Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

2009 Christmas Tree Pictures..everyone chip in!

Oakley
14 years ago

I've read that I'm not the only one disappointed the old tree topic is gone. So let's upload the pictures again!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (81)

• furletcity
    14 years ago

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}Thanks to buehl's info post, I was able to post larger pictures! Thanks, buehl!

• jlc712
    14 years ago

Here is ours. My DH and DS got a permit and cut this tree down in the national forest near our home. DS (4 years old) is SO proud of this tree. He "helped" a lot with decorating this year, and insisted on having a bow/star combo on the top of the tree.

The poor tree is completely smooshed into our family room. We usually have it in another room, but this year we wanted to put it where we spend most of our time. It's already getting droopy-- or maybe I just have too many ornaments for a real tree :)

It took me forever how to take a picture with no flash, and it still came out very blurry. Sorry!

Happy Holidays!

Jen

• twg7590
    14 years ago

Thanks Cattknap! I love Cherry House. I am originally from Lexington, KY but live in Ohio now. My friends and I go to Cherry House occasionally. I appreciate the help. Inside the drawer there isn't a manufacturer? Oh well. It sure is pretty!

• lisa_mocha
    14 years ago

Some beautiful Christmas decor everyone.

We didn't put up a real tree in the living room this year or do much decorating. I love decorating this time of year, but as we're heading South for the next couple of weeks decided to do just a little bit in the family room.
    A few pics...

WISHING EVERYONE WONDERFUL HOLIDAYS!
    MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Lisa

• jakabedy
    14 years ago

We didn't put the tree up this year as we are in mid-kitchen reno, and the are is consumed with boxes. But here is last year's tree:

• mjsee
    14 years ago

We have our tree up...but the ornaments aren't on yet. Maybe tonight or tomorrow night...it takes me four hours to get the lights on our 7.5 foot tree.

Yeah...I MAY be a little obsessive about the lights. Here' a pic of our tree from 2007...

{{gwi:54254}}

• nhbaskets
    14 years ago

I have two trees. The larger one is in our family room. My favorite ornament is the popcorn I strung for our first Christmas...27 years ago! The smaller tree is in our dining room and has all Williraye ornaments on it. Our grandchildren love the little train that circles around the bottom. Another of my favorite decorations is the garland over our hutch.

Happy Holidays!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

Now that we have a couple of feet of snow, it's looking a lot like x-mas.

Thanks for coming by! Take care now. Drive safely.
    Casey

• lee676
    14 years ago

99 bottles of Beer on the tree,
    99 bottles of Beer...
    Take one down, pass it around,
    98 bottles of Beer on the tree...

Grolsch beer bottle tree

• deeinohio
    14 years ago

Casey:
    Are those Avon plates from the early 80s I see in your dining room hutch? I have the series around here somewhere but haven't but them out in many years. I bought them when my daughter was a baby and toddler and used to love them. Thanks for the memory. Love that bottle tree!
    Dee

• lesmis
    14 years ago

I love seeing all the trees and decorations, they are all so unique and so pretty!

Lisa_mocha, I LOVE all of your decor, it's just perfect! I'm still on the hunt for pillows for you, I found some but they were almost $300 a piece...yikes!

Lee676, what an awesome idea for a tree I bet it looks amazing at night! That would last about 5 mins in my house or less with our two dogs that love to knock stuff over!

Kat :)

• redroze
    14 years ago

This is the first year we've decorated for Christmas. We'll probably do a real tree next year but this year we went relatively simply. I'm sure we'll go all out in future years when our family grows more (with children, cousins, etc.)

Some silver branches in a corner.

Minimal decor by the fireplace.

A fallen birch tree from our neighbour's yard.

I'll decorate the birch tree with a few ornaments such as these birds and crystal star that I'm temporarily hanging on our chandelier.

• begoniagirl
    14 years ago

Since we're in the midst of a remodel, including the painting of our living room in Decatur Buff thanks to so many of your recommendations, here is a photo from last year....Cheers....

• pamghatten
    14 years ago

Here's mine without the lights on ... I'll have to take another one with the lights on now.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Woodland Santa collection ...
    {{!gwi}}

Collection of smaller Santas
    {{!gwi}}

Christmas Cactus and Santas
    {{!gwi}}

Nativity scenes and other misc Santas
    {{!gwi}}

Blue & white Santa in the kitchen
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• sis3
    14 years ago

Here's ours again. Cool colors for our warm Florida climate. It is great to see the diversity of Christmas decorating on this site! Warm Season's Greetings to you all!

