Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

Ringling mansion kitchen and baths

robo (z6a)
9 years ago

Did a tour today of Ca d'Zan (John and Mabel Ringling's ca 1926 winter mansion in Sarasota).

Thought you might be interested in some of the kitchen and bathroom details!

Kitchen - electric refrigerators
{{gwi:2142666}}

Kitchen - double sinks
{{gwi:2142667}}

Kitchen - built in hoosier-type cab
{{gwi:2142668}}

Pantry - footed base cabinets with glass knobs and stacked, latched uppers.
{{gwi:2142669}}

"German silver" sink in pantry - soft metal so as to not chip the china
{{gwi:2142670}}

Comments (11)

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some bathroom details

John ringling's tub - carved out of solid siena marble.
    I particularly like the two sets of taps - one for fresh and one for saltwater!

{{gwi:2142671}}

Guest room bath. Glass leg marble top vanity. Painted medicine cabinet. To die for rose tile. Ceramic cross handles.

{{gwi:2142672}}

{{gwi:2142673}}

Spanish tile in the gold guest room
    {{gwi:2142674}}

Snuck this pic in as I like the custom frames for Mabel's Spanish fan collection.
    {{gwi:2142675}}

Gold bathroom with painted medicine cabinet door, black marble vanity with black glass legs.
    {{gwi:2142676}}

Aqua bathroom with some more banging floor tile. Ceramic cross handles.
    {{gwi:2142677}}

Another glass leg marbletop vanity (green marble)
    {{gwi:2142678}}

The simplest bathroom (up in the mansion tower) but my favorite.
    {{gwi:2142679}}

This post was edited by robotropolis on Mon, Dec 15, 14 at 23:29

• jakabedy
    9 years ago

Very nice! I love that it's been preserved and maintained so well.

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Beautiful bathroom floor tiles, especially the last bathroom, and the tiles in the aqua bathroom!

Is there a functional reason for the very wiggly sink divider, in the German Silver sink?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Nice. Thanks for posting these. Man they liked busy floors!

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I meant to ask about the sink divider! I was wondering if it might be related to limited range of motion of the water tap.

Annie - being circus people and enormously rich I don't think they were bound by conventional good taste so the whole thing was very personal. John told Mabel her budget was 'unlimited' for the decor. Chandelier from Waldorf Astoria was hanging in their main court. She chose like a Venetian/Moorish/carnivale theme for most of the house. But they were also very influenced by Versailles. Most of the door frames and trim was either 24k gold, 14k gold, or black walnut. Just about every ceiling was painted.

It was a treat seeing so many old bathrooms at once, I think someone said there were 13 in the house.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Tue, Dec 16, 14 at 7:20

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I wish people were more fast and loose with tile these days. Of course, it can be outrageously expensive. There is so much deep, rich color available in ceramic!

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Even though this is a mansion, the bathrooms are modest in size. Some of them are expensive little jewel boxes, but despite their wealth, the owner didn't need auditorium sized bathrooms like people seem to want now.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Visiting this place for the first time several years ago influenced me to use a faux moroccan backsplash tile in our kitchen. I only used a bit but next time, much more (depending on budget).

Mabel's bathroom was pretty big, maybe 10x12? I didn't take a pic as it was more conventional looking. John's was more traditionally sized although I'm sure the Siena marble book matched wall panels and 24k gold trim wasn't cheap. He also had a separate exercise room with the only shower in the house.

Found a pic of Mabel's bathroom:
    {{gwi:2142680}}

This post was edited by robotropolis on Tue, Dec 16, 14 at 11:16

• cluelessincolorado
    9 years ago

circuspeanut should see this! She'd be swooning over the German metal sink...

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Apparently, that serpentine divider was traditional for the German silver sinks made years ago. Sometimes the drains were nestled tightly into the curves. Maybe just a style choice that became a classic part of the style?

Or maybe there was a plumbing benefit to having the two drains aligned in a row (no idea). I agree Circuspeanut would probably know about these.

www.germansilversinks.com

• Olychick
    9 years ago

for those inspired by the sink design...

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage German Silver sink

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting