Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aurora_sb16_gw

Manchester Tan or Halo? Can you share pictures if you have any?

aurora_sb16
10 years ago

I've been planning on repainting my house in Benjamin Moore's Manchester Tan... It currently is Tabacco Road by duron. Could you please post any pictures of your Manchester Tan if you have it in your home? Or if you have cabinets and wood flooring (which is lighter in person) similar to mine, what paint color have you used? I really love the light almost white farmhouse look but I can only do so much because of the color of my cabinets. I did add a planked wall at my entry and plan to wrap it around the center storage room. I painted the planks "halo" by Benjamin Moore and really love that color too and am wondering if I could get away with that but then it may not work with my carpet.

Comments (25)

• shanghaimom
    10 years ago

Hi there,

I've been a big Manchester Tan fan for many years. Three different houses, many different rooms and different types of lighting, including a basement. This color has yet to fail me--it has no pinky undertones seems to look rich yet light. It works with wood trim, white trim and cream trim. We have hardwood floors in a medium warm tone.

Here it is in a guest bedroom with north-facing windows:

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I love Manchester Tan - have it in all our main areas and our 2nd bath. It is really a great neutral and back drop and also one of those colors that will look like it has an undertone based on what surrounds it, but doesn't really have an undertone in reality. I think this is why it goes so well with so many different color schemes.

I have natural pecan floors and white or dark cabinets. Sorry don't have a pic right now to show and won't until I'm home during daylight which won't be until this weekend.

Edit: found a pic with it in the background. It looks darker as this was at the end of January and no sun this day, but it will often look lighter too. A bit of a chameleon in a good way.

This post was edited by lyfia on Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 16:41

• User
    10 years ago

I LOVE Manchester Tan. I have it in my family room and I just love it. It's the perfect soft neutral for me. Floor is a neutral beige berber. Good luck!

• badgergal
    10 years ago

Glad to see these posts. I just bought 2 gallons of Machester Tan to paint the MB at my daughter's house. Hope to do it next week. If this thread is still around I will post pictures then. The samples on the wall looked much better in her room than BM's Bleeker Beige which is on the same preview strip.

• aurora_sb16
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting that it looks greige in some spaces, and more beige in others. Thank you for posting pictures!! I really am wanting it too look more greige and light and airy versus fleshy beige... If it's blah beige, which my husband thinks it looks like painted on a posterboard I hang all over my house, then he doesn't want it. I have 7 windows facing north, does that affect how it looks? Wood in the kitchen and carpet in the living room. We don't have a benjamin moore in my town, so I have to color match it. I have matched it at Sherwin Williams, Home Depot and Lowes, and I think Lowes color match is the closest, or seems to be slightly warmer and less fleshy than the others...

• peony4
    10 years ago

Last year I painted my entry and halls, and tested both Halo and Manchester Tan in my trials (along with about 2,000,000 other colors...!). My entry receives little natural light (unlike jillnnj above, whose windows I would love in my entry. In fact, jillnnj, I think your photos were what inspired me to try MT), and the Manchester Tan appeared beige. Like, "builder beige" and very blah, even though I was seeking a light neutral. I was disappointed because I had researched and found so many lovely photos of it. But it didn't work in my space.

I recommend painting a big sample of wall in your space to see if it works. I don't picture it working with Halo, but perhaps you have different lighting than I do.

I love the photo of your Halo above with your wood floor! I have similar tones in my floors, and BM Classic Gray ended up my choice. I love it, but I wouldn't have chosen it based on what I've seen of it online... you have to test it in your space.

• aurora_sb16
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Peony 4 did you have it color matched somewhere or did you get it straight from Ben Moore?

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Can anybody comment on Manchester Tan versus Edgecomb Gray? I'm torn between the two with a slight inclination towards Edgecomb.

• msrose
    10 years ago

nosoccermom- I'm torn between those two also. I'm learning towards EG, but I'm worried about it looking too gray for my house.

• peony4
    10 years ago

Aurora, I tried both, and there were slight differences between the color-matched samples and the BM samples. Be sure to sample with the type of paint you'll be using.

Nosoccermom, I painted a large sample of Edgecomb Gray, and it read slightly peachy/pink at certain times of day. Again, my lighting is odd, though.

• amykath
    10 years ago

Just an FYI, when you have a BM color matched at say, SW it will be different from the actual BM color. My friend and I did that with a few pink paints and it was quite different in the SW. She then went to BM and it looked like the sample she wanted. It was several shades lighter with BM.

Just thought you should know what we discovered.

• Melanie2012
    10 years ago

Most of the ceilings in our new house are Manchester Tan; it is very versatile. Not sure how much my iPad picture will help but here it is with Bennington Gray wall paint and flat Green Tea in the tray area.

• User
    10 years ago

Here's Manchester Tan in our nursery. I really like this color.
    {{!gwi}}

FWIW, It has a green undertone but I don't see it in this room. I did notice it when I held the sample in my kitchen.

• Irish2
    10 years ago

Don't have a picture to show you but I love MT in my kitchen
    that has medium maple cabinets with Bruce Hardwoods in
    Gunstock and Giallo Ornamentale granite counters and
    island. I have (BM) Bleeker Beige in MB &
    ensuite and love that also.

• User
    10 years ago

aurora - I think with all your windows, the Manchester Tan would work in your room. I agree with above poster to paint a big area of the wall in your room.

peony - sorry it didn't work for you, but thank you for sharing your experience. Good to know it might not work in a room with less natural light.

I too noticed the green undertone when I had samples on the wall. In fact, at first I thought it would be too close to the green on my kitchen walls (BM Baby Turtle). Kitchen and family room are very open to each other. But, once the room was painted, I couldn't see any green undertones, even though it's right next to green.

• aurora_sb16
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did Manchester Tan! From Lowes in their satin finish (their eggshell was much more pink than the satin sample).
    I think I really love it!! (We are hoping to do an off white built in and are trying to sell our existing entertainment center and tear out the red pot belly stove and reconfigure that area).
    Now what to do with my windows? Have ikea ritva white drapes and ordering bamboo roman shades from home depot... drapes only at the ends of the windows or in between each?

{{!gwi}}

• threeapples
    10 years ago

I have Halo in one of my laundry rooms and really love it.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I never saw the halo before, but due to this thread, I plan to use it soon. Here's a site with lots of photos of the halo in decorated rooms. It goes well with stained woods.

Here is a link that might be useful: Halo painted rooms

• ttodd
    10 years ago

I really like the Halo & Lyfia - what a beauty!

• madaboutkitchens_gw
    10 years ago

Shanghaimom, MT looks so great in your room! Furniture looks great too. Would you mind sharing where you found the lamps?

• indygo
    10 years ago

The rooms look beautiful, aurora! The Manchester Tan is a great color, a kind of coffee with cream that can take on warmth in some lights.

• shanghaimom
    10 years ago

Aurora,
    The MT looks so nice in your lovely rooms! That's a lot of paint. I can see how you didn't want to make a mistake!

Madaboutkitchens, thank you. I've had those lamps for years...guessing Homegoods??Plain crystal columns. You can certainly find something similar there.

• shanghaimom
    10 years ago

Double post

This post was edited by shanghaimom on Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 22:02

• vjwilkinson
    3 years ago

We repainted most of our old house to update the color before putting it on the market. Old color was an older version of Behr's Navajo White. Loved it, but we were told yellowish colors were the kiss of death for selling. We chose Halo--it comes off gray, but not cold. We loved the color, and we're thinking of using it in our new house. (The walls in the new house are a pale gray with violet undertones--too cold.)