• begoniagirl
    14 years ago

Trying once again to post my photo from last year since we're still in the midst of a remodel....
    {{!gwi}}

• tarhlfan
    14 years ago

Thanks all so much for sharing. Beautiful! Here's ours.{{!gwi}}

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Wow what wonderful Christmas decor. Thanks for sharing once again so I could see it. I'd never taken the tour before the "fall of the empire".

• ladyamity
    14 years ago

The original 2009 Christmas Tree Discussion is what got me in the mood to decorate this year.
    I had NO intentions of decorating...didn't have the energy, the spirit just wasn't there.

Then I started watching the original Christmas Tree thread and before I knew it, was was going through the boxes of decoration and was actually excited about doing so!

I want to thank each and every person who posted pics of their tree, their decorations, their ornies, their holiday vignettes on this and the old Christmas Tree topic.

From the simple, to the elegant, from the old memories type of trees to the new sparklies.......each one got downloaded/saved in my 'Holiday Inspiration File' because each and every pic had something I could relate to.

Thank you Everyone on the original Christmas Tree Topic and now this new Christmas Tree 2009 topic!!!

One thing I hope for next year....to be able to have a beautiful backdrop for my tree. This year the tree had to go in the Sunroom against a sliding glass patio door.
    You all have the most beautiful backgrounds in your Tree pics!

First Attempt:

{{!gwi}}

Second Attempt (now with planter urn filled with over a 100 lbs of rock, as a base):

{{!gwi}}

• lilsallyan
    14 years ago

• lilsallyan
    14 years ago

• bonniee818
    14 years ago

Here's mine.........Beautiful Christmas trees , btw everyone!

Close up:
    {{gwi:1460457}}

• rjinga
    14 years ago

Well, I'm late to the party (as usual) but hey better late than NEVER. I just got my tree and it's NOT decorated yet, so I'll have to post a before pic and then come back when I get her all prettied up and post again!

She's at least 9 feet and I sure do like it!! Have still not picked out our new furniture, so we have not gotten rid of the extra couch (not pictured) so for now the arrangement has to be like this. We dont use the FP anyway :)

• nc_dancemom
    14 years ago

Hi, I'm a new poster here. I've been a lurker for years. Love looking at everyone's trees. I love Christmas!

Tree in Dining Room

Small tree in Kitchen

Piano in Living Room

This is what I saw from my breakfast nook windows last Saturday. We don't see snow too often in my part of North Carolina. Merry Christmas to all!

• lesmis
    14 years ago

This thread is so much fun, because not only do we get to see everyones beautiful trees but we also get a peek into all the beautifully decorated homes loaded with antiques, lovely furnishings, gorgeous fabrics, and wonderful paint choices!! I keep coming back and looking over and over again!

Redroze, I love the simplicity of your decorations! And having seen your kitchen over on the kitchen forum it makes sense that the rest of your home would be equally as charming and lovely.

Rjinga, I bet that tree smells wonderful! A 9 foot fresh tree would be heaven, can't wait to see it all decorated!

Kat :)

• stu2900
    14 years ago

I am the worlds worst photographer and can't figure out for the life of me how you all get such beautiful photos, but here's my contribution. Our skinny corner tree. The grown kids aren't happy with the downsizing of the tree and the fact that it's artificial, but it's great for DH and me! Happy Holidays Everyone!!!

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• judithva
    14 years ago

Wow, everyones decorations are wonderful, I love the cyber tour of everyones home.

I had company all day today so I did not get to take a pic of my tree, but hopefully tonight I will have a photo.
    Meanwhile this is a little vignette of my living room side table.

This is in my very small den/library/tv room.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

• tarhlfan
    14 years ago

welcome nc dancemom!! I live in NC as well. We were not fortunate enough to get any snow:( It really does not snow much in Charlotte. sometimes it snows on the other side of town & not here. Go figure!!

• debo_2006
    14 years ago

Lee....that is the coolest tree ever. I may even borrow that idea. Well done. And beautiful other trees, everyone.

• mary_ruth
    14 years ago

WOW everyone's photos are wonderful! Love them ALL, since I am not decorating much (we just moved to Florida from Virginia) and I can't get to much stuff, I am living vicariously through all of you and your hard work in decorating!
    My first photo is 'Santa goes to Florida'!

