Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiwigem_gw

Has anyone used BM Frostine?

Kiwigem
9 years ago

Hi,
I'm on the hunt for the great white paint. They should name a white paint "Moby Dick," because finding the right one is nearly as epic as finding the stupid whale.
Anyway, White Dove was too dingy. Simply White was too pinky or something. I've been vacillating between Cotton Balls, Snowfall White, and Frostine. Cotton balls tends to be my favorite just in terms of what calls to me, but Frostine seems to go so well with all the major cabinet manufacturers' soft whites. It seems to have a little more color to it than simply white, so I don't think it should be too stark. Anyone have any first-hand experience?
Thanks!

Comments (6)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Frostine, in large swatches, has a clearly blue-green undertone.

How it looks in your kitchen will depend on your lighting, cabinets, floor and even what's outside your windows.

Your best bet is to get a quart of each of the candidates, paint on LARGE pieces of foamcore or other sturdy board and pin them around the rooms you plan to use. Check them at several times a day, in natural and artificial lighting.

Move them and check some more.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! Yes, that's what I did, re: large sample boards. That's what was throwing me, because the samples and description look quite blue/green, but my painted sample really didn't. Maybe my sample was a little off. Doesn't matter though, as I think I have found an alternative. Thank you!

• jdez
    9 years ago

Kiwi, we used BM Chantilly Lace. It looks like a true white in our house with no obvious undertones. Not to say it doesn't have any but I can't see any. I think a lot of it depends on the colors that are in the room. Knowing that we wouldn't be changing out ALL of our furniture and bedding etc, I took the white paint cards into every room of our old house to see if it still looked white under different types of light and in different colored rooms. Chantilly Lace and one other whose name escapes me at the moment were the only ones that appeared to be white under incandescent, LED and flourescent lights and outside in natural day light. Then, out of the two, I chose the one that most closely matched my white vinyl windows. Very happy with the results. Just my two cents in case you were still having trouble choosing your white trim paint.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jdez! Yes I think the final influence will be our cabinets and tile. Thinking we'll land on Pratt and Lambert Designer White, but who knows. :-)

• Barb Kornbrath
    3 years ago

My niece loves it! She painted the ceilings, walls and trim!