Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcolo_gw

Intact 1908 house

marcolo
9 years ago

Video here.

There's a discussion on Kitchens on how people "tire" of wallpaper after two years. I would change almost nothing in this interior, including the grissaile in the dining room and the bedroom wallpaper.

Comments (27)

• sochi
    9 years ago

What a spectacular and charming house. Nothing to be afraid of design wise in there. How old do you think the wallpaper is? It certainly looks to be in excellent shape.

• sweet_tea_
    9 years ago

Gorgeous woodwork and I love all the built ins! I agree, I wouldn't change a thing. Makes you wish for a time when houses were given character and such pride and careful thought went into all the work. I wish I could have an old houseâ¦..

• jlc712
    9 years ago

I absolutely love the wallpaper in the dining room and the blue bedroom. What an amazing, beautiful house. The woodwork, built-ins and staircase are gorgeous.
    My SIL lives in Rochester. I think she should buy it so I can visit :-)

• sochi
    9 years ago

Jlc712, I think she should buy it so we all can visit! I'm only a four hour drive from Rochester. :)

• jlc712
    9 years ago

I'll be sure to let her know :-)
    The funny thing is the whole family loves historic houses. She might be interested if she didn't already have a beautiful old home.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

It reminds me a fair amount of the Maine house, which is '06 or '08 and which we loved because it never seemed to get a fitted kitchen.

These are my kind of homes and the reason I never buy new. Marcolo, isn't this what Newton looks like? I used to live in Montclair and my Boston friends used to say Newton was a doppelganger for Montclair, all turn of the century homes much like this one.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I would have to change one thing. I see there is a lack of my favorite Jacobean Flower wallpaper. I would add some and remove those puffy valance type things. I love the lack of curtains and perhaps my favorite thing is the pass through opening between the kitchen and dining room.

• maddie260
    9 years ago

I would move in tomorrow.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

What a beautiful home. Thank you for posting that -- such great wallpaper and especially the dining room. The main kitchen, though, seems like it was changed a bit -- it seems like it may be of a lightly different era, it's hard to tell in the video.

• User
    9 years ago

The one wallpaper looked somewhat similar to the tree motif fabric pattern you posted on another thread, Marcolo. I love the vertical tree pattern and it's nice to see how beautifully it works on the walls of that home, almost like walking through a forest. I would absolutely keep it and choose the decor around it......deep green velvet upholstery, aged brass, Aubusson rug in deep golds and greens......

I also found myself wanting to rip out those valances!

The proportions of the room look fabulous, and I don't think that was just the wider lens angle. My favorite room is the sun porch with decorative lattice on the walls. I am completely in love with that look!!

• kathy_ny
    9 years ago

Marcolo thank you so much for posting this. I live in Rochester and have often wished I could see the interiors of these amazing homes that this neighborhood is known for. Wonderful to see that this one has been left intact. Not to detract from this discussion but the house a couple of doors down from this is Frank Lloyd Wright's Boynton House which recently underwent a complete restoration.

Here is a link that might be useful: Boynton House on East Blvd

• hhireno
    9 years ago

I call dibs on bedroom #4 with the balcony.

• teeda
    9 years ago

Gorgeous. I would make some changes in the kitchen--replace the sink and existing sink cabinetry with something more period appropriate and install an aga (as you suggested) or vintage stove. I'd also remove the add on closet seen in one of the bedrooms. That's it!

• graywings123
    9 years ago

I'm swooning over the portico on the side.

• deegw
    9 years ago

It's really lovely but much of the downstairs is too dark for me. The dark wood combined with Rochester's less than sunny weather would not be a good combination for me.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Thank god nobody has commented "I just love foursquares, blah, blah, blah"
    Call this a foursquare, and I. will. kill. you.
    That green was evidently the preferred color for sunrooms at the time the house was built; I repainted one like that once. Institutional green.
    The only things I would change are the examples of 1960's "antiqueing kit" finishes I saw in two or three rooms, and on the attic doors (they were antiqued dark green!). One of the first floor rooms that was entirely paneled (originally in hardwoods I presume) had been painted white and then glazed. Noticed a similar treatment on one of the mantels. Every important room has a FP! This is dreamy; nice lot, too.
    Casey

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

Wonderful house. The grab bar by the entrance step is evocative of the passage of time. Grand Dame exit stage right. Soccer mom enter stage left. No insult meant to soccer mom's since they come in all sorts. It's just lazy writing on my part.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

That house is a treasure, thanks for sharing the link. I also love the grisaille mural and the bedroom chinoiserie...I don't care for the hall wallpaper because its too much tightly repeating pattern all over the place ( for my taste)

Yes, the house is very similar to the Maine coast cottages from that era. I participated in a decorator showhouse this past summer that was built in 1906 and see many similarities- including the colored bathroom fixtures! It is funny how kitchens in those old homes were so unimportant...certainly not the rock stars of the home that they are today. I have clients who live in those turn of the century cottages and they all say the original kitchens were basically dark, small spaces.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

I could be happy in the carriage house.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Beautiful home. I could move right in, but would paint the pink bathroom. Carriage house needs quite a bit of work, imo.

Thanks for posting! What a gem.

• awm03
    9 years ago

What a gem. I wouldn't change much either, just a better shade of pink in the 3rd floor bath (been hankering for a pink room lately). I'd do a light-handed modernization in the kitchen -- just counter, sink, and appliances.

Loved the dining room windows and the crystal knobs on the doors.

• cawaps
    9 years ago

I thought it was pretty fabulous. Like Coll_123, I thought the hallway wall paper might be too much of a good thing for me. And I didn't care for the pink floral wallpaper in one of the 3rd floor bedrooms. But I could be very happy there with no changes at all.

• marcolo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The listing photos show other cool features.

I think that's an original birdcage shower. Spray comes out of all those individual ribs.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Oh, man, I should post what 629K buys in my neck of the woods :(

• scpalmetto
    9 years ago

More than 4600 sf with original features and it is only $629? Wow!

• marcolo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm sure the taxes are astronomical. A quirk of New York State real estate. Also most of the city schools are bad. If this house were in a particular suburb down the road, the price would be double. However, the neighborhood is stunning, safe, and a short walk to bars and restaurants.

Around me, such a pristine house would not exist. Someone would have opened it up, painted the woodwork, maybe installed large modernist windows in a couple of the rooms, put in a 1980s kitchen then put it on the market for $3.2 M.