Another view of my cream bisque santa:

• nc_dancemom
    14 years ago

hellokitty, I live about 20 minutes away from Charlotte in Lincoln County. I know what you mean about how it snows on one side of town and not the other. We only got probably about an inch or 2 and most of that was ice. We went to a party in Mooresville on Friday night (about 20 miles north of us) and they got several inches. Right now all we have is mud, LOL! I love snow!

• User
    14 years ago

Here's mine again. I think Christmas trees (at least mine) look much nicer IRL.
    {{gwi:1465621}}
    {{gwi:1465622}}
    {{gwi:1465623}}
    {{gwi:1465624}}
    {{gwi:1455781}}
    {{gwi:1455775}}
    {{gwi:1455777}}
    {{gwi:1455779}}
    {{gwi:1455780}}
    {{gwi:1451015}}

• chris45ny
    14 years ago

Here is a pic of our little tree with handmade ornaments and some other decorated areas. Happy holidays everyone!!

{{!gwi}}
    This year we opted for a small 4.5" tree.
    {{!gwi}}
    Close up of handmade ornaments.
    {{!gwi}}
    Collection of music globes on coffee table in LR.
    {{!gwi}}
    DR table.
    {{!gwi}}
    Ceramic Copenhagen ware Nativity set made by me. DH needs to make me a stable.
    {{!gwi}}
    Above the kitchen sink.
    Love looking at everyone's beautiful pictures.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Here's a quick shot my DH took for me:

Great trees everyone!

• idie2live
    14 years ago

Beautiful trees, everyone!

I stole this idea from someone - can't remember who.

• igloochic
    14 years ago

Finally I've given up doing anything else so here's what I got done LOL

(christmas decorations arrived via movers on thursday last so I didn't get as much done as I would have if I'd have had more time)

My son's tree at night:
    {{!gwi}}

Same tree daytime...it's all stuffed animals and non breakable ornaments that he is allowed to move about as he wishes:
    {{gwi:1136966}}

The mantel in that room (4 year old helped) it's fake stuff and then filled in with lots of rosemary which I've found growing all over the yard so it smells yummy:
    {{!gwi}}

Dining room...and before you say anything, I know that the trees are all too small for the house, but DH was gone so 6' was all I could handle on my own...next year I'm going tall :)
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1136956}}

{{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1136950}}

Smoking parlor (where you are not allowed to smoke anymore LOL)

{{gwi:1136961}}

{{gwi:1136958}}

{{!gwi}}

And the music parlor, where music is actually allowed :)

{{gwi:1136964}}

The Christmas cactus in the corner there is over 120 years old:
    {{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1136962}}

{{gwi:1136963}}

• deborahnj
    14 years ago

She, love, love, love your trees! Quick question. Did you paint your pedestal and if so, what did you use? I've had mine for a gazillion years but never thought about painting until I saw yours.

Deb

• sjh53
    14 years ago

After 33 years of live trees, three years ago we opted for an artificial tree. There is only one place we have found that works for the tree, and since it is within 6 feet of a wood burning fireplace insert, the artificial tree allows me to put it up earlier and be worry free about it drying out. Still miss the wonderful fir smell though! The tree is a hodgepodge of ornaments collected throughout our marriage; everything from our kids' elementary school ornaments, vacation ornaments and even pheasant feathers from my husband's hunting trips.

A small tree in our bathroom is decorated with birds' nests; including one I found over 20 years ago that had hair from my childhood horse's tail woven into it.

Our third tree is decorated with hand crocheted ornaments made by our dear elderly neighbor 36 years ago for our very first Christmas tree. The tree skirt is a shawl made by my great great aunt, and is much older than the ornaments.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• jaybird
    14 years ago

We don't have a tree this year, but the pictures from our Christmas home tour are linked to my DD's Flickr account.
    All of your homes and trees are beautiful!! Thanks for posting, and Merry Christmas to all of you,
    J

Here is a link that might be useful: Mom's home tour

• rjinga
    14 years ago

OK, gotter done :) with 2 days to spare til Christmas, HA

This is a minimalist tree for me, and since it's so big I was able to use much larger decorations than I normally use.

• ladyamity
    14 years ago

I had to stop in this post seeing there were more postings since I posted on it last.

I am thrilled to see so many wonderful additions to this Christmas Tree Post and I am printing them out as I type.

Again, every picture, every link.....all unique and beautiful trees and decorations!

Only thing wrong with this type of post....
    Just when I see one tree here and decide that next year I'm going with just two colors...
    I see another tree pic and change my mind and decide I'm going Old Fashioned. Then I see another pic and change my mind again and want to go all white. LOL
    NO....I will not put up more than one tree next year...don't even suggest it! LOL

WELCOME out of Lurkdom nc_dancemom!

oakleyok,
    Thank you so much for re-starting this thread...it's been a real treat for me!

