Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monicakm1

Putting Wide Ribbon on a Christmas Tree

monicakm_gw
9 years ago

What's the trick to making it look good? Is it one of those things that "you've either got it or you don't? Or is there a technique that can be learned. I've decided to go for an organic and minimal look this year. The tree came with some snow on it, some ice crystals, pine cones and berries. Frankly it looks good like it is. It could look fancier. I loaded it up last year but I think I'd rather let the natural beauty of the tree be the start this year. I do have some golden tan webbed wide ribbon (organic with a bit of flair) :) that I'd like to put on it (woven in and out of the branches) but I'm just not good at it. So what's the secret? :)
Thanks!
Monica

Comments (9)

• Olychick
    9 years ago

check you tube. Believe it or not, there are several videos about how to decorate your tree using wide ribbon.

• scarlett2001
    9 years ago

How wide is the ribbon in relation to the size of the tree? I have had better luck w/ribbon that is not too wide. The shape of the tree is also a factor. If the tree is tall and skinny, the ribbon winds better than a wide tree.

• terezosa / terriks
    9 years ago

If you are talking about really wide mesh ribbon, about 12 inches wide, here's what I did. I cut it into about 2 to 3 foot lengths. Then I just tucked it into the branches. It has the effect of spiraling around the tree, though it's separate pieces. It's really easy to do this way, and goes up fast.

Here's my tree

{{gwi:2140389}}

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Undulation is the key...you don't want it to go straight around or it'll look like you tied your tree up. Rather you want the ribbon to form graceful curves and shapes as it goes around the tree.

There are a lot of videos and lots of ideas for how to use ribbon on your tree on pinterest too. Some are more formal, others are more casual.

In the old days at work, they used to have many trees around the building all professional decorated. One year, they did them all in red ribbon but each was done in a different pattern. It was really neat.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Terriks....your tree looks lovely. Great idea to cut them into manageable lengths instead of the hassle of going round and round with a single ribbon like you do with the lights.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Measure the circumference of the tree for each layer first, then multiply it by 1.5-2, it before you cut each piece.

So, your first layer of ribbon might be, say, 12- 18" up from the bottom of the tree... How big around is your tree at that point? Let's say it is 5feet. Multiply by 1.5-2 to get some room to swag. Cut a 7-10 foot long length, and play with it.

Then measure the circumference up another 18" or so and do it again.

The exact spacing will be a matter of preference and the size of the tree.

Edited because I posted while waiting in line, using voice recognition software and it was kinda messed up!

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Wed, Dec 10, 14 at 12:23

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

I'm not so precise. I just haphazardly wrap the tree loosely. Starting at the top, working my way down. Then I go back and tuck, fold, bend - undulation (great word!)

You just want to make sure that the tree doesn't look wrapped, that the ribbon doesn't cover too many lights and the tips of branches aren't covered.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I especially like to hang an ornament where the ribbon drapes up and over a branch so the ornament is surround by ribbon on both sides.

{{gwi:2142689}}

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone :) I guess the ribbon is not really wide. It's 2.5" I'll go look on YouTube. terriks, your tree is beautiful :)
    MagdalenaLee, yes! That's how my husband used to do it. We haven't used ribbon in several years (what's wrong with this picture? My husband can put ribbon on a tree better than I can :o )

Monica