Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19692983

links to best free photo editor programs

User
16 years ago

After working on msjay2u's home with the programs I had already downloaded or came with Windows XP I decided to do some more hunting online for free or lowcost. I came up with two for free that are pretty good. My favorite, or at least easiest so far to use is the link below. The other is Gimp, but don't know how to add a link inside my message so I'll have to get right back to you all for that link.

Here is a link that might be useful: VicMan Photo Editor

Comments (20)

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

And here's a link to Gimp. Make sure to keep this website handy for help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gimp

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

Have you tried IrfanView? It's super easy and fantastic, IMO. Here's a link to download it:

Here is a link that might be useful: IrfanView download link

• susieq07
    16 years ago

I use Picasa2 love it, free download

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Hoosiergirl and Susie, but I have a couple questions about those programs. Do they have selection tools so you can select a certain area of a photo and change the color of it? And if so how easy is it to do? If they have a magic select tool does it work well or select everything in the photo that's the same tone no mater what color it is?
    What I'm looking for is a program that I can do virtuals with ease and not take an hour or two to do just one part of a one.
    Thanks!

• msjay2u
    16 years ago

justgotabmeyou hit the name on the head because I do not think Irfinview or Picassa can do that.
    I am going to check out Vic man first see if I can use that then if not Gimp next.
    BTW I been showing off all work as if I had done it myself.

• woodswell
    16 years ago

PhotoPlus 6 is free - and the upgrade to the current version 8 is only $9.99. I know it does layers, and some pretty sophisticated selection tools. Since I am used to Photoshop, the interface is pretty intuitive.

Here is a link that might be useful: PhotoPlus 6

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

I have a post here called free software.. Look under misc, there is a program called color grabber, then an entry for photo programs.

I also have the program Picture It Express if anyone would like it.

• susieq07
    16 years ago

I use and love Picasa2 by Google Free download

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you MSJAY. You go girl. I'm glad you are so pleased with what I and other's did for you. I know how it is getting myself and hubby to want the same things in our home. Often a compromise winds up being something we both like better than our own ideas. That's why I did the combo the way I did it. Plus, I love green! ;>
    WOODSWELL, I have PhotoPlus 6 on my to-try list. If I like it I may just pay the $9.99 to get the next version.
    ROSE,thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it. I tried the color grabber and see it's a zip file. Hubby taught me how to unzip ages ago, but looks like I need a refresher course.
    SUSIE, as far as I know the Picasa doesn't do what I'm wanting to do. I hear it's a great photo program though.

I wish SQUIRREL would check in. She gave me one to try and I loved it, but I lost it somehow. I've searched everywhere on my computer. I didn't think it was just a trial one either.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

ROSE,thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it. I tried the color grabber and see it's a zip file. Hubby taught me how to unzip ages ago, but looks like I need a refresher course.

Sorry.. I had to get the link for the Picture It from my other computer, then by the time I sifted through links, was so worn out that I forgot to post the directions...

In XP - save the file. I usually make a folder called Downloads or My Downloads on the C drive. Next, right click the zipped file, select extract all. Let it unpack it in the default location. Once it is extracted find the icon to install. It will install in the C/Program Files.

For color grabber - extract, then you can leave it in your downloads or copy and paste the folder into Program Files. You need not do anything except right click the color grabber icon & send to the desktop.

Once color grabber is open, you will see a box at the top right, put your mouse on that box, then "drag it" over a color you like. It will then give you the RBG code to that color. If you want to save the color, click one of the boxes that says save. It allows you to save 10 colors. If you need to save more, what I've done is used color grabber out of different locations... I'll make an entry in "My Documents" called House Projects / with another folder for the room, then throw the color grabber program there. With each room you work on, you make a new folder, throwing color grabber in each.

I used to make web sites, color grabber was very handy to match colors.

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Rose! I'm going to copy and paste it to Word so if I ever forget I'll have it. I meant to ask my hubby, but kept forgetting! You're a dear! It's loading now! Thanks so very much.

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrel, where are you? I was hoping you'd see this and chime in on the two programs you told me about. I lost the one I liked the most and cannot remember the name at all! Well, other than I THINK it started with an "S".

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Just happened to open this -- I thought this was a thread about free pgm suggestions :)

I use MS Digital Imaging Suite (prev Picture It!) which has been discontinued. I also snapshot the screens with ScreenPrint Platinum.

I don't remember what I told you :) maybe throw some memories out there to jog something :)

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Top 8 Free Photo Editors for Windows - one that starts with "S" is Serif

Here's another list of free photo programs - there's a lot of entries at this one.

Paint.net one review says: "It's like a free Photoshop."

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Squirrel and Rose! Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I've been having trouble with my computer it kept crashing so as soon as I started checking on threads it would crash and I'd forget what I was doing by the time I got it to stay online at all.
    SQUIRREL I was thinking the one I like the best was SP, but that's not a photo program. I sill have the MS Digital Imagnig Suite and like it, but I wonder if some of what it can do disappears after a trial period? I forgot I had a stash of change in a jar setting on top of my CPU so if I have any left after Christmas I'll possibly buy myself the Corel PSP. If I don't find on from the list from ROSE.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

For the computer problem..

boot it up and tap the F8 key, it will boot into safe mode. Chose safe mode with networking. It may ask which account to boot into, choose the user that is having problems if you have more then one.

Go into the control panel - click on start, you should see it listed. If not, (I'm running Vista) it might be start, settings, control panel. In the control panel look for administrative tools - event viewer - I think you need applications, scroll down to see if there is an error, should be a red X. read what it says. There should be a place where you can click a link to go to Microsoft.. do that and see if it offers a fix. If not, post back what you see.

To get out of safe mode reboot

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I forget what MS does after the trial, but that is what happens sometimes after the trial period.

Does Corel change objects in perspective? That's a really nice feature to have.

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Roselvr for the advise. I had already done that and there was no fix according to them, so I called my hubby this morning at work. He's a programmer/analist in IT at a major medical center. I told him I either had a virus or possibly I needed to unload some of the many programs I've downloaded to try and it had been awhile since I'd defragged. He agreed that was the way to go first since I was still able to use or get to everything I had on my computer and there was no sign of anything else wrong. Once I did all that it's been back to normal.

Squirrel, I'm not sure what you mean by change objects in perspective.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Sounds like you're in good hands :)

Do you remember what the error was?

What I like to do is use a 40 gig hard drive for the main drive, then I get a larger drive for a slave to have my documents and other stuff (like downloads). So far it's worked out really well especially with XP since you can change the location of "My documents".

Depending on how old your last OS install is, you might be better off to just back up & reformat. Talk to hubby to see what he says.

Have you tried doing a Panda scan?

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Change the angle of a table, take an online rug picture and lay it on the floor (instead of floating a rectangle in the air :) -- that kind of stuff.