I hope the Season brings you all Peace.
    Hugs to all of you!

• User
    14 years ago

Deb! Thank you. :) I wanted to take a close up to post with this so I've been holding off. . . . still don't have the photo. Will try my best to remember tonight.

It was painted already when I found it at the local flee market. I did think about darkening it at one point since it blends with the walls but I don't think it's as bad IRL if that makes sense.

It has the base color and there's other colors rubbed or glazed on different areas.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You're welcome amity! I'm the same way, when I see a different tree I want to copy it with mine. Then I see another and want that one! With my white tree there are so many options for color schemes but I decided I'm going to do what I did this year and just use all my ornaments, mainly glass because it really sparkles on the tree in person.

I've added many more ornaments since the last picture, and I'm still buying them on sale. There's some great deals out there on ornaments right now. Most of the ornaments on my tree now were purchased last January when the prices were slashed in half. Glad I did that!

Shee, I meant to tell you, I think you did an outstanding job on your tree. Love the white ornaments! Your white on the tree is like mine in a way, the white is so peaceful and calming..like snow, while being festive at the same time. Don't you agree?

• Cyndi Charney
    14 years ago

Hi, everyone! I have been a member here for quite a long time, but mostly just lurk due to time constraints. Since I'm on vacation this week and I got a new camera for Christmas, I thought I would share some of Christmas trees here.

This is the family room tree taken through the back door window.

{{!gwi}}

Here's the tree. This is our traditional tree with the hand made ornaments and the ones crafted by the kids. I made the tree skirt when I was a newlywed...eons ago. :)

{{!gwi}}

Which is also when I bought this ornament.

{{!gwi}}

• Cyndi Charney
    14 years ago

Here is our Parlor tree.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

One of my favorite ornaments. I purchased this at the Angel of the Sea in Cape May, NJ.

{{!gwi}}

• oopsie913
    14 years ago

here is a photo of my black hutch we painted and distressed. in our not finished kitchen. the tree is somewhere in this group of photos and any help or comments appreciated as we are overwhelmed with all still to do in this new house to us. But regardless, we had our kitchen and our tree for a lovely Christmas and New Years.
    Happy new year to all!!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

gee whiz, I really meant to do it, but by the time I remembered, the tree had been redecorated and not in a good way. Many of the ornaments are now hanging in the upper 2/3 of the tree.
    Most of the ornaments had been gently taken off the tree by Cooper and brought to us as "gifts"! We then hung them back on the tree, only higher. He didn't do that last year so I wonder what he may think of next year.
    Other ornaments had been "tailed" and were then put out of tail reach. I think we need a different place for our tree next year.
    I enjoyed the first tree post when I was still unable to do much while recuperating- it gave me Christmas spirit as I was hanging around.And the second tree post was just as fun. Oh and I love Cape May at Christmas!
    Thanks!

• dgranara
    14 years ago

Let me preface this by saying the picture quality below is really, really bad. Unfortunately, they're all I've got with me!

I should also say that I know I'm slightly late to the party. We started dismantling yesterday and I couldn't bear the thought of taking everything down w/o getting some pics first. We actually had two trees, one real and one artificial. The real tree was so dried out by yesterday it was...well, let's just say it wasn't ready for it's close up.

Anyway...

Here's the street-facing artificial tree (as you can see we can't fit a star/angel/ribbon on top). At first I was upset about that, but the starlessness has kind of grown on me.

And here's a gratuitous shot of my favorite flowers in the world - tulips. I was absolutely delighted to see them back in the grocery store right before we hosted our family Christmas Party on the day after Christmas. So, I splurged and paid supermarket prices for them - and they were worth it!

This is the flower arrangement a very sweet friend of the family brought me. I love it. I've been in denial about getting rid of it because it's so damn pretty.

And a close up of our mantel. Pretty self explanatory.

Thanks for indulging me :)

• ttodd
    14 years ago

Pre Tree Death (so happy it died!):

Post Tree Death (DH picked out this tree - MUCH BETTER):

It's hard too see becuase of all of the lights but the ornaments are all shades of green, golds and browns. Only the browns are showing up. There is also super tiny gold strands strung w/ 'ice crystals' on the tree

• User
    14 years ago

Here's a few--I tried to make the tree cat-proof i.e. if it got attacked or came down everything would survive.

Jim

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio