of mirror? If you miror did not open, would you have placed it lower?

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here